Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed the Muthco Turn Signal Mirrors last week and the install went well. Everything was working fine today as well and then just now I went for a drive a few minutes ago and for some reason the turn signals weren't functioning. When I tried activating the left or right turn signals, neither did the dashboard indicators or the actual turn signals (both front, rear and side mirrors) did not work (everything else on the dashboard worked fine however). I tried to see if turn signals would activate via the emergency lights switch and still nothing.

Odd..

But the front flashers do work because my aftermarket alarm when in lock mode, flashes the front signals & fog lights so I don't know why the signals don't work when I initialize via the turn signal level.

Any ideas?? :confused:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I know you probably checked the fuse correct? I have no idea where the flasher unit is yet, but that would be my next step. However, since you modified the turn signal system a bit installing the mirrors, I would concentrate on the wiring there. Anything being pinched at the door area? Try disconnecting the mirrors and see if you get signal function back.

Keep us informed as to what you find. I know I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't get a chance to check the fuse last night, I'll have to take a look at it this evening. It could be a short somewhere. How can I test for that?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, if the fuse is blown, that would be a really good indicator that something is amiss. These aftermarket mirrors use LED lights so I doubt the increase current would cause a blown fuse. I think the instructions have a troubling shooting section, correct? I think I would start there.

You are obviously a skilled "Saturday Mechanic" type of person, especially since you installed these mirrors your self, contrary to the manufacturers suggestion, so I have no doubt you will find the culprit. BTW, do you have any pictures of your instillation? These mirrors look really cool in the web site. Love to see them on your Sequoia ....after you get them working that is!

Good luck. Finding electrical problems is a tough nut to crack since electrical circuits these days can rival those used on space crafts! Keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You learn as you go haha. But yeah def I will take some pics when they're working again, they're sweet and I love them in amber!

Unfortunately the instructions doesn't have a troubleshooting section but I think it might be where we grounded the wire.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turns out there was a short on the drivers side by the door and the boot. I ended up just rewiring that area with electrical tape and heat shrink to protect it from the metal and was able to get it through the boot. I haven't had a chance to take pics but I will soon, they are beautiful at night!

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it looks like the signals are acting up again. This time when I activate the left signal, it works fine. But when I activate the right signal, it will flash once then stop. I notice when it does flash for when activating the right, there seems to be a power drain, the interior lights will dim noticeably for a quick second. When I activate the emergency flashers tho, it will flash once then stop, also causing a slight dim in the lights for that one flash. What could be causing this? What can resolve this? Everything has been working fine since I resolved the last issue of there being a short, this just happened out of the blue.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Well it looks like the signals are acting up again. This time when I activate the left signal, it works fine. But when I activate the right signal, it will flash once then stop. I notice when it does flash for when activating the right, there seems to be a power drain, the interior lights will dim noticeably for a quick second. When I activate the emergency flashers tho, it will flash once then stop, also causing a slight dim in the lights for that one flash. What could be causing this? What can resolve this? Everything has been working fine since I resolved the last issue of there being a short, this just happened out of the blue.
The first thing I would do is check the right side wiring harness for signs of a short and for an open ground anywhere in the right tunsignal circuit. If the ground isn't good, it can cause this. Usually, hazards and turnsigals use a separate signalstat. If both t/s and hazard circuits are affected, it's probably not a bad signalstat...even though both signalstats may be intagrated into the same module. (not sure on this particular model)

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first thing I would do is check the right side wiring harness for signs of a short and for an open ground anywhere in the right tunsignal circuit. If the ground isn't good, it can cause this. Usually, hazards and turnsigals use a separate signalstat. If both t/s and hazard circuits are affected, it's probably not a bad signalstat...even though both signalstats may be intagrated into the same module. (not sure on this particular model)
What is a signalstat?

I checked the ground connection, everything is fine. I still can't understand why it would flash once then stop only on 1 side.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
What is a signalstat?

I checked the ground connection, everything is fine. I still can't understand why it would flash once then stop only on 1 side.
"Signalstat"....a.k.a. "flasher"
If it is hunting for ground it may have enough to trip the flasher once, but not twice. The flasher works off of resistance. If there is not sufficient ground to offer enough resistance to heat the bimetal spring in the flasher, it will not work correctly. Anything from a corroded socket, to a bad bulb, to a loose screw at the body ground, can cause problems with flasher operation.

Find the ground wire for the right turnsigal circuit near one of the sockets.
I would choose the ground wire at the right rear turnsignal socket.
Probe it with a test light.
Turn on the turnsignal or hazard lamps.
If your test light illuminates, you have a bad ground. (be sure you probed the ground wire, not +)

Does every bulb in the right turnsignal circuit blink once? Be sure every bulb illuminates.
If the + wire is grounded, you won't get illumination. If your ground is bad, you can still get illumination because the power will "chase" ground through another path. Old Chevy's are a good example of this. When a brake lamp has a bad ground, it will come on for a split second, then go out, while the park light on the front comes on due to the power from the brake lamp circuit chasing and finding a ground in the park lamp circuit.

A faulty flasher can operate on one side, but not the other. If the system uses a single flasher for both the hazard and turnsignal circuit, then it is possible that you have a bad flasher. If it uses separate flashers for turnsignals and hazards, it's probably not a faulty flasher since it's highly unlikely that both would fail at the exact same time.

Hope that made some sense, it's pretty late.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Where would the flasher be located?
Lots of late model cars incorporate the flasher into the turnsignal switch assembly. They can get pretty expensive, so I would try to eliminate other possibilities before throwing a turnsignal switch at it. I'll do some digging to see if I can come up with definitive answers on how many flashers, and if they are located in the turnsignal switch assy.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Looks like the flasher is integrated with the turnsignal switch.

Do you have an aftermarket tow/trailer light adapter? On cars with separate turnsignal and brake lamp bulbs, an adapter is required to change the signal for a trailer that has a single bulb for both turnsignals and brake lamps. If the module in the adapter is faulty, it could affect flasher operation, too. It's not a common occurance, but a possibility. I saw it occasionally on Jeep Grand Cherokees with aftermarket tow wiring. The module would fail and cause issues with the vehicle lighting.

Do any or all of the right side exterior lamps flash once before the flasher stops cycling?........or is there no illumination at all?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, I don't have an aftermarket light adapter connected. Just the tow hitch and the harness which isn't hooked to anything. I checked the wires around that area and everything is still intact, nothing loose or disconnected.

As for the right side signals, the right front and right rear bulbs will go off very lightly when flashing once before stopping. The bulbs don't turn on fully as normal operation. As for the turn signal mirror, it doesn't light up at all. Or at least it wasn't visible enough to notice it went off.

I wonder if the lights blew in the turn signal mirror. If so, can I disconnect the ground connection for the turn signal mirror to disable to see if the signals work without the turn signal mirror? I don't have a test light to check the connection so I thought that might be an alternative way. Or could it be the turn signal relay?

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
No, I don't have an aftermarket light adapter connected. Just the tow hitch and the harness which isn't hooked to anything. I checked the wires around that area and everything is still intact, nothing loose or disconnected.

As for the right side signals, the right front and right rear bulbs will go off very lightly when flashing once before stopping. The bulbs don't turn on fully as normal operation. As for the turn signal mirror, it doesn't light up at all. Or at least it wasn't visible enough to notice it went off.

I wonder if the lights blew in the turn signal mirror. If so, can I disconnect the ground connection for the turn signal mirror to disable to see if the signals work without the turn signal mirror? I don't have a test light to check the connection so I thought that might be an alternative way. Or could it be the turn signal relay?
Without a test light, it might be tough to pin it down. I would remove the right side mirror from the equation entirely. Unplug the mirror wiring connector removing both power and ground to the mirror. Retest and see if your turnsignals work. Since you just installed them, they are the most likely culprit.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I haven't had a chance to update this thread. Luckily one of my friends is an electrician and he was able to figure this out in the matter of minutes. It turns out it was the wiring from the right side mirror that was causing the short, the issue was somewhere within the door. We'll have to rerun a new set of wires through the door but have yet to do this, just waiting on some free time. Because of the way the actual mirror is angled, the cars on the right side of me do not get a clear view of that turn signal mirror unless if you're within 3ft of me or directly behind me. So I was thinking about adding a small led strip or led blinker perhaps right after the fender flare of the front right & left wheels as well, just haven't found anything that I like. But all that matters now is that the turn signals are functioning normally except for that 1 mirror lol. THANK YOU for your help and analysis of the problem. It would have taken me literally hours to figure out something that was so simple.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Can anyone help me find replacement turn signal mirrors like oem? Im going nuts looking for them, and all I find are non signal ones. I purchased a used Sequoia, and they rigged the driver side. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have Toyota Tundra sr5 2000 my hazed and turn signals do not work I put a relay in it make a clicking sound but have no light no were flashers or turn signals can any one help me on this

1 - 20 of 20 Posts