Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Waltrep edition 06 Double Cab Tundra - looking to replace the tires - The truck is stock with 18 x 9 in rims with 275/55R18 Michelin Latitude Touring tires (the only tire in this size) - not much of a truck tire.

The description for the Michelin say they are 11.18 wide and 29.8 height. They run out fine with no rubbing (although there is almost no room in the front wheel well when at full turn). My tape measure tell's me they are just over 10 wide (not 11)

Looking to put some truck on it and have a couple of sizes choices.

I'd like to get some 33's on it but can't really afford the lift. It looks like a the 285/65R18 might rub without putting on at least 5100's and an AAL or lift on the rear. They run out approx 11.5 wide and 32.7 high. Has anyone put these on a stock truck? Did they rub?

CLOSER TO STOCK SIZES:
Alternative tires;
Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar
275/65R18 (which is very close to the factory tire on there except there are 2 inches more height) (the literature says they are 32 height) Has anyone put there on a stock truck - do they rub?

BFG's
275/65R18E says they are 11 wide on a 8 in rim and 32 high. does anyone have these on a stock tundra - do they rub?

GoodYear Wrangler Duratrack
275/65R18 - the literature says they are 31.7 height - does anyone have these on a stock tundra - do they rub?

What say you?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think you will rub. I have 265/75R16s on my 2000 AC and have previously run 275/70R16s. Both are 31.65" and 31.16" in dia, respectively. The 285/65R18s you mentioned are about an inch taller than mine and I have between 2 and 2.5" in the front from my coilovers. I think the 275s you mentioned will fit better, but will be close on lock to lock turns because of the added width. (and you will need the lift, although two inches doesn't seem like much, it makes a huge difference. My friends and family could tell I got new tires and asked if it was taller when I went to the 265s... and its only half an inch!!)

The real question to ask yourself is do you want bigger tires because they look cool? or for off-road capability? If the first, by all means go big or go home, but if you are planning on doing any off-roading where you need wheel articulation, err on the shorter tires. Many of the guys (and gals) in the Off-Road Club here at Texas A&M put much smaller tires than they could fit because it gives them much more off-road capability. Trust me if you try to squeeze a tire in and then go over some large obstacles, the rubbing will turn into binding and it won't be pretty (or cheap)...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have the 275/55R18 Michelin Latitude Touring on my 2006 Tundra 4WD, 4DR XLS and they are great! I have almost 70K miles on them. Looking for replacement and it seems Michelin does not make that size anymore. DiscountTire is saying 265/60/R18 is best replacement for same Michelins. Has anyone else had any experience with replacing with 265/60 on that truck?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts