Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Highlander Hybrid Limited. It came with Toyo Open Country tires on it (245/55 R-19). I got 33,000 out of them before they hit the tread-wear indicators.

I'd been watching the boards for the past six months and wanted to say thanks to all who posted their experiences and advice. Between this forum and Tirerack I found lots of invaluable advice. Thought I would post my experience just to add to the history out there for anyone doing research before buying new tires.

Like many, I wasn't happy with the selection available in the 245/55 R-19 size, so I decided to jump up to 255/60 R-19. Narrowed it down to the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas and the Michelin Tour Latitudes.

Ultimately decided on the Michelins since they are an S rating and the Bridgestones are an H rating. I hypothesized the Michelin S rating would offer a bit less rolling resistance than the Bridgestone H rated tire. (Not being able to do a side-by-side test this remains purely a hypothesis.)

The fit is fine and I like the way they handle. Been running them for not quite a week now. They give the car a different look than the lower profile 245/55 tires, but I can't say that I prefer the aesthetics of one over the other. I've been running them at 36 psi (the door sill calls for 33 psi).

There is noticeably more rolling resistance than the Toyo's that it came with. I figure that's to expected both with new tread compared to worn tread, and with a larger, heavier tire. It's a small data set, but in the 185 miles since the tires went on I've averaged 24.5 vs. 25.9 previous historic average (-5.5%). We'll see how the fuel efficiency tracks over the life of the tires.

We live in northern CA and rarely go to the mountains so these tires will see snow and ice rarely--once a year at most. We've had heavy rains the past week and they've done fine--very sure footed and responsive.

One interesting thing is that when I had them installed I asked to have them set at 36 psi cold vs. 33 psi. The tech said that a new California law requires them to set the tires at the pressure recommended by the vehicle manufacturer and that they are subject to a heavy fine if they deviate. I drove it off at 33 and thought I'd give it a try for a few days. It was "fine" but just not what I like. On the third day I bumped it up to 36 and could tell an immediate difference in ride and handling. Just my preference.

Overall happy and expect to get 2x the wear out of the Michelins as compared to the Toyos.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts