Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new Tundra for less than 48 hours now...5.7 Limited double cab 4X4, Timberland Mica, red-rock interior (replacing a 2002 Tundra). I'll be using it to tow a horse trailer, 5500-7000lbs, 18.5 ft long. I managed to get the factory-installed tow mirrors.

I've never used tow mirrors before, and I've seen a few posts here that give me hope that I'll love them once I get used to them and figure out how to use them. So far, though, they have me completely confused - I don't know where to look and can't figure out how to adjust them to get rid of the blind spot on the passenger side.

Anyone with experience have any hints about how to adjust the top and bottom parts for best visibility, both without a trailer, when my main goal is to see in the lane next to me, and also with a trailer, when I also really want to see behind me? I have no idea what to do with the bottom part in particular.

I noticed that there are two positions for the mirror - kind of angled in a bit towards the truck, and at an almost ninety-degree angle to it. I have it at the angled-in position - is there any reason I'd ever want it in the other position?

So far I'm loving the truck, though I haven't towed with it yet - still getting my hitch set up. For some reason, the electrical connector and chains on my trailer, which were plenty long enough to reach my old Tundra, need to be extended a bit to reach the plug and hitch receiver on the new one. Must have to do with where the hitch receiver is set on the new truck, and also the shank might be longer...

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the lower part adjusted out to see the lanes next to me and help me with the blind spots.

You can easily adjust the larger mirrors from inside the truck.

I've had my new Tundra for less than 48 hours now...5.7 Limited double cab 4X4, Timberland Mica, red-rock interior (replacing a 2002 Tundra). I'll be using it to tow a horse trailer, 5500-7000lbs, 18.5 ft long. I managed to get the factory-installed tow mirrors.

I've never used tow mirrors before, and I've seen a few posts here that give me hope that I'll love them once I get used to them and figure out how to use them. So far, though, they have me completely confused - I don't know where to look and can't figure out how to adjust them to get rid of the blind spot on the passenger side.

Anyone with experience have any hints about how to adjust the top and bottom parts for best visibility, both without a trailer, when my main goal is to see in the lane next to me, and also with a trailer, when I also really want to see behind me? I have no idea what to do with the bottom part in particular.

I noticed that there are two positions for the mirror - kind of angled in a bit towards the truck, and at an almost ninety-degree angle to it. I have it at the angled-in position - is there any reason I'd ever want it in the other position?

So far I'm loving the truck, though I haven't towed with it yet - still getting my hitch set up. For some reason, the electrical connector and chains on my trailer, which were plenty long enough to reach my old Tundra, need to be extended a bit to reach the plug and hitch receiver on the new one. Must have to do with where the hitch receiver is set on the new truck, and also the shank might be longer...

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer!

·
Registered
848 Posts
i am in the same boat as you ...but i have had my truck 6 weeks already and i still havent got them 100% figured out .... if i had to do it again i would probally buy the regular limited mirrors

·
Registered
41 Posts
I adjust the upper mirrors as I would normally and then adjust the lower mirror so the inner edge of the mirror shows a portion of the truck for a reference point (Rear door handles in my case). When I watch a vehicle approaching me from the rear in another lane, as they are dissapearing from my large mirrors they appear in the lower convex mirrors. I had to play around a bit to find the angle that I like but it's set up now an working great.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
77 Posts
big part: adjust normal
small part: adjust so i can see the position of my rear tires while parking or negotiating small parking lots or parallel parking or anything that has to do with curbs. i don't trust them as blind spot mirrors... i just look over my shoulder.

·
Registered
281 Posts
big part: adjust normal
small part: adjust so i can see the position of my rear tires while parking or negotiating small parking lots or parallel parking or anything that has to do with curbs. i don't trust them as blind spot mirrors... i just look over my shoulder.
Yeah I like this setup too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts