Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found three options so far. What to do. Did I miss anything?
  1. Cheapest and easiest. Replace the halogen bulbs with a HID kit. I have used vvme.com in the past and their HID lights work fine. Startup time is a few seconds but livable.
    1. I personally like the 5000K color. It warms up blue then turns almost pure white, but it still has a hint of blue. It is bright but looks stock, euro'ish. We have 6000K in our van and they are too blue for me.
    2. H11 Digital Slim Balast - $38.99 for low beams
    3. 9005 Digital Slim Balast - $38.99 for high beams (optional)
      1. When I did the high beams on our Trailblazer, we spliced the low beams to the high beams so the low beams never turned off to avoid the startup time switching between low and high beams
    4. 9145 Fog Light - DDM Tuning (VVME doesn't have this size) - $40
    5. From experience, doing all three lights is a lot of ballasts to mount and extra wiring. We found that we rarely use our highs after HID's are installed, so I may leave the factory high's alone.
  2. Next cheapest, replacement headlamps. The Spyder headlamps with CFFL LED Angel eyes look pretty cool. Not sure if I would like them better or not.
    1. $350 and I assume these are headlamp's only so another $80 or $120 for HID kits from above.
    2. Spyder Auto | Toyota Tundra 07-12 / Toyota Sequoia 08-12 CCFL LED ( Replaceable LEDs ) Projector Headlights - Black
    3. Hard to say if the output would be better or worse than putting HID bulbs into the stock headlamps.
    4. But get angel eyes
  3. Most expensive, do the lightwerkz LS460 retrofit.
    1. Chuck’s Toyota Sequoia – LS460 Conversion | HID Projector Headlight Retrofit for Subaru, Honda, BMW, Scion and More | LightWerkz.net
    2. Best HID output and best true HID color. You can't match the projector color with a 5000K HID kit.
    3. No Angel Eyes
    4. From a distance, it looks nothing different than stock, although for that matter, I am not sure the Spyder will look better or worse during daytime.
1ab66fe3.jpg LS460 Retrofit
300_PRO-YD-TTU07-CCFL-BK.jpg Spyder Headlamp

·
Registered
200 Posts
I like the LS460 for the Sequoia.

what i would do is then get the housing color matched to your car. Looks best on Black rides IMO but ive seen some white ones on a white car and was impressed. Theres a thread on here somewhere that has pictures of those conversions.

Im looking to upgrade to an HID kit in my stock lights. Butg im getting the housing painted now and ill post a few pics of them afterwards.

I think REVON ( might be mispelled) have some nice HID headlamps but cheapest i found where 499 USD.

Keep us updated bud!

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
A)HID bulbs do not work well in halogen headlights. You might have the look you want but you'll actually reduce visibility and blind oncoming drivers. If you wanted to save money you should have gotten a less expensive vehicle, you have a $40k-$60k vehicle, why cheap out on the most important part?

B)The ebay lights are garbage and they look like garbage.

C)Go with the Lightwerkz conversion. If you want angel eyes, get a projector such as RX or TSX and get gattling gun shrouds with the angel eyes mounted behind them for a unique look that hardly anyone else has done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to do more research into a retrofit projector options.

I disagree though that HID's in halogens is a bad idea, especially in newer headlamps. Our trailblazer had a very defined cutoff on the halogen headlamp and it looks like that is the same with the Sequoia. In our trailblazer, the HID lights had the same cutoff as the halogens. We never get flashed for blinding drivers and I have had our truck in the rear view mirror and it was fine. The HID's are much, much brighter in the Halogen headlamps.

I do agree that it is better to use a projector for HID bulbs. I also agree that some halogen headlamps without a defined cutoff will have issues with HID bulbs.

The aftermarket headlamps sucked for the trailblazer as well. Some kind of looked cool in pictures, but the LCD lights would burn out like crazy.

The Sequoia is expensive and you should treat it right, but it was either the Sequoia or the Armada. If you want a full size SUV with a functional 3rd row that can tow something and it is not a Suburban, there are not a lot of choices out there. Tahoes don't have a functional 3rd row. Expeditions look blah to us. So Sequoia it is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts