Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a very stupid mistake. Prior to taking my 02' 4.7 tundra in for its 90,000 mi. tune up I changed the plugs and cleaned the air filter. The K&N filter I have done twice before but for some reason this time I did not let the oil dry on the filter before driving the truck.
( I know it was stupid ). After picking the truck up from the mechanic I notoced something was not right. The idle was high, about 1300 rpm and the main problem was when I would put the pedal to the floor the engine would bog and slowly gain speed. As long as I didn't accelerate too rapidly all seemed fine except the high idle. So I took it back to the mechanic who I have known for years and who also has a 00' tundra and knows the engine very well. He was scratching his head cause all he did was put on a new timing belt, water pump, clean the throttle body etc. I said he must have put the belt on a tooth or two out of time, he didn't think so but agreed to check it any way.
All was fine with his work, then I remembered the filter thing I did and asked him if that could be the problem. He rolled his eyes at me and took out the K&N put in a stock filter and a new maff air flow sensor? and now it runs almost like it used to.
My question is are there any variable timing sensors in the intake air tract that the oil from the filter could be messing up? He is going to check but I thought I would ask here.
Now when you put the pedal to the floor the engine revs up like before but on the low end the truck does not accelerate to match the engine revs.

Any help, and sorry for the long post. :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could call a dealership, give them your VIN, and they should be able to help you out.
That is always my last resort, I really was hoping someone else had maybe been in a hurry and done the same thing I did and knew the exact fix.
Thanks anyway.:)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Now when you put the pedal to the floor the engine revs up like before but on the low end the truck does not accelerate to match the engine revs.
So you can rev it but poor acceleration? I can't see how that's related to an over-oiled filter. Have you serviced the transmission? With your record, perhaps you'd consider letting your professional do his magic...gasket, fluid, filter.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
All you did is clog up the MAF sensor ( right between the air filter and the intake )

To fix it is easy: remove the 4 small screws that hold the MAF in place, spray ( delicately ) with some MAF cleaner, let dry.

Then re-install the MAF and you should be good to go.

Next time make sure you don't over oil the K&N, let it dry well and you won't have any more problem.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
All you did is clog up the MAF sensor ( right between the air filter and the intake )

To fix it is easy: remove the 4 small screws that hold the MAF in place, spray ( delicately ) with some MAF cleaner, let dry.

Then re-install the MAF and you should be good to go.

Next time make sure you don't over oil the K&N, let it dry well and you won't have any more problem.
If I read it correctly, the mechanic already replaced the air filter and MAF sensor. Maybe there was some residual oil in the tube.:unsure3d:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I read it correctly, the mechanic already replaced the air filter and MAF sensor. Maybe there was some residual oil in the tube.:unsure3d:
yep the mechanic did replace the maf and filter, Good idea on the rest of the tube having oil residue, I will clean it today.

·
Registered
756 Posts
do the throttle body as well as the air tube. You didn't need to replace the maf, they sell cleaner for it. Use that cleaner for the tube and throttle body.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
What brand and part number plugs did you install? 1300 RPM's on a cold engine is normal idle what does it do once it has warmed up completly?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What brand and part number plugs did you install? 1300 RPM's on a cold engine is normal idle what does it do once it has warmed up completly?
NGK BKR6EGP The idle issue is solved, with a new maf, wish I knew I could have just cleaned it. The sensor from toyota was $145.00. If there is another sensor in the intake air tract that might have oil residue on it I am hoping that cleaning it will solve my full throttle issue.
Other than full throttle the truck runs fine, I just want to fix what I screwed up being stupid with the K&N oil. Thank you people for all your help so far. 1 can of maf cleaner coming up.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Too bad you spent the money on the new MAF. Easy to clean. I'd toss the K&N and use OEM & clean the throttle body. I usually reset the ECU after cleaning the TB and MAF by disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too bad you spent the money on the new MAF. Easy to clean. I'd toss the K&N and use OEM & clean the throttle body. I usually reset the ECU after cleaning the TB and MAF by disconnecting the battery for about 15 minutes.
Thanks, too clean the throttle body just spray maf cleaner in it?

·
Registered
819 Posts
The best thing one can do with a K&N filter, like I do with the one on my Corvette is to buy another filter for when you need to wash the old one.

One puts the new, factory oiled one on, cleans the old one, lets it dry, oils it and leaves it in a bag for when it needs to be cleaned again.

I like to change/clean my filter every 10,000 miles or so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just left the dealer, he says there is no such thing as maf cleaner, ??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The best thing one can do with a K&N filter, like I do with the one on my Corvette is to buy another filter for when you need to wash the old one.

One puts the new, factory oiled one on, cleans the old one, lets it dry, oils it and leaves it in a bag for when it needs to be cleaned again.

I like to change/clean my filter every 10,000 miles or so.
Good idea, thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Doubt there is a specific MAF cleaner but what is used is a spray electronics cleaner, available at walmart in automotive section with products like brake cleaner, pb blaster, etc. You GENTLY spray the filament in the MAF. Then allow to dry and re-install. Be careful. It is easy to break the filament. You will see when you look at it. It is just a delicate looking wire.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
Thanks, too clean the throttle body just spray maf cleaner in it?
NO! Do not spray any cleaner directly into a mounted throttle body! You do not want any of that sludge/dirt/debris being washed into the intake.

Get a can of throttle body cleaner. Spray it onto a toothbrush and scrub the area (throttle plate, body, etc.), paying particular attention to the edges of the throttle plate. Then use the a lint-free rag to wipe it all out.

When you have it clean and have reinstalled your intake tube, do not disconnect the negative terminal of the battery. This step is not required for this DIY as there is nothing accomplished other than resetting all of your ECU settings and forcing the system to relearn everything.

You will notice a higher-than-normal idle for a little while; this is normal after a throttle body cleaning.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts