Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 05 DC and the truck idles high when cold. I am used to one doing to compensate for the cold weather but it seems to do it longer than my older tacoma did. Also seems like the transmission is staying in a lower gear and not shifting into overdrive very early. My Sequoia goes into Overdrive and stays there while this one comes out pretty easy and sometimes stays in the lower gear longer than it should. Is this normal on both accounts? Will research forum for info. I am thinking I should clean the intake. Havent had time to look at truck real well yet. It only has 48k miles on it. Nicest truck I ever owned.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have an '05 and it is the same way. According to some other posts I have read they all do it. It is kind of odd having the engine rev so high before hitting overdrive, but is normal for these Tundras.

I too love my truck. By far my favorite.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Every single toyota I ever owned or worked on wil idle quite high when cold. Not only that but they willhold gears much longer till the trans warms up.

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
^^My 2nd Gen did it too.. Although now I let her warm up for about 10 minutes before driving it..

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi it's normal.
but once the truck warm's up ,the idle goes down, & the tranny shifts perectly.
if you don't let it warm up, your idle stay's high, & i assume it some how effects the tranny shifting point's.
not that florida has extreme cold. but it does get in the low 40's, that is cold enough with our tundra's to effect the idle & tranny. so i start her up, do a few thing's, it take's only 3 to 5min.
you can see the temp guage start to rise. than i know it's good to go.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I start mine and let it run for about one maybe one and a half minutes and
I'm off. I drive it very easily until it's warmed up, but I find that
driving it even a few minutes will get it to operating temperature faster
than letting it sit there running and wasting gas. And where I live it
get's pretty cold too.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts