Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn People. In novenber of last year i saw that my temp control know would not go all the way to the cold possion. I didnt really care to much and kinda forgot about it seeing as though it was super cold this year in Colorado. Now that it is heating up I want to move the knob to the cold possision but its almost as if it is spring loaded, for it will go all the way to the cold setting ant then just jump back one fith of the way to the hot side or clockwise. It does make the air comming out little warmer and would lke to fix this before the temps get up there. I did read on here and it all seemed like a freezing problem but i dove my truck a couple days in 70 deg weather with no change to the problem/

Please guys any help will be great.

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Check under the hood where the cable goes through the firewall I seem to remember something about a clip coming loose in that location. I'm away from my truck right now, hope this helps.
Boxer

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check that as soon as I get back to the park and ride. (-:

Thaks

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Has the knob been pulled off in the past? If so, it may not have been aligned properly when put back on.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has been pulled off numerous time but I always make sure to line the notches up properly... )=:

·
Registered
917 Posts
The temp runs on a track IIRC you have to rmove the assy to put it back. I had it happen on my taco.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi,this might help!? i hope!
also if you have 2 push button switches below the knob. try this:
1 says outside/inside air or something like that.
next to it to the right is the a/c button.

if you have both on, & the green dot lights are lit, than you should be able to go to the end.
i had that issue, until i figured it out.

if that isn't it than line up the knob, like other's said.
give it a look.
good luck,
gorilla

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Then pull it off again and see if you can make it cold by carefully turning the stem w/ needle nose. That'll confirm whether or not you have a linkage/cable problem.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I had this issue when my truck was new but it eased off (cured) on its own.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Sounds like the heater valve is sticking. Unhook the cable from the valve and turn the knob. If it turns freely, the cable is fine. Try to open and close the valve by hand. You may be able to free it up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Mine has one more 'click' counter-clock wise after it stops on the cold side. I have to turn the temp control a little more and it 'clicks' into the ultra-cold notch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
alot of first gen tundras do this, high up on the firewall you will see the heater control valve, smaller coolant hoses going into and out of it... sometimes they will begin to stick, spray it with some lube

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for all you guys's input and it took a lot of trouble shooting for me to figure out what the hell was going on and eventually after lying in very awkward positions and almost sticking my head in under the dash i noticed the heater control cable was bent tight where it connects to the little white ratchet type control unit the knob connects to. (wow some serious technical terms here) I unhooked it from its seating position straightened it and voilà! it is as good as new!!! Someone must have forced it while it was frozen up or something.

Jonny5, i was reading you post but could not remember a single thing you said!!! I must have been distracted by that pretty pic you have on there....

All jokes a side. Thank you for all your contributions I certainly appreciated it....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts