Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not locate thread so I will start new one. What fuel burn are folks getting in Hybirid? My wife is getting around 23 - 28mpg. She went from a Diesel Mercedes at 33 - 37mpg. But at least now she gets to drive a Toyota. Let us know what you are getting in the Hybirid.

Thanks in advance

Charles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Over approximately 1600 miles since I bought the HiHy, I am averaging 29.9 MPG. I drive very gently and pay attention to energy flow to maximize the amount of time I use the battery. I do not consider myself a hypermiler, since I use the AC whenever it is hot out and keep up with traffic flow and the speed limit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MPG has been a hot topic, especially on greenhybrid.com.

We purchased our 06 HyHi used in February 06 out of FL. On the drive back home to AZ we wasted no time and much gas and averaged around 26 over the whole trip (23 at worst and 28 at best using manual calc.) at 80+ mph.

Now after driving it for almost 5 mo. I have found the EPA Est. fuel mileage to be quite optimistic. In fact my observation has been quite the reverse of the EPA Est. 33city 29hwy. I usually get 29-30.5 mpg on the hwy back and forth to work, and around 26 in the city. And to obtain that 30.5 on the highway, I had to drive it like a hypermiler, using the Pulse & Glide technique, though I use the A/C as needed. I also observed that the first 5 min of driving if the vehicle has sat long enough to cool down is the most in-efficient. I usually see about 20mpg on the consumption screen.

So although somewhat dissapointing, the mileage is still quite good for a vehicle of its size. I do enjoying having over a 500 mile range with the vehicle as well.

I Hope this helps..

AZJet:cool:

·
Lifer - Moving Forward --->
498 Posts
azjetmek said:
MPG has been a hot topic, especially on greenhybrid.com.

We purchased our 06 HyHi used in February 06 out of FL. On the drive back home to AZ we wasted no time and much gas and averaged around 26 over the whole trip (23 at worst and 28 at best using manual calc.) at 80+ mph.

Now after driving it for almost 5 mo. I have found the EPA Est. fuel mileage to be quite optimistic. In fact my observation has been quite the reverse of the EPA Est. 33city 29hwy. I usually get 29-30.5 mpg on the hwy back and forth to work, and around 26 in the city. And to obtain that 30.5 on the highway, I had to drive it like a hypermiler, using the Pulse & Glide technique, though I use the A/C as needed. I also observed that the first 5 min of driving if the vehicle has sat long enough to cool down is the most in-efficient. I usually see about 20mpg on the consumption screen.

So although somewhat dissapointing, the mileage is still quite good for a vehicle of its size. I do enjoying having over a 500 mile range with the vehicle as well.

I Hope this helps..

AZJet:cool:
AZJet, You should be doing better in the valley than that. One thing I have found is if you just try to drive with a light foot you do not optimize your mileage. Try bringing it up to speed and then back off on the throttle andjust lightly apply pressure to maintain your speed. It seems top like it when you 'breathe' the throttle a little. I get clsor to 30 MOG in town here inthe NE whenn on the level roads... it's the hills and cold weather that are killing my MPG.

Can't wait to move to AZ, soon I hope!!!! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I live in the hills around LA and I've been pretty underwhelmed by the gas mileage. I love the vehicle and as long as I'm doubling my former gas mileage
(ford explorer), I'll be OK. Just not doing anywhere near the quoted 33 MPG city. I've even resorted to driving the speed limit for a full tank of gas and showed barely 1 MPG improvement. Best overall mileage was a road trip to and from Palm Springs (150 highway miles each way) where I got 26.5 overall. Haven't seen much over 24 since then and it doesn't take much to bring it down to 22. Am using premium gas as recommended although the one or two tanks of regular or mid range gas I tried made little noticeable difference.

I would say test drive the hybrid to see how cool it is and then test drive the regular highlander 2WD and see if it feels as smooth, quiet and powerful. If it's a close call to you I would save the money and go conventional.

·
498 Posts
Well, I live in the hills around LA and I've been pretty underwhelmed by the gas mileage. I love the vehicle and as long as I'm doubling my former gas mileage
(ford explorer), I'll be OK. Just not doing anywhere near the quoted 33 MPG city. I've even resorted to driving the speed limit for a full tank of gas and showed barely 1 MPG improvement. Best overall mileage was a road trip to and from Palm Springs (150 highway miles each way) where I got 26.5 overall. Haven't seen much over 24 since then and it doesn't take much to bring it down to 22. Am using premium gas as recommended although the one or two tanks of regular or mid range gas I tried made little noticeable difference.

I would say test drive the hybrid to see how cool it is and then test drive the regular highlander 2WD and see if it feels as smooth, quiet and powerful. If it's a close call to you I would save the money and go conventional.

Jeff, How many miles on your HH? Like you I wass disappointed at first. Mine didn't seem to do better till I had over 6K and now with just over 10K it usually averages around 29-30 MPG in mixed driving with hills etc. and I see over 30MPG on the flats and in town. That said winter and the cold weather will be arriving soon so I'll be way down again for MPG.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a 2008 highlander Hybrid 90% of the time on the Highway with speed limits 55 to 65......22 to 24 is it...Now if I keep up with Traffic which is 70-75 mph consitant 22. Pull in to the City traffic 27 to 29....My prius was more consistant 45 to 48mpg it didnt matter if you were on highway or city best mpg with that car was 58 highway one time..
9200 miles on highlander.............

·
498 Posts
I have a 2008 highlander Hybrid 90% of the time on the Highway with speed limits 55 to 65......22 to 24 is it...Now if I keep up with Traffic which is 70-75 mph consitant 22. Pull in to the City traffic 27 to 29....My prius was more consistant 45 to 48mpg it didnt matter if you were on highway or city best mpg with that car was 58 highway one time..
9200 miles on highlander.............

The HH on the highway is not the best in class for sure. However, my 06 will get 25-28 on the highways and mixed highway and secondary roads (45-55mph) have gotted 29-30mpg regularly on a trip. The v6, while smaller then the std Highlander still does not sip gas as well I believe as it could.

In this cold weather in town I only get 19-22 mpg, still better then the nonhybrid

·
Registered
24 Posts
My Last post in this thread was recent mileage cold weather. Also my car is in a heated garage if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Update, our 2011 now has about 13K on the odometer and we have not reset the total MPG meter since we got it in March. It is now showing 25.2 MPG, its gone down about 2 MPG.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello,

I just bought a 'used new' 2012 Highlander Hybrid Limited with less than 800 miles on it for $40K. I have been considering used BMW X5 diesel (over 425 torque and over 26mpg) and ran into this Highlander Hybrid. Obviously MPG is my big concern. After driving for only 2 days, my first impression is that I am afraid I will be disappointed on the MPG performance of HH. To qualify my experience in hybrid vehicle, I also have a 2010 Prius that I drove for over 2years and achieved 52 mpg combined over the entire 50000 miles. While driving very conservatively (trying to keep in EV only as much as possible), the HH seems capable of achieving over 28MPG in pure city driving. However, if driving 'normally' and mixed freeway, it drops to 22-23 MPG. I don't see how EPA can rated 28 MPG for both city and hwy. Average 28 means mixed city and hwy should be around 28 or higher. Unless I missed some button of control, I don't see this Highlander can return 28 mpg mixed. Would like to hear your experience.
Thank you and glad to be here.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Update . Our 2011 HH now just turned 35K on the odometer and showing 25.0 MPG of unresetted total MPG meter. We drive with 99% with the AC on and we drive it normal like a non-hybrid cars. It looks like the 28MPG EPA isnt happening but thats ok, 25 MPG isnt bad for an AWD 45000LBS SUV

·
Registered
3 Posts
2016 Platinum first tank of gas was 80% city and I got 27.4 mpg for the tank. 2nd tank of gas I drove 120 up to the mountains, 90 miles in the city, then 120 miles back down the mountain to the valley below. I got 31.4 mog going uphill, 28.4 around town, and 38.7 coming down hill. On refill, the tank average was 28.3. Surprised me with an almost 5,000 pound SUV, and hope it holds true as I add the miles.This was with the air conditioning on all the time.

I have 7200 miles on the 2016 hybrid now. I am disappointed in the mpg I get. For the 7200 miles I average 14.5 mpg. For June - Sept 2016 I averaged 14.5 mpg. It is very dependant it seems on how much stop and go city driving I do. I get 31 mpg on the level highway at 60 mph. But getting to the highway, all the stop and go I see a lot of 5 mpg, 8 mpg, 13 mpg on the Scangauge II. I am in Winter now and 22.5 mpg for the day seems typical when the heater is on. When the hear is off it shoots back up to 26 mpg for the day. These numbers are for mixed city/highway (mostly highway)

Bottom line I am happy with the 2016 Highlander ... solid, quiet, comfortable vehicle. The fuel economy disappoints me. I am looking to locate fuel economy numbers for the non hybrid 2016. If those numbers are 5 mpg less than the EPA numbers it comes out in the wash. If the non-hybrid gets close to EPA mileage then the hybrid is a waste of money I think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts