Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 01 TRD off road Access cab Tundra with auto trans. The 4x4 does not work(push button on center console nothing happens). previous owner told me her mechanic said it was a simple repair with a $40 part, but since she was selling it she didn't want to fix it but would pass on the info to me. I'm still waiting to hear back from her.
My question is has anyone have this problem before? what is the "$40" part and can a backyard mechanic(me) fix it with out screwing it up more?
Hopefully I'm not totally screwed.

Thanks.

BTW. she did say it was something inside or attached to the transfer case.

·
Registered
535 Posts
There was a story about a Chevy dealership in Houston that put Z71 stickers on their 2WD 1500s and replaced the empty 4x4 nob "filler" with button that lights up after clicking labeled "4x4 low" they didn't even bother to include "4x4 high". I just thought I would share this story because I don't know when I'll get the opportunity again. Good luck sir.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a story about a Chevy dealership in Houston that put Z71 stickers on their 2WD 1500s and replaced the empty 4x4 nob "filler" with button that lights up after clicking labeled "4x4 low" they didn't even bother to include "4x4 high". I just thought I would share this story because I don't know when I'll get the opportunity again. Good luck sir.
Gee thanks. I did look under it to make sure it was a 4x4. Otherwise I think it would be sitting in her living room.

·
Registered
156 Posts
These trucks have two actuators. One in the transfer case and one in the front diff. There have been members who have reported fixing their 4wd systems by removing the cover(s) to the actuators and cleaning the electrical contacts.

You are going to have to do some trouble shooting and try to determine which actuator(or both actuators) has failed. Is the front driveshaft spinning? You could also have a bad switch or power interruption that is not sending a signal to the actuator(s). The actuators also have a vacuum component. I would check for broken vacuum lines as well.

Are you getting a green engage light or a flashing light?

Hopefully this will get you started. I have a very limited understanding of the system. Maybe others will chime in and offer additional help. Search around. I know several have had a no engage issue and many seemed related to the 4wd system not being exercised regularly causing the actuator(s) to freeze up.

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I'll check those things. I don't get any light when I press the 4wd button. This gives me a place to start. Thanks again.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Since you are not getting a light, I would start with the switch. Check for power and I guess check the bulb if it is possible. Many have posted that they had a flashing 4wd light when the actuators were not working.

Let us know what you find out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay. So today I pushed in the 4x4 switch while stopped and nothing happened. But then I started moving and the light on the switch came on. Then a clunking from the front transaxle or transfer case. Sounded like it wanted to engage but wasn't aligning properly. i stopped and took it out of 4x4. Anybody have any guesses?
Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Was the truck in neutral when you engaged the switch?

·
Registered
156 Posts
The driveline will clunk and bind if 4wd is engaged on a hard dry surface with the front and rear diffs turning at different speeds(e.g. In a turn). I would find a wet, dirt or rock road and try engaging and disengaging 4wd while moving.

The 4wd system on our trucks is part time and designed to be used on slippery surfaces. You can get away with engaging it on hard dry surfaces if you are traveling straight. I believe the owners manual recommends driving in 4wd for 10 miles or so each month to keep everything working properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried it both while stopped and moving. When stopped, nothing happened until I started moving, then the light goes on and I get the clunking noise. When moving, slowly, the light goes on right away and then the clunking starts. I turn it off right away because I'm not sure if I'm damaging it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Your dropping it while in neutral correct? Not in park or drive?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would probably get all four wheels off the ground and see if you can get it engaged and isolate the clunking sound. Hopefully it goes without saying to be extremely cautious if you are going to get under the truck in close proximity to spinning driveshafts and wheels.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i think the clunking might be some what normal just try driving it , don't shut it off so quickly it should align and engage if not the light will blink then you should shut it off. the clunk shouldn't be to loud tho>>> if it is really loud then maybe there is a bigger problem.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i think the clunking might be some what normal just try driving it , don't shut it off so quickly it should align and engage if not the light will blink then you should shut it off. the clunk shouldn't be to loud tho>>> if it is really loud then maybe there is a bigger problem.
^^
This is correct. As mentioned before, it could def. be a transfer case issue if I'm understanding the sound correctly. If you haven't tried dropping it in neutral yet, it's a good habit to get into every time you want to get those front wheels churning, to do it in neutral. My personal opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would probably get all four wheels off the ground and see if you can get it engaged and isolate the clunking sound. Hopefully it goes without saying to be extremely cautious if you are going to get under the truck in close proximity to spinning driveshafts and wheels.

There are 2 buttons on my 2002 Tundra 4 Hi and 4 low.
The 4 hi clunks and the button and the dash light starts flashing but the 4 low does not click in like the 4 hi, no light or anything, moving forward or backwards does nothing.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
There are 2 buttons on my 2002 Tundra 4 Hi and 4 low.
The 4 hi clunks and the button and the dash light starts flashing but the 4 low does not click in like the 4 hi, no light or anything, moving forward or backwards does nothing.
If the 4hi light is flashing, it’s not engaging. Push 4hi and creep forward or backwards a little till the light becomes solid and the 4hi indicator on the gauge cluster lights up. 4lo won’t engage unless you’re in 4hi. Make sure you’re in neutral when shifting into 4lo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts