Toyota Tundra Forums banner

481 - 500 of 505 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #481
I've found absolutely no benefit to removing emissions equipment on a Tundra!! Over the years I've tested a ton of variables, and cats actually HELP with power in some cases. But I've never seen cats take power, especially on a truck with stock exhaust manifolds.

Almost every modern day vehicle will see a small gain by removing the muffler and installing something that is a flow thru design in it's place. Extensive testing has proven that on almost every vehicle modern day, the muffler is the most restrictive part.

A flow thru muffler will just about always make a little more noise than stock. It's a matter of is the sound loud enough to penetrate the cab, and what frequency do you hear?

On my v8 systems I've gone thru and eliminated the annoying frequencies, and can dial in the exact sound level that you're looking for. For a v6, I've not quite refined my studies as much, so I tend to recommend muffler sizing more on the conservative side.

give a call with any questions.

Keith 760-877-4234

·
Registered
20 Posts
finally pulled the trigger and ordered up my muffler and Helmholtz from dirtydeeds.. aka the muffler king at least on tundra's as far as I'm concerned. my truck is a 03 with jba headers a k&n drop in filter other little goodies but this will by far be the best mod. I will get some before and after pic's video. If you have a tundra and if your on this site you likely do, don't waste any time looking or guessing just call keith and do it. I wish I had done this 3 years ago when I first heard of him. Just sitting, waiting to hear that fed-ex is here..I'll post as soon as its done..

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #483
finally pulled the trigger and ordered up my muffler and Helmholtz from dirtydeeds.. aka the muffler king at least on tundra's as far as I'm concerned. my truck is a 03 with jba headers a k&n drop in filter other little goodies but this will by far be the best mod. I will get some before and after pic's video. If you have a tundra and if your on this site you likely do, don't waste any time looking or guessing just call keith and do it. I wish I had done this 3 years ago when I first heard of him. Just sitting, waiting to hear that fed-ex is here..I'll post as soon as its done..
Thanks for posting. And thanks for the order. If you have any questions give me a call. 760-877-4234

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys.
First post ever, but I think I've narrowed down my noob ask by almost burning out the search function. :grin2:
I apologize in advance for the length, but I've been trying to figure this out for months.
I'm hoping escondidotundra keeps an eye out on this thread and will chime in.

Backstory:
I bought a 2003 Tundra Limited access cab 4.7l with only 120k on it last Sept.
It came with a full K&N cold air intake (Which I don't really like) and a Banks Power exhaust (which the wife didn't like).
So pretty much first thing, I replaced the exhaust with a Walker Quiet Flow SS cat back to get the sound levels back to stock. The Banks Power in addition to being a bit too loud also droned like mad at around 1800-2000 RPMs.
A week or so after quieting the exhaust I started to become aware of a buzzy vibration in the gas pedal and the floorboard at almost exactly 1500 RPM's.
Happens in any gear at any speed. Loudest in fourth at about 40-45. But if I kick the OD off I can hear it in third too. If I'm real careful with the throttle I can also hear it in first and second although not as loud, and always at 1500 RPM.
Trans locks up fine, and at 1400 is so smooth and quiet. Same for 2000 RPM.
Trans shifts beautifully with no flare, slip or clunkiing.

After doing extensive searches here on the board, I thought maybe it was suspension or driveline related. So here's what happened after that:

Removed pre-existing spacer lift for Bilstien 5100's on the next to lowest setting (one notch up from stock height .65" lift?)
New steering rack bushings
Flushed steering system
New sway bar bushings
New sway bar end links
New upper and lower ball joints
New tie rod ends
New carrier bearing
New u-joints in driveshaft
New brakes up front (pads and rotors)
Full flush on trans (by me) with Mobil One synth (thanks again forum)
Replaced driver side Front diff needle bearing with ECGS bushing
Replaced driver side CV axle with new
New spark plugs (stock brand)
2 new coils
Cleaned throttle body
Full alignment by my local Toyota dealer

Absolutely no change whatsoever to buzz in gas pedal at 1500 RPM's.
So now I'm back to thinking its exhaust. I assumed with a stock-like exhaust (walker) it wouldn't resonate or drone like a freer flowing aftermarket cat back.
So that's where I am now, unless the trans is ready to blow up, but she shifts super smooth and no slipping. Even better after the Mobil 1 Flush.

In burning out the search function I've found probably 20 other guys on the forum asking about almost the exact same symptoms as me, but not a single definitive resolution. Thats why all the shooting in the dark and throwing parts at her.

To try and isolate the drone/buzz I downloaded a Real Time Analyzer for my iphone.
Found out that the buzz at its worst is at just about 100HZ and sometimes over 80DB! as the RPM's transition from ~1550-1750 the drone shifts over to 125HZ.
Heres a pic of the 100hz drone:

And then as the RPMs increase the 100Hz settles and the 125Hz increases, although not as much as the 100 Hz:

Whats interesting is, with using the Real Time Analyzer I can see the drone in the graph while throttling up with the truck in Park. Not as high decibel-wise, basically cant really hear or feel the buzz (Maybe a little bit) but I can sure see it on the graph.
Also when its really cold out ~20 degrees or lower the buzz/drone is much less (Even after the truck warms up). Not sure that's relevant but I thought it was interesting.

So my basic question is: what the hell is wrong with my exhaust!?
Bad cat? Bad stock resonator? The walker Quiet Flow is a POS?
The buzz is so loud and drone-y its driving me nuts.
My commute to work is pretty much back roads (I live on Cape Cod) at 40MPH
Its driving me insane!

Can I slap a Helmholtz on it and be done with it?
According to my calculations I would need a Helmholtz 33" long to counteract a drone at 1500 RPM's.
That seems excessive no?
I'm looking for a stock 03-04 air box to get rid of the K&N but the junkyards here on Cape Cod are far and few between.
Ill have to order one from a yard somewhere on the mainland and have it shipped, I guess.
Not sure that will change anything, but it sure seems like it could be a related dynamic?

Any advice would be great!
Again sorry for the long ramble...

Zachary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys.
First post ever, but I think I've narrowed down my noob ask by almost burning out the search function. :grin2:
I apologize in advance for the length, but I've been trying to figure this out for months.
I'm hoping escondidotundra keeps an eye out on this thread and will chime in.

Backstory:
I bought a 2003 Tundra Limited access cab 4.7l with only 120k on it last Sept.
It came with a full K&N cold air intake (Which I don't really like) and a Banks Power exhaust (which the wife didn't like).
So pretty much first thing, I replaced the exhaust with a Walker Quiet Flow SS cat back to get the sound levels back to stock. The Banks Power in addition to being a bit too loud also droned like mad at around 1800-2000 RPMs.
A week or so after quieting the exhaust I started to become aware of a buzzy vibration in the gas pedal and the floorboard at almost exactly 1500 RPM's.
Happens in any gear at any speed. Loudest in fourth at about 40-45. But if I kick the OD off I can hear it in third too. If I'm real careful with the throttle I can also hear it in first and second although not as loud, and always at 1500 RPM.
Trans locks up fine, and at 1400 is so smooth and quiet. Same for 2000 RPM.
Trans shifts beautifully with no flare, slip or clunkiing.

After doing extensive searches here on the board, I thought maybe it was suspension or driveline related. So here's what happened after that:

Removed pre-existing spacer lift for Bilstien 5100's on the next to lowest setting (one notch up from stock height .65" lift?)
New steering rack bushings
Flushed steering system
New sway bar bushings
New sway bar end links
New upper and lower ball joints
New tie rod ends
New carrier bearing
New u-joints in driveshaft
New brakes up front (pads and rotors)
Full flush on trans (by me) with Mobil One synth (thanks again forum)
Replaced driver side Front diff needle bearing with ECGS bushing
Replaced driver side CV axle with new
New spark plugs (stock brand)
2 new coils
Cleaned throttle body
Full alignment by my local Toyota dealer

Absolutely no change whatsoever to buzz in gas pedal at 1500 RPM's.
So now I'm back to thinking its exhaust. I assumed with a stock-like exhaust (walker) it wouldn't resonate or drone like a freer flowing aftermarket cat back.
So that's where I am now, unless the trans is ready to blow up, but she shifts super smooth and no slipping. Even better after the Mobil 1 Flush.

In burning out the search function I've found probably 20 other guys on the forum asking about almost the exact same symptoms as me, but not a single definitive resolution. Thats why all the shooting in the dark and throwing parts at her.

To try and isolate the drone/buzz I downloaded a Real Time Analyzer for my iphone.
Found out that the buzz at its worst is at just about 100HZ and sometimes over 80DB! as the RPM's transition from ~1550-1750 the drone shifts over to 125HZ.
Heres a pic of the 100hz drone:

And then as the RPMs increase the 100Hz settles and the 125Hz increases, although not as much as the 100 Hz:

Whats interesting is, with using the Real Time Analyzer I can see the drone in the graph while throttling up with the truck in Park. Not as high decibel-wise, basically cant really hear or feel the buzz (Maybe a little bit) but I can sure see it on the graph.
Also when its really cold out ~20 degrees or lower the buzz/drone is much less (Even after the truck warms up). Not sure that's relevant but I thought it was interesting.

So my basic question is: what the hell is wrong with my exhaust!?
Bad cat? Bad stock resonator? The walker Quiet Flow is a POS?
The buzz is so loud and drone-y its driving me nuts.
My commute to work is pretty much back roads (I live on Cape Cod) at 40MPH
Its driving me insane!

Can I slap a Helmholtz on it and be done with it?
According to my calculations I would need a Helmholtz 33" long to counteract a drone at 1500 RPM's.
That seems excessive no?
I'm looking for a stock 03-04 air box to get rid of the K&N but the junkyards here on Cape Cod are far and few between.
Ill have to order one from a yard somewhere on the mainland and have it shipped, I guess.
Not sure that will change anything, but it sure seems like it could be a related dynamic?

Any advice would be great!
Again sorry for the long ramble...

Zachary
I'm going to say its your CAI intake, I have DT headers CAI and an 8in dynomax race bullet good note loud but not anywhere too loud, out of of all of those the CAI gave me waayy more cabin noise than the exhaust, try finding a cheap stock airbox and slap it on see if it changes any resonance

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I third that. I had a magnablow on my old truck along with an AFE cai. It was loud and droned like hell so bad you couldn't even carry on a conversation. Just before I traded it in I pulled off the cai and put the stock box back on. I didn't have the stock exhaust so I had to leave the magnablow on. Wow, I could not believe how bad the drone was and I guess I had just gotten used to it. No way I would have guessed that an intake could make such horrible drone. It probably wouldn't do that on its own but the combo of that and the exhaust was not cool.
You might have better luck posting a wanted thread on here or other Tundra forums to find a used stock air box. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Take off the cai and hit us back up on this thread.

Hey, thanks guys.

The CAI is definitely on my radar.
Heading off Cape this weekend, might see if I can find a salvage yard that's open and has a junker 03 or 04 and get myself a stock airbox.
The K&N CAI definitely is loud in the engine compartment with all its whistling and air sucking, be really interesting to see how it affects the exhaust noise.
Drone is so buzzy and bad under my feet that I'm always trying to drive above it closer to 1850-2000 RPM's, which is killing my fuel mileage. :frown:
Thanks again, I'll report back after I score some stock parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Take off the cai and hit us back up on this thread.
UPDATE:

So I was able to get a stock '03 airbox and ducting from Patterson Auto Wreckers in Patterson PA.
They shipped it to me here on the Cape after I struck out at two yards north and south of Boston.

Got the K&N removed and the stock parts reinstalled, and after a quick drive last night (about 4 miles each way) the buzz/drone at 1500 is still there but now its kind of muted.
Not a lot, maybe 10%? But definitely still there.

The K&N sucking noise is gone, which is kind of nice, and the Walker exhaust sounds pretty much the same as it did before during normal driving.
Just still get that vibration buzz/drone in the floor and gas pedal at approx 1500-1800 in all gears at any speed.
I didn't fire up the RTA to see if the HZ shifted with the stock airbox, sounded about the same just a little more muffled as I said earlier.

Escondidotundra, any recommendations?
Bolt on a 33" Helmholtz somewhere? Is there even room for that under there?
Any other tests I should try? Maybe the stock resonator is dead? Maybe a bad cat?

Thanks again guys. This site is an awesome treasure trove of Tundra info!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got the K&N removed and the stock parts reinstalled, and after a quick drive last night (about 4 miles each way) the buzz/drone at 1500 is still there but now its kind of muted.
Sidenote:
Ran the Real Time Analyzer on the way home today, and the buzz/drone is definitely quieter by about 10%.
Tops out at approx 70db whereas before the buzz/drone was 80db+.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
UPDATE:

So I was able to get a stock '03 airbox and ducting from Patterson Auto Wreckers in Patterson PA.
They shipped it to me here on the Cape after I struck out at two yards north and south of Boston.

The K&N sucking noise is gone, which is kind of nice, and the Walker exhaust sounds pretty much the same as it did before during normal driving.
Just still get that vibration buzz/drone in the floor and gas pedal at approx 1500-1800 in all gears at any speed.
I didn't fire up the RTA to see if the HZ shifted with the stock airbox, sounded about the same just a little more muffled as I said earlier.

Escondidotundra, any recommendations?
Bolt on a 33" Helmholtz somewhere? Is there even room for that under there?
Any other tests I should try? Maybe the stock resonator is dead? Maybe a bad cat?

Thanks again guys. This site is an awesome treasure trove of Tundra info!
Weld a glass pack in after the cats - that's what I did to solve drone.

·
Premium Member
7,922 Posts
Did you remove the stock resonator and put the glass pack in that location?
I was wondering if my stock resonator might not be fooked...
Yes that is exactly what I did - sorry I was not more specific. The longer the glass pack the better both in terms of canceling out drone and giving a nice deep rich exhaust tone as opposed to a ratty tone.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #494
Just an update. We finally have an affordable cost effective high quality long tube available for our trucks. These are ceramic coated. Stainless steel. They have a v band collector. And bamufflers will be manufacturing mid pipes and racing catback to compliment them. Call for details. 760-877-4234

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
After a year I finally installed my long tube headers and full exhaust the rest of the way back from escondidotundra on my '00 Tundra w/the 4.7l V8. Went with a Flow Master 40series muffler, definitely loud but I like it. The increase in power was incredible. Thanks Keith

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been searching with no end so I'm finally breaking down and asking anywhere I can get a real answer.

I have 04 DC 4.7 that's Performance-wise stock (195k miles). It's the TRD Sr5 and my stock exhaust is falling apart. I'd like to put true dual borlas on it with an 'x' pipe to help with backpressure/drone.

My plan is to buy the mufflers, tips and get the pipe bent at a local shop to try and save as much $$ as possible. I'm not planning on doing anything with the headers. (at least for now)

With all that being said, has anyone had issues running this setup? My hearts set on borlas but I'm open to suggestions.

Can I use an OE Y pipe? Can I use OE cats and resonators without drone or back pressure issues?

She's a good girl, and I want to treat her right.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #500
An x pipe implies that you’re going to run dual exhaust. And asking to reuse the stock y pipe implies you’re using a single exhaust.

You’ll want to use a single exhaust if you’re running the stock exhaust manifolds.

Please feel free to give a call. I’m happy to help engineer the perfect exhaust system for your situation.

Keith 760-877-4234

481 - 500 of 505 Posts