Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I slowly accelerate there is a high pitched scratchy squeaking/rubbing noise that is really annoying. The noise is directly effected by the speed (slow when moving slow, faster as speed increases). At about 15-20 mph it becomes a quicker chirp sound and after that it is impossible to follow due to other noise. It sounds like it could be a fairly common noise, but I can't exactly pinpoint the cause.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I was never really interested in learning about automobiles until I purchased my Sequoia a year ago and now I'm learning as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Two guesses, both related to wheel assembly.

1. how are your brakes?

2. the thin metal shield near the brake disk is slightly bent and is scratching against the edge of the disk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you might have nailed it. Got my oil changed yesterday and my rear brakes are in need of some work. I recently changed my front brakes with a buddy of mine, but no longer live in that area. So, now I present another question. The guy told me that I just have reached metal to metal on one side (rear left) and need to replace the rear rotors and of course the brake pads. What are my options in this situation? He said that when you change rotors its always good to change both. So,

1) Should I just get the work done (new rotors, brake pads on both)?
2) Get new pads and one new rotor (the side that has touched metal)?
3) Explore other options such as flipping the rotor. I'm not personally familiar with it, but a friend told me about it. I don't know if this is possible or the risks involved. Doesn't really make sense to me.
4) I was quoted $89 (online avg. about $75+) for new rotors, so should I explore the DIY method this weekend if this can wait a few days. (Not completely comfortable doing things myself just yet, but will explore it if I'm getting ripped off.
5) Other thougths that I missed.

Oh, and thanks 98!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't understand the "touched metal" diagnosis as presented. If the pads were worn down to metal and have in turn scored the rotor down to where you can no longer machine them, then I understand that.

Never heard of a rotor flip. Since the pair of pads in the caliper push (squeeze) onto both sides of the disk for braking, even if the geometry worked out, I don't see how that is any sort of a solution.

I would agree with changing both rotors out at the same time.

If you're not comfortable with doing the work yourself, get 2 or 3 estimates and make your decision at that time. Unless you're completely familiar with doing this work and have all the right tools, my vote would be to engage a good shop that will do the work right and guarantee their work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Done deal. Going to call around for quotes to make sure I'm getting the best price. Thank you for all of you helpful info, 98. Very much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts