Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy- bought an '07 5.7 4x4 longbed on March 1st. Immediately ran up the coast to Santa Barbara (truck is so fun to drive) on the 3rd and got hit by a freeway Exit sign on the 405 (carpool lane)!

Can you believe that? The sign was evidently blown down by Santa Ana winds and then thrown into the air by another vehicle. Slow motion flipping through the air and then impacting the front of my new truck. Luckily not decapitating me!

Anyways, the punctured the chrome trim around the radiator, dented the chrome bumper, scratched the left headlight lens and scratched the painted bumper deck. Total cost to repair? $1100 just got the estimate today.

Anybody know what happens to the parts that they take off of my vehicle- the chrome bumper isn't that damaged nor is the headlight lens- will they give them to me or do they keep them?

Still love the truck- do I get an award for the first scratch?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Now that sucks!!! Sorry for your luck, and I hope that is all the torture your new ride endures, other than from a heavy right foot!:D I propose that you should get to make this a sticky on the site, kind of a horror story-hour for TS!:devil:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well I was doing some PDR work for my local dealer, and the GM brought me a 07 DC back with a huge dent on the right front fender. She had opened the door on a 07 reg cab and the wind caught the door, slammed it into the DC next to it. I got it fixed. I was wondering if it was maybe the first damaged. Atleast it wasn't mine.

Sorry for you bad luck. Hope the repair turns out good. Hate to see a new Tundra bent up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well I was doing some PDR work for my local dealer, and the GM brought me a 07 DC back with a huge dent on the right front fender. She had opened the door on a 07 reg cab and the wind caught the door, slammed it into the DC next to it. I got it fixed. I was wondering if it was maybe the first damaged. Atleast it wasn't mine.

Sorry for you bad luck. Hope the repair turns out good. Hate to see a new Tundra bent up.
Let's all hope that she reports that to whomever purchases that truck! I'm not saying it will be worth a lot of money off, but the buyer definitely needs to know about it!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Well I repaired the fender back to new. No paint, no bondo, if you didn't see it while it was dented you'll never know about it. You would be suprised at how many hail damaged vehicles we repair at the factory that are sold as new. They only have to disclose the damage if it cost them a certain amount to repair it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well I repaired the fender back to new. No paint, no bondo, if you didn't see it while it was dented you'll never know about it. You would be suprised at how many hail damaged vehicles we repair at the factory that are sold as new. They only have to disclose the damage if it cost them a certain amount to repair it.
So your saying you/dealers don't disclose to buyers that you're selling them vehicles with body damage repairs? What's the dollar limit?

Jim

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
So your saying you/dealers don't disclose to buyers that you're selling them vehicles with body damage repairs? What's the dollar limit?

Jim
Dealers are scum. Dollar limit I believe is $500 BUT if the dealer uses a certain body shop all the time or owns one they stretch the truth. We replaced a whole quarter panel and rear bumper on a new 3.2TL and they never told the customer. This required removing interiro, Headliner, Windows, and so much more. Dealers LIE. So inspect your vehicle as close as possible when purchasing.

ASK for your damaged parts back and they should be able to save them for you.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Anybody know what happens to the parts that they take off of my vehicle- the chrome bumper isn't that damaged nor is the headlight lens- will they give them to me or do they keep them?
Your insurance company just bought them, so ask for them from the repair place and they're yours now.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Howdy- bought an '07 5.7 4x4 longbed on March 1st. Immediately ran up the coast to Santa Barbara (truck is so fun to drive) on the 3rd and got hit by a freeway Exit sign on the 405 ...
Wouldn't the state of California be responsible for the damage? Have you contacted the Dept of HWY's or whoever might be able to field the complaint?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Howdy- bought an '07 5.7 4x4 longbed on March 1st. Immediately ran up the coast to Santa Barbara (truck is so fun to drive) on the 3rd and got hit by a freeway Exit sign on the 405 (carpool lane)!

Can you believe that? The sign was evidently blown down by Santa Ana winds and then thrown into the air by another vehicle. Slow motion flipping through the air and then impacting the front of my new truck. Luckily not decapitating me!

Anyways, the punctured the chrome trim around the radiator, dented the chrome bumper, scratched the left headlight lens and scratched the painted bumper deck. Total cost to repair? $1100 just got the estimate today.

Still love the truck- do I get an award for the first scratch?
Sorry to hear about your truck. The main thing is that you weren't hurt or worse. :tu:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip about the parts- I'll ask and see it I can get them- I dunno what for but maybe one of you guys might need them sometime.

One last thing: After I talked to the insurance agent on the phone and she took details she told me that 30 minutes before I called another guy got hit by a sign too- on a different freeway. Evidently this kind of deal happens all the time.

Didn't get around to uploading pics. got back from Linex and went for a paddle 'til dark. I'm taking it in on Monday so I'll see if I can get a photo before then.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The disclosure amount is different in each state. The dent I repaired was just a bad door ding. something you would get at Wal-mart or Target. I don't think any dealer would ever disclose a door ding repair. If the paint was not damaged and you can't tell it was ever repaired, would it matter anyway?
No my local dealer is not trying to stick it to anyone, and they are not scum. I know every dealer in the US uses a PDR guy to repair door dings and I promise no dealer has ever disclosed a door ding. I have put over 10 dents in my 04 DC just to prove to people that i can repair them without paint and bondo.

You should be able to ask your local insurance agent what the disclosure amount is for your state.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts