Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I have an '02 Highlander Limited with almost 100,000 KM (60,000 MI) on it. I am thinking of dealing it in on a Tundra DC 5.7L. I have been very happy with the Highlander and am struggling as to whether I want to part with it or not.

I've owned many Toyota vehicles over the years. My first was a 4 cyl. Toyota Truck (when they only made one pickup) in 1988. Then I had a 4 Runner, then a Corolla, and now a RAV and Highlander. My family also has many Toyotas so I am very familiar with the level of quality.

I took a Tundra out for a test drive and I LOVED it. I am 6'2", 230 lb and have always found it hard to find a comfortable cockpit in a vehicle. Well, the Tundra has "Tun"s of room.

While I don't "need" a truck, it is certainly tempting since I will get max. trade in on my Highlander.

My concerns on the negative side are things like real world MPG (or L/100km here in Canada). The Highlander is using about 11.2 L/100km (21 MPG) average. I realize the Tundra will be a little more thirsty but having a truck like that is probably worth it. I've never owned a full size vehicle before but from what I've read here, it sounds like the Tundra is better in the mileage department than most other trucks.

Other than that concern, I think everything else is great! The power, size and comfort of the Tundra is really drawing me in.

If I go ahead with this purchase, I would be leasing the Tundra for 2 or 3 years just to keep my monthly payments low. Then at the end of the lease, I can hand it back or buy it.

Has anyone else here moved from something like a Highlander to the Tundra?

Thanks!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Has anyone else here moved from something like a Highlander to the Tundra?
I have both a Highlander Hybrid and a 07 Tundra. Best of both worlds!!
You say you're getting about 21MPG. My 5.7L 4x4 DC Tundra is averaging 16 MPG mixed but some folks are reporting less. If gas mileage is your biggest concern a full size truck can use a lot of it. But if you really want a big truck for the room, power and other advantages then I say go for it!

Jim

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm going from the RX 300 to the Tundra. I believe my Lexus is very similar to the Highlander. About the same MPG. I love the Lexus but it only tows 3000# which is very limiting. The Tundra's cabin is not nearly as nice but it is a truck.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies.

I had to make are very tough decision. The dealer had the exact Tundra I wanted on the lot (Blk 5.7L DC TRD). As much as I like the Tundra, I decided to pass on this and keep my Highlander. The HL is serving me very well still and is a Limited with all the toys. Plus, the HL is paid off so I'm not making a car payment right now.

Anyway, the Tundra is certainly a great machine. Maybe I'll get one sometime in the future.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts