Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks---

The hood release cable/catch mechanism on my '04 AC does not consistently return to closed position after opening. Thus the hood will not fully latch shut, even though the safety catch latches fine. I lubed the catch w/white lithium grease, including pivot points and spring attachments, but problem still exists. The alignment of the latch mechanism seems to be fine. The interior handle does not return to the closed position either, suggesting a sticking cable.

Has anyone successfully lubed this cable, and if so, how? What is the method for lubing the entire cable length? I could replace the cable, but am hoping there is a simpler solution.

Thanks for any ideas!

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
The cable is inside of a long plastic tube that you can't open up. You'd have to replace the whole cable. And it's probly a pain in the @ss to do.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The same thing happened on my 00 4runner. I ended up using WD40, sprayed the whole latch with it, then tried to get the cable where it exits the plastic sheathing. Then pull the handle to move the cable, and it should fix it, if not keep trying to get WD40 down the cable sheathing.

Hope it helps you :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi folks---

The hood release cable/catch mechanism on my '04 AC does not consistently return to closed position after opening. Thus the hood will not fully latch shut, even though the safety catch latches fine. I lubed the catch w/white lithium grease, including pivot points and spring attachments, but problem still exists. The alignment of the latch mechanism seems to be fine. The interior handle does not return to the closed position either, suggesting a sticking cable.

Has anyone successfully lubed this cable, and if so, how? What is the method for lubing the entire cable length? I could replace the cable, but am hoping there is a simpler solution.

Thanks for any ideas!
i had the same problem with my cable, the latch itself closed on the cable end inside my tundra. and so the wire inside the cable was bent, and did not allow for the hood to close all the way. MY problem was the latch would not open to grasp the hood when i wanted to close it. so i had to pry it open with a screw driver to close to hood all the way.

needless to say, i talked to the dealer and they gave me a new cord. and offered to install it (probably not for free), the cable was not free either. so i did it myself and it took me about 20-30 minutes to replace. the biggest pain is the hing houseing itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts