Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Horn Mystery.... Tun 2006 AC

While looking at my grill for a possible upgrade I noticed that each of the horns have a metal strip (clipped) covering each mouth. Does not look like its keeping anything out so Im not sure what their purpose are.

Thanks,
Nylo

·
Registered
189 Posts
Not sure what you are talking about. Are the horns metal or plastic?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what you are talking about. Are the horns metal or plastic?
The horns them selfs are plastic but the clips that cover the horn mouthes are metal. They snap on with about an 1/4" gap from the mouth rim.

I took them off thinking they would be louder but maybe they are there for a reason.

Nylo

·
Registered
29 Posts
Depending on where you're reading about it, they're either to keep water out or to keep the sound below a certain decible level when leaving the factory.

A few years back someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about said federal regs specified a max level on factory horns and the clips kept the Tundra horn under the spec.

Either way your horn is louder and has a better sound without them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few years back someone who sounded like they knew what they were talking about said federal regs specified a max level on factory horns and the clips kept the Tundra horn under the spec.

Either way your horn is louder and has a better sound without them.
Interesting. Anyway I have removed them though Im not sure its any louder. Thanks for the info.

Nylo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts