Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering has anyone ever built a hidden winch for a 1st gen? just kidding...

I finished up building a hidden winch mount for my tundra. Thought I would share with you folks. Didn't get as many pictures as I wanted but my buddy and I were trying to get it done over the past couple days before work. He did most of the work since I don't know how to weld. Basically it's a 1/4" plate with an "A" brace of 1"x1/4" flat stock on the bottom. Plate bolts to the bottom of the frame in the factory tow hook location, tow hooks retained. With one more hole on each side for added strength. Whole project cost me about $390. That includes winch, plate, flat stock, nuts & Bolts, paint, flapper discs. Winch is a 9,500LBS Tuff Stuff winch. Here are some pics of the process. Feel free to ask any questions. Enjoy. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
Mmmmm...plllaaaasssmaa cuuttterrr... :tu:

Looks sweet, nice job.
Just one thing though, with that being a 9500lbs winch, and the Tundra a pretty heavy truck, I know I'd feel better having a couple front plates on the mount, to stiffen it up...And as a bonus to help keep crud off the ends of the winch?....From the ends of the fairlead mount, over to the frame rails.... ???

But yeah, still a sweet job!!...and good job on the price, too! :tu:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it should be fine. It's fully welded top and bottom with the bottom being welded to the braces on the bottom and pretty well covered by the bumper to keep crap out. If it tweaks ill def add some though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I saw that one while I was researching on ways to do it. Was thinking about going the same route but would have cost a little more. Wanted to keep it as cheap as possible. And I'll admit I stole my idea from the Chevy S10 crowd. But sometimes that's how its done. lol Here's what the S10 setup is like.
293514238.jpg 293514239.jpg DSC03113.jpg

Plan on going out wheeling on Monday. Hopefully don't have to use it but we'll see.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Nice job very clean! Another thing to add to the list!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yesterday while tinkering around I noticed that my winch remote just has a rocker style momentary switch. So I took it apart and put it in with my other switches for my lights. So now I can winch from inside the cab without needing the window cracked or shutting the cable in the door. Had to do some trimming to get it to fit. Was a smidge bigger then the other switches. And in the process I trimmed to much. :( Gonna order another remote someday just to keep my options open.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Good idea on the switch! Will your buddy want to make another mounting plate? And for how much?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is a 2-year old thread. Just obtained a decent 2000 Tundra and was wondering the best route for a winch installation on a budget. This looks to be doable.

Was any cut to the bumper necessary to let the winch "stick out?" If so, is there connection/brace between the winch and the bumper? Perhaps I'm overanalyzing this...

I would like to repeat this install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The winch mount replaced the factory crash bumper behind. The only cutting was in the front where the license plate is installed. It just had to be trimmed enough to clear the fairlead. I built mine before we did his and I used the crush brace to mount mine. Cut out what I needed and then built from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering has anyone ever built a hidden winch for a 1st gen? just kidding...

I finished up building a hidden winch mount for my tundra. Thought I would share with you folks. Didn't get as many pictures as I wanted but my buddy and I were trying to get it done over the past couple days before work. He did most of the work since I don't know how to weld. Basically it's a 1/4" plate with an "A" brace of 1"x1/4" flat stock on the bottom. Plate bolts to the bottom of the frame in the factory tow hook location, tow hooks retained. With one more hole on each side for added strength. Whole project cost me about $390. That includes winch, plate, flat stock, nuts & Bolts, paint, flapper discs. Winch is a 9,500LBS Tuff Stuff winch. Here are some pics of the process. Feel free to ask any questions. Enjoy. :)

Hey, I didn’t notice any pics with the solenoid on the winch. Did you run into any trouble getting the bumper back on even with the solenoid attached to the winch?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts