Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the processing of changing my oil for the first time. I having trouble getting my oil filter cap off. I am using a plastic Fram F1105 65/67 mm 14 flute oil filter wrench and it keeps slipping off. Does anyone have an idea how I can break it loose???

·
- ? -
1,305 Posts
the 65mm flutes are what you want so you need to cut the top 67mm flutes off. The filter wrench is to deep to catch on the bottom flutes.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I bought a 65mm 14 flute as reconmended on here and it would not fit, I ended up getting a 65-67mm 14 flute and used a rag over the filter housing to add a little as it kept slipping, worked great.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I found putting a folded over paper towel flat on the wrench and then putting the wrench on the filter cap such that the paper towel was sandwiched between the two to take up a little of the excess space helped a lot. But like was also mentioned, cut off the larger 67mm part to be sure you are completely seating the wrench on the filter cap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I threw away that garbage fram flute wrench. I ended up using a traditional oil filter strap wrench to back off the filter housing. The clearances are tight. I still need to find a better one at NAPA or some place online.

I've heard of others here over-torquing the drain plug such that they end up unscrewing the filter cap with a half inch drive (or is it 3/8 ths... don't remember). It'll work. I'm just not a fan of this method.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered the KD3253 filter wrench off of Ebay and it fits perfectly on the filter housing.

·
Registered
987 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
One thing to think about...I just bought the filter wrench from toyota that fits great with no slipping. I know it was costly (40 bucks) but it does the job great and was easy to just go get. Just got tried of the other fluted wrench slipping...Bamadoc

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
I got a very inexpensive plastic one from wallmart, hacksawed the 67 portion off (doesnt need to be pretty) and it works Great. No need to spend any more than a few bucks.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
And that is why you are a Brilliant Polack! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I got a 65mm metal one from Advance and had no issues whatsoever... it fit perfectly and only cost $4 or $6... can't remember exactly, but was pretty cheap.

·
Registered
420 Posts
This is the one I got at Advance auto, note it is stamped 65/14, the other shown next to it is 65/67mm that worked. The 65/14 does not work at all.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts