Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
400 HP, 400 ft/lbs, 23 mpg with a diesel like torque curve.... out of a v6??? yes please.

Spied! 2011 Ford F-150 with EcoBoost V-6 - PickupTrucks.com News

your move toyota.
Wow, if that's the case then Ford has some pretty nice powertrains coming for the future, and from what I've seen it was badly needed. I'll definitely look at the Fords for my next truck (in addition to Toyota) but they just don't seem to have a quality feel to me. I know there are a lot of Tundra interior haters on here but I had a brand new Explorer 4x4 as a rental last weekend and everything inside just felt chintzy compared to my Tundra.

-Wes

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Maybe ford can change interior and exterior with a more round look.

Wow, if that's the case then Ford has some pretty nice power trains coming for the future, and from what I've seen it was badly needed. I'll definitely look at the Fords for my next truck (in addition to Toyota) but they just don't seem to have a quality feel to me. I know there are a lot of Tundra interior haters on here but I had a brand new Explorer 4x4 as a rental last weekend and everything inside just felt chintzy compared to my Tundra.

-Wes

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my tundra interior feels cheap to me - and the bucket seats are uncomfortable. my 2004 f150 had a really nice interior IMO. interior tastes aside - it's going to be a sad day when Fords V6 romps all over everyone's prized 5.7's. ;)

·
Tire Roasting Member
927 Posts
my tundra interior feels cheap to me - and the bucket seats are uncomfortable. my 2004 f150 had a really nice interior IMO. interior tastes aside - it's going to be a sad day when Fords V6 romps all over everyone's prized 5.7's. ;)
Considering the 6.2 in the Raptor doesn't even come close to touching the "prized 5.7" in 0-60 or the quarter mile, I'm not too worried...Even with street tires it would only run mid 6's and around 15 flat with more hp and tq than the EB V6 or the 5.7 in the Tundra.

By the way, I love the idea of having a twin turbo V6 in a truck. Ford is finally stepping it up...

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I'm not worried either... it is hard to beat the 5.7 as it is and any real gains on it are mostly for bragging rights except for maybe improved mileage. But Ford always had nice interiors and used good materials on the inside; that is something I think Toyota needs to get back to doing. But the only issue I see with Ford is the very aged "square"-like theme on the interior... that needs MAJOR updating. Also, Tundra stills bests everyone on the absolute best use of space... I like all the little extras, they actually come in handy and are useful.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Time for Toyota to catch up and bump up the 5.7 to 500hp.

Ford will bite into Toyota sales with a fast F-150. The V-6 numbers, however, sound a bit to good to be true. I´ll wait for a car & driver test...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Ford interiors are not "nice" by any means. They look unrealistic and fake and have the most horrible seats, yea worse than the Tundra. Ford's are so lame. The drive train is about all they got going for em'

·
Registered
918 Posts
If this is true, someone explain to me why I'd waste money on a 5.0.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Calm down guys, the "source" in that limk is an idiot.

That motor is currently in service in the Taurus SHO.........numbers are 365/360

There's no way Ford will put that motor in a much heavier vehicle and tune it for HIGHER peak numbers (read higher RPM's)

100% WAG on my part will it may be tuned for a tad more torque down lower, but the peak(s) will be in the 325/350 range.

Same theory applies to the 400/400(+-) 5.0 used in the Mustang.........expect lower peak numbers, but higher numbers down low.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I predict it gets 1.5 mpg better in the real world than a comparably rated larger (V8) engine. Not worth the probably cost premium and longevity compromise.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The reason why I see Ford doing this is 100% to meet the new light truck CAFE standards. If you don't think 1-3mpg difference is that much, apply that across all the fleet vehicles sold. That's my take at least.

·
The M.F.I.C.
3,762 Posts
I agree with the nay-sayers... the 6.2L may be a viable choice, but a supercharged v6 probably won't reach those numbers.

Here's an excerpt from Car & Driver's testing 2010 Ford Taurus SHO - Road Test - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver:

"What we now have is a Taurus SHO that weighs 4346 pounds—998 pounds more than the original....Ford’s 3.5-liter “EcoBoost” V-6 makes 365 horsepower at 5500 rpm and 350 pound-feet of torque at 3500 rpm. The engine features direct fuel injection, variable intake-valve timing, and two small turbochargers that put out a maximum of 12 psi of boost....except perhaps our as-tested fuel economy of 16 mpg. Even at a steady 80 mph, our Taurus had trouble topping 20 mpg....It rips to 60 mph in 5.2 seconds"

So, throwing that engine into a nearly 6000lb truck...? No, I don't see it as a "Performance Option." Zero-to-60 of 5.2 secs is good for the Taurus at 4300lbs, but adding 1700lbs in a truck seems like adding an anchor.

·
Registered
513 Posts
3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, it will be rated at about 400 hp and more than 400 pounds-feet of torque. nope sorry. not in a production motor. i would say that you would be hard pressed to get that with a bolt on kit turbo on any ford v6 (regular production not some 500 made car). if it was a toyota motor or honda it might be plausible. but on a ford this is myth busted (lol) what psi? there is a turbo guy on this forum that really knows his stuff, what psi on 93 would you run to get 400 hp on a 3.5 with crappy ford teck (they really are behind jap and euro, HP per L) and still expect to get 150,000 mile min.

and whats with the 6.2? why not a 7.5 or a 8+, just take the drive train out of a F650 and clam to be the winner....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Toyota just gotta cut the crap already and bring out a diesel Tundra! As great as the 5.7 is, they really need to introduce a light-duty diesel.

Everybody (me included) has been clamoring for them, where the hell are they? :mad:

With all the crap surrounding the whole Toyota corporation nowadays they need something like this to give them a boost in the right direction.

·
Registered
754 Posts
RUMOR MILL FROM A TOYOTA ENGINEER: "They (we) wont release the diesel Hino/toyota tundra 6.2L until we can find a place to relocate the Air Injection Pumps. We are having trouble right now with the 2nd gen and wont do a recall unless it hurts sales" = end quote
Toyota just gotta cut the crap already and bring out a diesel Tundra! As great as the 5.7 is, they really need to introduce a light-duty diesel.

Everybody (me included) has been clamoring for them, where the hell are they? :mad:

With all the crap surrounding the whole Toyota corporation nowadays they need something like this to give them a boost in the right direction.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts