Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't mean to beat a dead horse by adding more hitch questions but I browsed some of the other threads and it seems more towards the newer tundras already with hitch packages or V8 tundras and OD vs Non-OD. I'll try to be as detailed as possible to get as much help as I can.

I have an '03 V6 Tundra Access Cab SR5. I have attached some pictures to further help out with my question. I plan to rent out a Uhaul trailer and load it up with probably no more than 200-3000lbs, if even. It'll probably one of the smaller trailers b/c it's not a lot of stuff. I went to Uhaul and the guy told me that putting on a Ball hitch attached to my bumper wasn't a good idea and could damage my truck or worse case scenario, dismantel from my truck. I attached some pictures to see if anyone can give me any recommendations as to what type of product(s) I should get. I'm only going to be traveling maybe 300 miles and this will be the first time doing this. I just wanted some better info and places where I can buy a decent, cheap hitch, IE Pepboys, Walmart, etc. I'm probably going to put some lighter items in the bed of my truck as well if that makes a difference.

I was reading some of the other threads so I took a pic of what could be the electrical wiring hookup for the brakes maybe? I also took a pic under the bumper b/c I was thinking, it's not really attached to the bumper itself but the frame of the truck. And the speedlimits on these trailers say 45mph, do I really have to drive that fast? I'm assuming since I have a V6, OD off would probably be the best way too correct? Anyway, if anyone could help me out b/c I'm kind've on a time frame I would truly appreciate it. Thanks.

sorry for the phone cam pics but I don't have my digicam with me.

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Wow A new Vegas member!
Welcome aboard!
Course ya could be from New Mexico?

You can run 80 if the load is distributed correctly.
The bolt on hitches are not that expensive and will be there the next time ya need it. For the u-haul you only need a 4 wire flat type connector.
If you are not able to do it your self u-haul and others can mount the hitch and do the wiring.
Tundras do better towing than hauling stuff.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
It looks like from your second picture you already have the necessary hookup for the flat 4 pin connector needed for the Uhaul trailer. Covered there.

I would highly recommend you spend the $100-150 and get a hitch that is bolted to the frame. You could probably get by using a ball in the bumper but using a hitch is a better way to tow IMO. Not sure what the weight ratings are on the Tundra bumper, but you will be able to handle a heavier tongue weight and a heavier trailer. Like Rambrush said, it's there the next time you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
It looks like from your second picture you already have the necessary hookup for the flat 4 pin connector needed for the Uhaul trailer. Covered there.

I would highly recommend you spend the $100-150 and get a hitch that is bolted to the frame. You could probably get by using a ball in the bumper but using a hitch is a better way to tow IMO. Not sure what the weight ratings are on the Tundra bumper, but you will be able to handle a heavier tounge weight and a heavier trailer. Like Rambush said, it's there the next time you need it.
USMCParrisIsland is offering really excellent advice. :tu: I heartily endorse his comments.

IIRC, a bumper mounted ball is rated for not more than 500 lbs tongue weight and 5000 lbs total weight. Personally I think those are somewhat optimistic ratings...and it's pretty easy to get over 500 lbs of tongue weight with a U-Haul cargo trailer depending on how you load it (e.g. a lot of heavy stuff up front). All in all I don't think it's a real smart idea to use a bumper mounted ball unless you were towing something really, really light....like a little utility trailer with a lawn mower on it...or a motorcycle trailer with just one bike mounted.

By contrast a Class III/IV hitch receiver is usually rated for 750 lbs of tongue weight/7500 lbs total weight when a weight bearing hitch (i.e. not a weight distributing hitch) is used.

Bottom line...just as USMCParrisIsland recommends: install a frame mounted Class III/IV hitch receiver. A hitch receiver also allow you to use hitches (the part that inserts into the hitch receiver) with different "drops" to accommodate trailers with different tongue heights. With a bumper mounted ball you have no ability to compensate for different trailer tongue heights.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm actually driving from LA to Vegas, hauling a queen sized bed and some other things.

Thanks for all the help. That's what I thought that plug was and I'm guessing that the Uhaul trailer would just be pretty easy to just plug it in right or is there some technical red wire blue wire type of matching??

As for the bolt on, how difficult is it to install?? Uhaul wanted to charge $90 for the install and if it's a bolt on, I'd rather just install it myself. Even for the wiring they wanted to charge an extra charge to wire it but if its just a plug and play, I'd rather just do it all myself.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Yes, the wiring is simply a plug and play. I will take pictures tomorrow to show what each end looks like. Very easy.

I believe the hitch receiver has 6 bolts. I double checked your first picture and there are already holes drilled in the frame to receive the bolts. I've never done it before, but I would assume it would be pretty easy. May want to have a second person help you so that while you are starting the bolts on one side, the person can be holding up the other side.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool. I have about 3 other people helping me move so it shouldn't be a problem. I just don't want to have to pay for something that's easy to install. Thanks for all the help, seriously.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I know I'm late to the thread, but I put a hitch on my '01 last year, and it was really easy. I got a Hidden Hitch from an online store (don't remember which one, sorry) for about a $100, and I got a T-one connector for the back of the truck for about $45. The connector plugged into a harness under my driver's side tail light, but I didn't have any factory 4-way plug to start with. The hitch was cheap and used six bolts to mount it. EASY! Like the others have posted, get the class III/IV hitch and be done with it. It will surely come in handy somewhere down the road... Good luck with whatever you decide, just be safe towing any trailer. Most people don't respect others who are towing. :td:

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
Several of the bolt ons are of a universal nature, most of the holes will be there. there is a possibility of have having to drill a hole or 2 just depends on manufacture.

They are not hard to install, just heavy. I have clamped one side or used a jack to hold them up while bolting it up.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Okay, here are some pictures.

This is what is on your truck. It's under that black cover in your second picture.

And this is what will be on the trailer. Simply plug the two together, make sure all the lights work and you're good to go.

Noticed while I was under there you may want to remove the spare tire first. Doing that will give you ALOT more room to work in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts