·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
background:
1st amp requires 40 amp fuse
2nd amp requires 30 amp fuse

choice #1
1) within 12 inches of the battery mount an inline fuse holder with a 70 amp fuse

2) within a few inches of that, mount a fused distribution block (with fuses: 1 30 and 1
40)

3) send two wires out of the block, one for each amp. note: this is the "long run"
(4+ feet)

choice #2
1) within 12 inches of the battery mount an inline fuse holder with a 70 amp fuse

2) run a "long run" to the fused distribution block (with 30a&40a) located very close to
both amps

3) send two short wires out of the block, one for each amp

which is safer? any better ideas?

·
Registered
819 Posts
I would say the choice 2 is the safer. You got the fuse near the battery, one in the distribution block, and you should have fuses in the amp also.

·
Registered
379 Posts
What size is the wire you're proposing? If the main wire from the battery is 4ga, you should fuse it for 125A. I'd assume that you'd use 8ga from the block to the amp so you should fuse that for 60A. The fuses are there to protect your wires and overall, your truck. They aren't really there to protect your gear because in most cases, the equipment will fail long before the fuse goes...

·
Premium Member
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4 gauge from battery all the way until the distribution block. 8 gauge from distribution block to amplifiers. yes each amp has it's own built-in fuse as well.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Either is fine. The choice is aesthetic.

But you could use a larger fuse in the main fuse holder (100amp, 150amp etc.) for the sake of using a common size if it blows.

·
Registered
379 Posts
And just for reference sake, I'd never use a breaker in a car I cared about. They call them "break"ers for a reason. :) I've seen too many fail in the closed position to ever trust them. Solid element fuses are the way to go (ANL, MAXI, AFS).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts