Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new member and it seems like there is good information here so I thought I'd ask your advice. I'm sure this topic has been covered many times and I did search and find some info, but here is my specific situation. I have a 2000 access cab, basically stock except for 285/70-17E load range BFG's. I'm going to put a pop up camper on my truck for 6-8 mos. of the year. It weighs about 900 lbs. loaded. I had it on all of last summer without any helper springs and it did ok- sat a little low and lightly bottomed out on big bumps. I plan on doing a decent amount of wheeling so I don't want to overdo it with the helpers and loose the articulation. Shocks will be upgraded too. I'm hoping to get as close as possible to a stock unloaded truck in terms of ride height and articulation. I know it will behave differently, but hopefully you get my point. Currently I'm looking at Hellwig 1250, 1535, and 991. Sorry about the long winded explanation but I wanted to be thorough. Thanks much.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
try a search for "roadmaster" in the gen 1 forum and in the suspension forum. you'll get info about the roadmaster helper springs and lots of other options too. i know hellwig makes good sway bars, but i don't know squat about their helper springs.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
well how were they? why'd you take em off? or do you just put them on when you need to haul or tow something?
They added a small bit of lift (1-1.5 inches) depending on how much I tightened them up, handled a load quite well.

I took them out b/c I added another leaf instead, no real problems I just had the leafs re-arched anyways and told them to throw another leaf in while they were doing it.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I went with Air Lift air bags on my 2002. I've got add-a-leafs and a Hellwig sway bar, as well. I tow a 17' travel trailer along with a bunch of camping gear. With the air bags I can adjust the amount of pressure to level out depending on the load. Also thought it might help if a load was uneven, left/right, but that hasn't happened. The ability to adjust the bags to the load might work out for you since you're planning on having the camper part-time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steelshot- I like the idea of the adjustability of air bags, but I talked to Air lift and they said if I would be 4 wheeling with them, they do not recommend them.

I decided to try the Hellwig EZ Level EZ-1000 series, #1250. Just got them, haven't put them on yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went to Autozone and bought my helper springs for $40. They are rated at an addition 1000 lbs. They lifted the rear of the truck about an inch and they definitly give a little stiffer ride when unloaded. But when I have my 900 lb camper in the rear it's a smooth ride. I like them over all. If I loosen the u-bolts holding them in place I think it will give a better ride when unloaded. Hopefully you'll like the ones you bought. If not, check out your local parts store...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have Helwig Helper springs, new shocks too. No camper, yet... but we do haul garden supplies a bunch and the helper springs have stopped the bottoming out that was goin on with stock set up.
I'll update after we get a new camper on there.
ec

·
Registered
300 Posts
I went to Autozone and bought my helper springs for $40. They are rated at an addition 1000 lbs. They lifted the rear of the truck about an inch and they definitly give a little stiffer ride when unloaded. But when I have my 900 lb camper in the rear it's a smooth ride. I like them over all. If I loosen the u-bolts holding them in place I think it will give a better ride when unloaded. Hopefully you'll like the ones you bought. If not, check out your local parts store...

Which ones did you get from AutoZone? I had the $20 helper springs from Advance Auto on my B2600 Mazda and they worked great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts