Toyota Tundra Forums banner

461 - 480 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Got a 2001 4.7L with 197K on it (170K of those are my miles) with JBA headers but everything else is stock and aging quickly at this point.......I had a small hole repaired last year as it was puking exhaust gases out the side by the passenger door.....now I got another leaks somewhere else.......it's time......

So.....I guess I want what the average guy wants.....some more throttle response is nice, some additional power if it is there but to me, I don't really give a crap about the sound necessarily as long as it doesn't drone like mad. If I want exhaust sound I drive my diesel......that being said I put a lot of highway miles on this truck and drone would really drive me nutts at the 65-75mph highway speeds.

Do I go 2.5" singles like a JBA or Gibson setup or what?

Just looking for a gentle nudge in the right direction......help me spend money...... :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
give me a call. I make several great systems that will compliment your headers;)

duals, single, catted, non catted, etc.

Keith 760-877-4234
Sounds like a plan......thanks

·
5,061 Posts
Hi Keith
I was curious if you still produced this setup. i checked your website but didnt see it advertised anywhere. If you can you send me a PM thanks in advance!
Are you afraid to call him on the phone? He posts his number on this forum and every bathroom wall this side of Shanghai. In fact, he posted his number (again) just three posts up the page from here.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Called Keith yesterday and ordered up a bolt on kit for my 2001.......can't wait for it to come in and begin battle with the rusty bolts.

As many have already said, I urge anyone with exhaust needs to at least contact Keith, so far he seems like a great guy to deal with.

Steve

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #472
Called Keith yesterday and ordered up a bolt on kit for my 2001.......can't wait for it to come in and begin battle with the rusty bolts.

As many have already said, I urge anyone with exhaust needs to at least contact Keith, so far he seems like a great guy to deal with.

Steve
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The best way to improve on our exhaust system (2000 Tundra) is to cut out the stock resonator and muffler, replace with a properly sized absorption type muffler, then run 2.5" tubing from muffler to stock tail pipe section. It just happens to also be the most cost effective as well.
I am trying my best to follow this thread:) The above post caught my eye...Sooooo...this set up (w/ stock or shorty EM) will give the 2000-2002 user zero drone, a nice grumble, nothing crazy loud, especially cruising on highway, and remain efficient and pass a standard emissions test, all without a CEL alarm?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 2002 Tundra with 4.7 motor. After installing a muffler and pipe added all the way back from the Y pipe I found this site.

The shop said a 3" pipe was the way to go so I said okay. Well it's a dog now.

I asked the shop about fixing the fact that its a dog and he suggested putting what sounds like a reducer, kind of like a mini funnel in the pipe right after the connection at the Y.

Does this sound legit or should I request a 2 1/2" be installed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
That is not legit. Shops do not know Tundras, so you have to tell them. See the quote referenced in the post directly before yours.

I recently purchased a 2002 Tundra with 4.7 motor. After installing a muffler and pipe added all the way back from the Y pipe I found this site.

The shop said a 3" pipe was the way to go so I said okay. Well it's a dog now.

I asked the shop about fixing the fact that its a dog and he suggested putting what sounds like a reducer, kind of like a mini funnel in the pipe right after the connection at the Y.

Does this sound legit or should I request a 2 1/2" be installed?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
983 Posts
Yes. The grumble increased noticeably more after I had headers installed. And mine is just a 3.4L!

I am trying my best to follow this thread:) The above post caught my eye...Sooooo...this set up (w/ stock or shorty EM) will give the 2000-2002 user zero drone, a nice grumble, nothing crazy loud, especially cruising on highway, and remain efficient and pass a standard emissions test, all without a CEL alarm?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is not legit. Shops do not know Tundras, so you have to tell them. See the quote referenced in the post directly before yours.
Now the shop is telling me that he will change the pipe from the "Y" to the muffler from 3" to 2 1/2" and keep the rear section of pipe still at 3". Is this okay? The muffler has 3" inlet and outlet so is going from the 2 1/2" to 3" on the muffler okay. What if he does this and I convince him to also put a 2 1/2" on the outlet, is using a muffler that has the 3" inlet and outlet on both sides okay while reducing the pipe entering and exiting it to 2 1/2"?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Keith,
I've looked for advice on adding a flow through muffler mod to my '03 3.4 V6 Longbed Reg Cab Tundra to recover whatever performance is lost with the stock muffler. Seems like everything is geared for the V8's.

I like the idea of a single exit pipe in front of the rear wheel and keeping everything intact upstream - can't afford more, don't want to putz with emissions or computer issues. Unless this does any good, it may not be worth it. So, does this idea have an upside (torque or throttle response) or will I see little or nothing come from it? Don't want any noise or drone, just some punch wherever it will come in - on traffic or at speed!

Love your tech discussions - wish I was a richer Tundra owner who could maximize my ride!

461 - 480 of 505 Posts