Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed some DDM 5000k slim ballast HID's and the driver side sometimes shuts off. When I turn the low beams on after the truck is started the drivers side shuts off and I got to turn the lights off and then back on to get it to stay on. Any idea? I will check the plugs tomorrow.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Probably marginal ballast - see if switching them out fixes it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
or switch sides on the ballast and see if the problem follows the ballast

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
ballast. as stated above.

·
Registered
753 Posts
i have the same HIDs, as does my wife. They work about 90% of the time.

-Tim

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I will email DDM and see if they will send out a new one. I dont want to pull mine out and wait for the new one to arrive weeks later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently installed DDM 55W 8000k w/ slim ballast and I am having similar issues but on the passenger side. Except the light will either turn on or not at all. I contacted DDM and they advised that since it was the light furthest from the battery that it was most likely a power supply issue. They advised me to "bump up" the fuse or purchase a wiring harness that they sell for $15 that connects the lights directly to your battery. I most likely will purchase the wiring harness...after troubleshooting.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine is the drivers side. I will have to contact them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently installed DDM 55W 8000k w/ slim ballast and I am having similar issues but on the passenger side. Except the light will either turn on or not at all. I contacted DDM and they advised that since it was the light furthest from the battery that it was most likely a power supply issue. They advised me to "bump up" the fuse or purchase a wiring harness that they sell for $15 that connects the lights directly to your battery. I most likely will purchase the wiring harness...after troubleshooting.
Sometimes you have to add a relay to make them fire up. HID's need the most voltage to start them and if it is the slightest bit off then it will not work or will flicker. I'm sure that their harness includes the relay or you can just use a Bosch type of relay from the autoparts store and make your own harness, just don't forget to include a fuse if you make your own harness.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
Sometimes you have to add a relay to make them fire up. HID's need the most voltage to start them and if it is the slightest bit off then it will not work or will flicker. I'm sure that their harness includes the relay or you can just use a Bosch type of relay from the autoparts store and make your own harness, just don't forget to include a fuse if you make your own harness.
Our trucks electrical systems, if you have the upgraded one from the cold weather package, are more than adequate for the lights. My passenger side would light about 75% of the time and I switched the bulbs around. DDM will not send out new equipment without you sending the faulty stuff back, so hang onto your regular halogens. After switching the bulbs around I have only had the problem 1 time in 3 months. My wife's car has them now as well and they have been flawless.:D
Good luck figuring it out. It's no more painful than troubleshooting a set of door speakers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Might the ballast be mounted somewhere that they are getting to hot? If so it could be a safty feature. I have not had any issues with mine (35w lows, 55w highs), but they are mounted low in the engine bay as far away from any heat source as i could get them.

MG

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got mine mounted on the wall next to the battery and fuse box. It is almost behind the headlight. I still have not heard from DDM, but all I got to do is turn them on twice to make sure they are on. It is not that big of a deal right now, but it may develop into something bigger later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I first installed my HIDS I used slim ballast but had the same problem. I had some of the old style big ballast laying around and put them in - problem solved. Then I bought a new motorcycle and put those same slim ballast in it when I installed HIDs in it and have never had a problem with them so I guess you never know what will work in a given vehicle.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
red4rr I have the exact same problem and I also have slim ballasts. Just started happening recently and I ddon't know why :( Best if you call in as they never ever answer emails. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Wow, so many issues. For my 1st Gen, I used Retro-Solutions 55w digital HID kit, with wiring harness. The kit has been running my Acura TL bi-xennon projectors just fine for the last 7 months.

I took the time to wire it up clean and nice. Took my bumper cover off and mounted the blasts behind the bumper cover, but attached to some sheet metal from the frame. Keeps them protected. The wire harness connects direct to the battery and uses the stock plug to just switch the system on. Been perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What you guys need to solve the problem is a Relay Harness for the HID's. There a simple fix and they hook up directly to your battery so there not much harder to install then the HID kit them selves. The relays will supply 100% flow of power to the ballasts versus hooking them up to the factory harness, which for Toyota's, since the aftermarket HID kits are running at only 35 watts versus factory 55-65 watts the vehicle will recognize the power drop and sort of run on limp mode, there for not allowing the ballast to charge up, which the only way to bypass this issue is to turn the lights off then turn them back on waiting a couple seconds between actions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What you guys need to solve the problem is a Relay Harness for the HID's. There a simple fix and they hook up directly to your battery so there not much harder to install then the HID kit them selves. The relays will supply 100% flow of power to the ballasts versus hooking them up to the factory harness, which for Toyota's, since the aftermarket HID kits are running at only 35 watts versus factory 55-65 watts the vehicle will recognize the power drop and sort of run on limp mode, there for not allowing the ballast to charge up, which the only way to bypass this issue is to turn the lights off then turn them back on waiting a couple seconds between actions.
Agreed:tu:

I've installed many HID kits in various vehicles and always recommend using a relay Harness. I have it in my tundra and never once have had a problem with them firing up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts