Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 tundra and looking at buying at 1999 4runner did they have alot of problems with them or not.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You very seldom hear of problems with 4Runners.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I had a 99 4x4 auto 3.4L & put 80k miles on it with ZERO problems. It was the desert dune color (nice color) with gold plated emblems. I did put a tranny cooler on it because after towing my 4000lb boat, the fluid started looking rough.

Except for a suspension noise after i took it off road for the first time. Didn't have a single noise until i did.

Any ideas what it might be? My 07 has the same noise, and it was only after i took it off road. I have no idea what it is.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a 99 4x4 auto 3.4L & put 80k miles on it with ZERO problems. It was the desert dune color (nice color) with gold plated emblems. I did put a tranny cooler on it because after towing my 4000lb boat, the fluid started looking rough.

Except for a suspension noise after i took it off road for the first time. Didn't have a single noise until i did.

Any ideas what it might be? My 07 has the same noise, and it was only after i took it off road. I have no idea what it is.

Dust gets in the leaf springs and shocks wash them out very good and try that.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Dust gets in the leaf springs and shocks wash them out very good and try that.
When i went off road it wasn't even muddy, and it was at low speeds.

They have coil springs in the rear & coil over's in the front. I've had this same front end noise in my tundra's also.

Think it could still be dirt?

It's more of a clanking noise. And it sounds like a brake cable slapping the frame when you go over small bumps.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Maybe a worn ball joint, check them just to be safe. My tundra started with pops and other front noises after a couple off road trips, then checked the ball joints and they were worn, had to replace all of them. Now the ride is soft and smooth.:tu:

·
Registered
35 Posts
My dad has a 99 sr5 with almost 300,000 miles on it and has had zero problems with regular maintenance done on it. I will inherit it when he stops driving. My son will drive it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great vehicles indeed but make sure you take care of the ball joints as they are a known fail point. I have seen some pictures of failures happening while driving and buckle the front wheel under.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess I'll respond to this too. For 4runners with auto transmissions, the stock tranny cooler is located in the radiator. Over time the radiator can corrode on the inside and allow coolant and tranny fluid to mix which will destroy the transmission. Manual transmissions don't have this problem.

As others have said the lower ball joints should be replaced ever 100K miles or so and only use OEM Toyota ball joints. Aftermarket bj's all fail which cause a lot of damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Most of the 3rd gens are very reliable trucks. The 01/02 or more prone to have transmission issues specifically with the planetary gear failing.

All of them are vulnerable for the pink milk shake which is why you should replace your radiator/coolant every 7 years or so.

Rear axle seals usually start leaking around 200k miles.

And of course, the frame like to rot out if you live in the rust belt. Other than that, very solid trucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts