Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took my HiHy in for its 5K routine maintenance. I provided the 5W30 synthetic oil (Mobile One) since they charge an arm and leg for the synthetic oil (2yr /24K Dealer maintenance plan). They told me that Totoya is now specifying 5W20 - although my Oil cap and manuals state "SAE 5W30". :eek:

So for those of you in the same boat - check it out. I would think that Toyota should notify registered owners of a change in their recommendations. How many Jiffy Lubes, etc whould know this? And why the change?

Seadog....:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
The answer is Gas Mileage. Toyota is struggling to bump up the MPG for owners re. the EPA ratings that they advertised, yet customers are not Getting even close to. The 5w20 will slightly help. But it's the trend of other Manaufacturers too.

Hybrid customers have been complaining the most of BS gas mileage.
But Toyota will tell them yu MUST start with Premium Fuel (HiHyV6), and drive with a 'Hyper Mile FOOT'. Special technique of driving. What B.S.!!!!:) If you are a lead foot driver, yu are a lead foot driver. But now people are buying these Hybrids and don't see results of WAY WAY great mileage, and now they are told to drive EASILY with the Foot on pedal. Come on ,give me a break. A non hybrid car will yield better mileage too if yu drive WITHOUT a lead foot.
Hey, Toyota, are there special classes being taught 'how to drive the Hybrid models'. Sign me up.

Anyway, the 5w20 oil will help the overall gas milieage to some extent.

soon we will have -10w.005 multigrade oil!!:p

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am wondering if the 5W-20 will protect the engine as much as
5W-30 in the long haul, say 100,000 miles or so. Any comments?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honda and Ford have been using 5W20 for a few years. My only experience with the 5W20 is with our crown vic police interceptors. That is the only weight oil used and we run those vehicles to about 100K and rarely have an engine issue. Keep in mind the type of use these vehicles get and the 5W20 has kept them running in tip top shape so your typical car shouldn't experience any issues with it either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts