Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you guys don't mind me posting here with my 2010 Sequoia but I'm not getting much feedback on the Sequoia forum. The Tundra guys do a lot more off roading type mods and would probably have a lot more input to my problem/solution. As I understand it, B pillar on forward is the same on the Tundra as Sequoia.

I went to Inyo/Mammoth a couple of weeks ago and really got the bug to do some off roading/trail exploring. We had a great time but the stock tires suck and I high centered on packed snow. Took me about 20 minutes to get unstuck and I don't want to go through that again. That said, I would like to gain a few inches of ground clearance and put on more capable treads.

Here are my thoughts for upgrades after some research;

Front Suspension: Icon c/o's w/ 2.5" lift
Upper Control Arm: Total Chaos. I'm still debating if I really need this. Does anyone have any input on before and after install? Are the UCA's really necessary. Did it help with performance or durability?
Rear Suspension: Custom Deaver springs 2.5" lift
Rear Shocks: Some say leave it stock or should I go with Bilstein 5100's?
Tires: Toyo Open Country MT 275/65/20. From the reviews I've read, the Toyo MT offers a good compromise between streetability and off road capability. The major complaint was the weight. Has anyone compared the Toyo OC MT's to the BFG KM2's?
Rims: Either MHT Fuel Octane 20x9 or KMC Monsters 20x9
Skid plates: Does anyone add skid plates for the diff or anything else?

I'm on the fence with the UCA, rear shocks and tires. Any help with the setup would be appreciated. Also how hard are the UCA's to install? Do other's do it themselves? Thanks for the help.

steven

·
Registered
112 Posts
Doesn't the Sequoia have independent rear suspension? If so, the typical Tundra rear suspension mods won't work...

I'd suggest taking it easy first - get some upgraded tires and see how you go. I put BFG TAs on my stock TRD and it went great out at Anza Borrego just this last weekend.

Good luck!

·
Registered
754 Posts
if money was no object I change that rear tundra out to the sequioa whoo hooo
Doesn't the Sequoia have independent rear suspension? If so, the typical Tundra rear suspension mods won't work...

I'd suggest taking it easy first - get some upgraded tires and see how you go. I put BFG TAs on my stock TRD and it went great out at Anza Borrego just this last weekend.

Good luck!

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
The Seqouia IRS will give an awesome ride in rough terrain at slow to medium speeds. On dirt road/fire roads with small bumps it will be awesome. IRS limitations offroad include little articulation in crawling situations, and longer travel for high speed in big bumps. The frame is completely boxed and will simply blow the Tundra away in ride quality.

Rear shocks should be an easy upgrade, I'd be happy to come up with something for you if the off the shelf options are not what you want. No idea if lift springs exist, but I'm sure there are some spacers (gulp) that would fit the bill.

Tires.... how much mud do you get into? You might be better off with an AT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts