Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought myself a new tt yesterday, and just weighed it loaded with all my gear (and crap) from 3 weeks worth of camping. However, some of the numbers I got don't make complete sense to me.

First off, trucks ratings for my 08 dc, 4x4, 5.7 w/ tow package
payload 1395
tow rating 10,300
gcwr 16,000
gvwr 3220kg (7099lbs) (door sticker)

claimed trailer ratings
hitch 782
drw weight 7266
gvwr 9680
door sticker for unloaded weight w/ options 7586

Now here's what the weigh scale told me
Front axle 1520 kg (3351lbs)
Rear axle 1900kg (4188lbs)
Trailer 3470kg (7650lbs)

Total Weight 15189.85lbs

Now I see that I am under my gcwr, however, it appears that I am above my gvwr. I know that I am 20kg over my rear axle rating, but I had my old wd hitch in the back of the box, so with that removed, I'll be well under the 1880kg rating on my door.

Why does it appear that my 1/2 tank of water, + 2 30lb propane bottles plus all my gear weigh only a couple hundred pounds on the scale?

I know I didn't do the actual hitch weight, but I had a crying baby in the truck :baby:

I just find it a little hard to believe that with me and the wife (approx 300lbs combined), plus 20lb baby, two 15lbs dogs, 2 bikes, a stroller, and my old wd hitch, that I'm 300 lbs over my gvwr.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a couple pics of my new unit. I honestly thought that the truck would struggle more and sit alot more then it currently does

·
Registered
916 Posts
So confused with your standard and metric being intertwined.... You need a weight distribution hitch or airbags/helper springs to raise the rear up a touch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 1200lb Reese weight distribution hitch that I am using in that pic. I'm gonna try snugging it up a link on my next trip.

After doing more research, while I am still under the 16000 gcvw, I am still overloaded based off my payload and vehichle gvwr.

And what is confusing? I did all of the conversions for you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
There's a thread somewhere here with my numbers and they are similar to yours but I'm a bit heavier. I've towed it from MI to FL and back and everywhere in between. I think you're fine and well within the capability of the truck. Just try resetting up your hitch and reloading the weight in the trailer. I've been trying to shift weight to the trailer and off of the truck. My water tank is in the front so I've stopped filling it 1/2 way and went to 1/3. I also readjusted my hitch to put more weight on the front axle of the truck which will improve the ride.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would agree with jdubh, you are probably just at your gvwr, hitch weight is sometimes a bit more than you might think. I am also right at my gvwr with wife, two bicycles, one lightweight canoe, a bit of gear and stuff, weight of actual hitch (equalizers are HEAVY) and hitch weight which I think is 700 - 750 pounds. I am well under my gcwr of 14000 for the 4.6L at 12000 pounds and pretty happy with the performance overall. I think you are in good shape personally and some minor adjustments to hitch, weight in trailer, etc. should do it. I have air bags for my truck and actually find that anything over 15 lbs or so causes more problems than they solve.By the way, nice trailer!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have air bags for my truck and actually find that anything over 15 lbs or so causes more problems than they solve.By the way, nice trailer!
Same here but I go with 17lbs...more than that and it bounces like hell. Wish I had done the blistien adjustable shocks and super springs instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts