Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my Tundras brake fluid today, I used dot 3 synthetic.

I purchased a hose with a check valve and a hose clamp at AA, the clamp holds the hose to the zerk fitting, its a must to do a one man brake purge. shown on the right of the picture full of five year old brake fluid.

To remove the fluid from the reservoir I made the suction bottle, I drilled two holes on a Pepsi bottle cap, I got some tubing from work, the tubes fit tight one is longer than the other, Cost nada $0, by sucking on the short tube you can quickly draw the fluid out. I have a vacuum pump but wasn't really needed. shown to the left of the picture.

That is new dot fluid in the bottle to compare.

Heres the fluid from my 05 Civic, I think the body shop saves old brake fluid, this car only has 20k it wasn't that dirty till I got it back from the body shop.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another easy way to flush the brake fluid by yourself is to gravity bleed.
Open the cap on the master cylinder, use a turkey baster and suck the old fluid out then refill with flesh fluid, put a pan under each wheel, then crack each bleeder screw. Now sit back and watch the master cylinder making sure it doesn't suck in air, keep fluid in there. Once you see the new fluid draining on each tighten them and your done.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another easy way to flush the brake fluid by yourself is to gravity bleed.
Open the cap on the master cylinder, use a turkey baster and suck the old fluid out then refill with flesh fluid, put a pan under each wheel, then crack each bleeder screw. Now sit back and watch the master cylinder making sure it doesn't suck in air, keep fluid in there. Once you see the new fluid draining on each tighten them and your done.
Dam I like that idea, never tried that, Thats for when you have no air or rusty sediments in there to flush, but perfect for just swapping fluids :tu: good idea.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Works great if you have a lift, or have the truck on stands with the tires off. Might be alittle difficult with the tires on. I do it all the time at the dealership.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts