Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have a problem with this 1992 4runner.:cry: Idles erratic and has a rich mixture,black smoke coming from exhast.I tested with a TPS and airflow sensor borrowed from a working vehicle and no improvement at all.Has anyone experienced this same problem?:confused: If you did please advised how you solved it:) .Thank you in advance for any answers.:ts:

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
Lou, a little more info would be helpful;
Does/is the check engine light come on?
Have you checked for any codes?
When was the last time a complete tune-up was done?
How many miles on it?
It could be a number of things. Carboned up throttle plate (doubtful though), bad O2 sensor/s, bad fuel pressure regulator, injector/s, vacuum leak, etc.?
If no tune-up has been done, it's ready.
If all is OK after tune up...if not, hook up a scanner and read all the values.
Good luck!:tu:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks :ts: Flashgordon for the reply, it only has 36,000 mi. it has new s.plugs ,ign cables,dist. cap and rotor,fuel and air filters also tried with another ign. distributor because it did have a code 12. One curious thing I just noticed the other day when I started it just to warm it up was that if I rev it up to around 3,000 rpm for a while all of a sudden the condition goes away.idles smooth and stops with the rich mixture but then you turn it off,try to restart and it will not start.After letting it stand for aprox. 15 min. then it will start but with the bad idle and rich mixture.Hope this extra info can help you help me to diagnose the problem.Thanks again for your support.:ts:

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
Lou, you need to hook it up to a scanner for a proper diagnosis.

Good luck!:tu:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flashgorden, I have two scanners an AutoXray and the OTC neither one can connect to the DLC this model year has.I obtained the code 12 by jumping a wire across in the DLC as instructed in the shop manual.What do you reccomend.

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
Lou, code 12 doesn't mean anything to me. You really need to find a decent scanner that will hook up to your 4R.
Good luck and let us know. :tu:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts