Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has an 06 4runner, and there is no good place to put the garage door opener because of the thickness of the visor. Has anyone put Homelink in a vehicle that was not originally equipped with it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a 5 minute job to replace the front dome light/sun glass holder with one with the HL controls. The part is $76 from online (discount) OEM parts dealer. You need to specify color (Grey is called stone) and if you have a sun roof or not. Programing the unit is another 5 minutes. The control unit has 3 buttons and also interfaces with X10 devices.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My wife has an 06 4runner, and there is no good place to put the garage door opener because of the thickness of the visor. Has anyone put Homelink in a vehicle that was not originally equipped with it?
Yes, it is a piece of cake, I have done it to two 4runners.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, these guys were right on:ts: . Got mine installed today, 84.69 incl. shipping from partznet.com. It took me a little longer because I have two garage doors with the rolling code, but it was still under 15 min. And my wife's happy, and that's what counts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Im reviving an old post but I just joined and trolled through all posts. This one is relevant to me. I wanted to know for the $80 that you all spent for the Homelink was it just the center homelink device or was the $80 for the entire Overhead console with homelink between the dome lights?

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
Im reviving an old post but I just joined and trolled through all posts. This one is relevant to me. I wanted to know for the $80 that you all spent for the Homelink was it just the center homelink device or was the $80 for the entire Overhead console with homelink between the dome lights?
It's the entire overhead console. Did mine a few months ago and works great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks. I put a bid on one on ebay but I was outbid. Now I was thinking of getting a "universal" Homelink (which looks like it came out of the visor of a Sequoia) on ebay and doin some solderin to get it to work. Or the simple route is to just buy it from partznet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I won the bid for the generic Homelink module on ebay. I now have buyers remorse because I was reading how easy it is to install the auto dimmer rear view mirror from Gentex. Oh well. I will have to modify this Homelink when I get it to fit in the OEM space between the map lights. Doesnt look like it will fit.

To see how much space I had, I removed the overhead console. It was harder than I thought. You have to really give it a hard pull from the bottom end (where the sunglass holder is). You will hear a PING from the pins at the back letting lose. At least I did. Now I have a problem. One of the retention pins flew off and I cant find it so my overhead console will be a little loose when I put it back. Any ideas on where I can get a repalcement pin. Can I go to Kragen or Auto Zone and get a generic part?

Im talking about this part below. I borrowed this pic from toybox from this link: Toyota - 4Runner . org Forum - Homelink Garage Door Opener

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
One of the retention pins flew off and I cant find it so my overhead console will be a little lose when I put it back. Any ideas on where I can get a repalcement pin. Can I go to Kragen or Auto Zone and get a generic part?
Should be less than a dollar from your local dealership...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went to my dealership and they do not carry the retaining clip. You can only get it when you buy the overhead console without Homelink or one with Homelink. My dealer was gonna charge me $116 for the Homelink version. I said no. The guy at the counter said they dont sell the clip and they do not have anything similar like it. It turns out that they only use that clip for the overhead console. He did give me a freebie yellow plastic retaining clip used for trim panels but it doesnt fit right.

I then got so frustrated that I just fabricated my own out of flashing. It took me a good hour to make adjustments to it but now it fits perfectly. Now just waiting for the Homelink module to arrive.

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
The console (Homelink) and wiring "should" be the same for an '07.
When you go to your dealer, ask them if the part # is the same for an '06. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
The console (Homelink) and wiring "should" be the same for an '07.
When you go to your dealer, ask them if the part # is the same for an '06. :D
Thanks - In looking for the best price one dealer says yes, the other says no....go figure...:rolleyes:

I'll just research it some more - but the "opener" is actually in the overhead console with this system...is that correct?

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
..........the "opener" is actually in the overhead console with this system...is that correct?
Yes, that is correct.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok - so I make a few more phone calls. There seems to be some confusion as to whether or not it comes with the electronics...so if someone can go step by step with me for a moment.

I have the stone (gray) interior, without moonroof and want the opener - so I need part number 636700W030B0 - Is that correct?

Does that part number come with the electronics (opener)?

The opener on partznet only goes up to 2006, when I asked if it would work on an '07 they told me no - but then when I asked what the part number was for an '07 they gave me the same number as the '06. Also, a few websites use a date range of 2003-2007 for the same part number.

The confusion at a few dealers seems to be that

1) They haven't sold any of them that they can remember.
2) Why would the console with the electronics included be the same price as one without?

My gut tells me it'll work....and if it comes with the electronics I'm pretty sure it will.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts