Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend, who's father happens to own a Toyota dealership, got some awesome HID headlights and said I should upgrade the 2000 Tundra regular lights. I know I have to retrofit, but what do I need to get? Obviously I need the new bulbs and new ballasts, but it that all I need to install HIDs? Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Do you just want HID's or a full retro? If a full retro is what you want, you'll need to order projectors which can cost 200+

·
Registered
7 Posts
Jumping in here...

I put HIDs in my 02 and the light they throw out is barely more than the ultras by sylvania. I believe it's because the reflector inside my headlight housing seems to disperse the light rather than throw it forward. new OEM headlight assemblies, good quality HID kit. if there is a place to buy projectors for an 02, please tell me (us?) where to get them. i've only been able to find them for 07 and up. if I couild install true HID in my Tundra and make it light up like my other cars, I'd spend the money for it today. help?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I'd like to completely retrofit it. Would I need new head lamps with the projector or can projectors be installed? Sorry, I'm a headlight newb. I'm finding really nice Phillips kits with the ballasts and bulbs, but I really want the projectors to make everything good. I'm with turbokh, if anyone has info on retrofitting their own car, I'd appreciate hearing what you got.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I did a retrofit about 4 months ago. You can use the same headlights, but I recommend purchasing another set so you can work on them while still being able to drive the truck. You would need the following items:

Projector
Bulbs
Ballast
Shroud
Wiring Harness

Those are the basics. If you want to upgrade even more, you can purchase a new lens to the projector. This will make the cutoff and color look a whole lot better. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I spent about $500.00 on everything (including tools). Even though it is more expensive than the plug and play kits, it sure looks cool at the end of the day (and night) and sets your truck apart from the rest.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that looks great. Can you tell what kit or parts you purchased?? I've seen several kits. I believe the bulb type for my 2000 Tundra is 9003/H4, so I guess I would have to get a kit with that HID bulb. What projectors did you buy? Also, could one retrofit in one day if you spend a few hours on it? Thanks for your help!!!

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
A friend, who's father happens to own a Toyota dealership, got some awesome HID headlights and said I should upgrade the 2000 Tundra regular lights. I know I have to retrofit, but what do I need to get? Obviously I need the new bulbs and new ballasts, but it that all I need to install HIDs? Thanks for your help!

It all depends what you want to do.
If you want bi-xenon, then you have several options (search on e-bay)

I went with 2x ORIGINAL HELLA E55 BI-XENON PROJECTORS.............:eBay Motors (item 270435309236 end time Aug-05-09 11:02:25 PDT) and they are very easy to work with (plus you can make low and high beam work (they are 3" projector vs most of the guys using 2" projectors)

I used those shrouds GATLING GUN SHROUDS RETROFIT HID BI-XENON PROJECTORS FX:eBay Motors (item 250403236636 end time Aug-05-09 11:26:09 PDT) (requires some triming to make it work with projectors)

Also, I've used Lexus D4S bulbs and D4S ballasts.
I love this set up. Never done anything like this in my life, and was able to complete this project in 2 evenings (I think I've spend around 8 hours total for this project).

Another great option (I think it works very nice also, I've used it more then 1 year, and was so happy with it. One down side, you have no high beam) H4 9003 to D2S/D2R Adapters PHILIPS HID XENON bulb Gen2:eBay Motors (item 230361453460 end time Aug-26-09 12:14:04 PDT). I had no glare, plus I've used original Lexus D4R bulbs, and D4R ballasts.

Ask any questions you may have :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just put in clear 80/100 xenon bulbs from litebulbs.com. They really throw a beam and the headlights look more crisp from the outside. About $15.00 ea. Then 80w in the fogs to get rid of the dull appearance and actually make them effective.

JG

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
RPM, let us know how the higher wattage bulbs do. I would like to upgrade to a higher wattage, but have seen some melt the harness's on other vehicles. (of course they were not Toyotas) Sounds great. Will look for updates. I drive a lot and sometimes on the road just about all night. Thanks,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is the difference between the bi-xenon and normal hid xenon lights? And those projectors would fit the 1st gen truck right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oops, I didn't mean to say that I just recently installed the hotter bulbs, they've been in for about a year. I keep the low beams on all the time day or night. Used to also keep the fogs on but I didn't see the point of that. So far no problems with wiring or current draw or heat. Burnt out one fog light bulb but that's it. Pretty happy with this economical mod.

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you are going to spend the money on a retrofit, spend the extra bucks on a bi-xenon setup. The only extra item that is included in a bi-xenon projector is a solenoid. In the TL projectors that I have in my truck, these were located on the bottom of the projector, which made me cut into the headlights. With the Tundra headlights being so wide and deep, you can fit almost any of the projectors into the headlight.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
What is the difference between the bi-xenon and normal hid xenon lights? And those projectors would fit the 1st gen truck right?
Regular and bi-xenon almost look identical except bi-xenon have solenoid so you have have full projector of light instead of 1/2 projector for low beam.

This picture shows projector installed (I had to cut hole in the back or reflector 2-5/8" in order to sink projector)

for some reasons pictures not showing up
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii2/Genie_Tinik/HID conversion on Sequoia/?action=view&current=ad0c0801.jpg
http://s260.photobucket.com/albums/ii2/Genie_Tinik/HID conversion on Sequoia/?action=view&current=3e180f0d.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have been reading the posts on the retrofit and i was wondering if anyone could send me pictures or directions on exactly how to do the retrofit. i would like to tackle this on my own so i can install them on my 05 tundra. all the help with this is greatly appreciated

·
Banned
4 Posts
Wow, that looks so nice

I did a retrofit about 4 months ago. You can use the same headlights, but I recommend purchasing another set so you can work on them while still being able to drive the truck. You would need the following items:

Projector
Bulbs
Ballast
Shroud
Wiring Harness

Those are the basics. If you want to upgrade even more, you can purchase a new lens to the projector. This will make the cutoff and color look a whole lot better. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I spent about $500.00 on everything (including tools). Even though it is more expensive than the plug and play kits, it sure looks cool at the end of the day (and night) and sets your truck apart from the rest.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts