Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 05 Tundra for about 4 years now, just hit over 100,000 miles and it is starting to make a terrible squeaking/clicking/rattling sound when I slow down or speed up. Sounds like it may have something to do with the transmission or possibly u joints? I'm very confused on what is wrong, if any of you know the solution or what is wrong, I am a do-it-yourselfer wanting to fix it my self!

If it helps at all, truck has done its time pulling boats/trailers etc.....

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
It's easy to check out the U-joints. I assume you have 4WD? A guy I used to know said to look for "rusty dust" at the U-joints. I probably grease my U-joints and slip joint too often, but better than too little.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You can't grease the u joints on the 2wd. FWIW, I had all my u joints replaced. The first to go was the rearmost one in front of the rear diff at about 80k. Replaced the other two at a little over 100k as I started to experience the same noise as when the first one went, which was a squeaking in reverse. Also had a slight rumbling sound on decel right before replacing the other two. Most likely that is the source of your noises.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds exactly that the problems that i have been having. Thank yall for the help. Now the task of replacing them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts