Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get great light from my truck, however I believe I may be missing an opportunity for even better lighting. I don't know much about HID's and I want to be legal as the neighborhood PD is alway looking for ways to improve their revenue. I am a little worried about the reaction I will get from oncoming drivers. When I pull up behind some folks at the light at night, they start adjusting their drivers side mirror and rear mirror as you know the stock lights can be somewhat overpowering.

I want HID's for city driving mainly. I don't want the purple or heavy blue lighting, but I want a strong, white light.

What do I need for my driving lights? Where's a good place to buy them?

Also, I drive with my fog lights on at night. Do I keep them as they are or can I get them a little brighter without bothering oncoming traffic? Any recommendations here as well will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
I put 5000k HID's in all of my lights ( low/high/fog ). The 5000k is the cleanest white that I could find. I adjusted the aim point on the lows down just a bit. I dont get flashed, the light is 3xbrighter and the cutoff when I pull up behind someone is right at the bottom of the back window. Lord knows the high beams are bright. I put the 35 w lights in the low/fogs and 55 w in the highs. Im happy and dont regret the mod one iota. I got them from a guy on fleabay that a fellow TS member referred me to and paid $130 for ALL of the kits. PM me and Ill give you the link!

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
rudydep,

u mean to tell me you did not do a projector retrofit on the HIDs? how dare you. dont you know from reading here that thats the biggest sin there is? hahhahaha

yeah, i was the one who referred him....love my HIDs just like he does...and aimed them right and no issues WHATSOEVER....so u can spend 45 bucks like we did or spend several hundred to a grand for a retrofit. its been discussed alot, and yes, the retro police will be here soon enough...just ignore them. we do. :)

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any issues passing state inspection? I live in Texas.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Texas here no probs

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I think it's going to look great, who cares about a little glare as long as you're behind the wheel the glare isn't too bad.

Pep Boys has some great deals on truck accessories also.
In all honesty, if I couldn't afford to do a proper HID conversion, I would stick with Sylvania Silverstar or Silverstar Ultra.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yay we made it to the double digit posts before the HID police came in here. that pic doesnt do anything...i can take a pic of halogen lights and have that same effect. oh well, glad u can join this thread..now get out. :p

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
our fog lights really arent fog lights anyway they are just auxillary driving lamps which are certainly permitted. states allow up to 4 lights on the front of a vehicle at any one time...so..not really sure why u had to bring up fog lights right now anyway...they dont do crap in fog really....true fog lights will but not these.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Also, I drive with my fog lights on at night. Do I keep them as they are or can I get them a little brighter without bothering oncoming traffic? Any recommendations here as well will be appreciated.
This is from the original post, that is why he brought up fog lights :boink:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
This is from the original post, that is why he brought up fog lights :boink:
duh i b dumb. i need to stop tryin to read this stuff on my phone while driving its too hard to get all the facts hahahahhahahahaa i stand corrected by the king of HID installs himself. :p

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
is it clearer now or do you need more lumens?
you'll also notice that everyone refers to them as fog lights,including the manufacturer.there's a height requirement for a light not to be considered a fog light btw.
i could probally let u know that i know all the height stuff but its not worth the time hahaha. but yeah, ill take some more lumens if u are passin them out. always can use some to see more clearly hahahahahha seriously though....i missed that part in the OP post and yes they are all referred to as fog lights...just like using a term coke or kleenex ....kinda been universilized to apply to alot of similar things. no biggie.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts