Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my 02 Sequoia began exhibiting a hesitation/stuttering/shaking when accelerating from low RPMs (from a standing start, or when upshifting to pass or climb a hill etc.). At first I wasn't sure if it was a transmission thing, or rear end, or engine. But when it hesitates during acceleration, the check engine light flashes (doesn't stay on solid, but flashes on and off about once a second). Also, when I got home and parked, I rev'd the engine while parked and I feel that shake then as well.

Any ideas? Is it possible that it's a something simple like plug wires? Just short of 90,000 on the truck now... Also, with a "flashing" CEL, will it throw a code? Or is that only if the CEL is on solid, all the time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Yeah, it does kind of sound like a plug wire, or spark plug issue? How old are the plugs/wires? Are you up to date on all of your other maintenance? Have you also looked at your throttle body butterfly valve to see if it's dirty? Have you recently used a different gas? Have you done any engine detergent systems to clean any carbon build up?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I've educated myself a lot about the 4.7L over the past 24 hours... no "plug wires" in the traditional sense... I just changed out all 8 plugs and it's running fine. I don't know if they've ever been changed (I bought the Sequoia used). The plug on the driver side closest to the firewall was a b1tch to remove because of all the hard hydraulic lines snaked around the brake master cylinder.

The coil pack on the cylinder that's second in from the firewall on the passenger side looked "iffy" to me, it had a light brown residue on the end, not clean like the other 7. I think if it acts up again, that's the next step. But so far so good, fingers crossed.

Now if I could get that VCS/CEL light combo to keep coming on intermittently! More brake fluid usually "fixes" it, but sometimes it just goes away on its own :mad:

Anyway thanks big-o for the reply!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to get it running smoothly. I changed all the plugs on mine when I bought it used, took about 30 minutes or less....gotta love that. I did use a few extensions.

I think I remember seeing a seller on e-bay that sold all the COPS cheap, but can't find the link....

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Nice work!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. I had same symptom on my 4Runner recently and it was a faulty coilpack. It wasn't long before the CEL came back and stayed on. I took apart and cleaned contacts and it went away until I took it in for service, so my word of caution is this:

If it was coil related, sometimes replacing plugs or wires can temporarily improve the ignition system performance enough to make a CEL go away but it may return if ther is a further issue that was not resolved. Just thought I would share my experience on that in case it helps anyone.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad you got it fixed. I had same symptom on my 4Runner recently and it was a faulty coilpack. It wasn't long before the CEL came back and stayed on. I took apart and cleaned contacts and it went away until I took it in for service, so my word of caution is this:

If it was coil related, sometimes replacing plugs or wires can temporarily improve the ignition system performance enough to make a CEL go away but it may return if ther is a further issue that was not resolved. Just thought I would share my experience on that in case it helps anyone.
Thanks, that is a good heads up. I think I may go ahead and get a new coil pack and proactively replace the "iffy" one I found.

I know its a little bit of twisted logic, but I buy Toyotas for the same reason I have a KTM, the reliability is such that basic maintenance (oil changes, air filter changes, brake pads etc.) it typically "enough" to keep things running. But that reliability can lead you to a false sense of security; I think as far as the truck goes, I am seeing this now.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts