Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about that time... Time to drag race my supercharged Tundra! It's an '08, 4x4, 5.7, double cab, regular bed, with tow package. I'll be going to the drag strip a week from today, and I'm looking for some input on how best to go about launching - and what to do about the nannies. I've been practicing my launches, and thus far here is what I've been doing:

I am not using 4wd - I'm holding the brake and giving just a bit of gas to bump the revs up a bit (1300ish) and load the tranny. Then I drop the brake and begin giving more and more throttle until I've got it pinned. I'm having to feather the throttle and guess how much traction I think I have and today was the first time I was full throttle for the shift to 2nd gear.

As for the nannies, I'm pressing the nanny button once, then pressing and holding it for 3 seconds. I think this means VSC is off and A-LSD is on. I assume the LSD a good thing to have activated for a drag launch? Should I do something different?

I'm running the OEM Michelins on the OEM 18" alloys.

Here's a clip from an undisclosed location of my 0-90 run just a few days after getting the supercharger installed (you can hear me finally floor the throttle about 4900 rpm in 2nd gear):
Supercharged Tundra, 0-90mph on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Not sure what tires you are running but lowering the PSI a lot helped me with traction at the drags. Had my KO's at 60psi and cutting them to 30psi chopped a second off my ET. Went from 16 second 1/4 to 15 lol. Also don't just stomp it off the line...quickly ease into the throttle.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what tires you are running but lowering the PSI a lot helped me with traction at the drags. Had my KO's at 60psi and cutting them to 30psi chopped a second off my ET. Went from 16 second 1/4 to 15 lol. Also don't just stomp it off the line...quickly ease into the throttle.
Just updated my original post. I'll be on the OEM Michelins with OEM 18" alloys.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I hate my tires at the drag strip. I run about a low 15 in 2wd on the 1/4 mile. Then in 4hi I run 14.5s in the quarter mile. Traction is the biggest problem so you are just going to have to practice on the throttle situation as you leave the line. Good Luck to Ya

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Just updated my original post. I'll be on the OEM Michelins with OEM 18" alloys.
Cool...You could probably lower those several psi and gain some traction...Also try to get a good burnout and heat em up a bit. I personally turned off the LSD and all the nannies. Did the 3 sec hold for my runs. That way nothing interferes with throttle control.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
My Tundra isn't supercharged so I am still jealous. We have good luck with the street cars if we slowly get on it then at about half throttle lay into it like no tomorrow.

Nice shatto with the video.

Points sent.

·
Registered
357 Posts
TRAC BITE helped me out too. Just spray some on your tires before your burnout.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
The ALSD mode with all other nannies off (single three second press) definitely helps for dragstrip launches as it emulates a limited slip nicely. It will chop power if you are turning corners though, which is of course not an issue at the track.

I also agree with the chemical suggestion above. I have tried it and although it does work, but it will not last long on normal street tires. You might even have to reapply before each pass, which the starters may not appreciate.

·
Registered
630 Posts
For me with street tire I never could get traction but the best way for me was to feather it just like you said and not get to eager to put your foot down all the way, with all nannies off with street tires.

·
Registered
422 Posts
put it in 4-Lo.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate my tires at the drag strip. I run about a low 15 in 2wd on the 1/4 mile. Then in 4hi I run 14.5s in the quarter mile. Traction is the biggest problem so you are just going to have to practice on the throttle situation as you leave the line. Good Luck to Ya
Thanks! Aren't you concerned about damaging your transfer case by launching in 4wd?
Cool...You could probably lower those several psi and gain some traction...Also try to get a good burnout and heat em up a bit. I personally turned off the LSD and all the nannies. Did the 3 sec hold for my runs. That way nothing interferes with throttle control.
I'll definitely try lowering them (just have to remember to bring an air pump for raising them afterward!), but I'm not going to do a big burnout. I will probably just spin the tires briefly to clean them off, but my understanding is street tires become slick when you heat them too much.
My Tundra isn't supercharged so I am still jealous. We have good luck with the street cars if we slowly get on it then at about half throttle lay into it like no tomorrow.

Nice shatto with the video.

Points sent.
Thanks. I'm feeling pretty confident about my throttle control, and was able to do WOT through all of second gear today without losing traction.

TRAC BITE helped me out too. Just spray some on your tires before your burnout.
Where do I pick that up?
The ALSD mode with all other nannies off (single three second press) definitely helps for dragstrip launches as it emulates a limited slip nicely. It will chop power if you are turning corners though, which is of course not an issue at the track.

I also agree with the chemical suggestion above. I have tried it and although it does work, but it will not last long on normal street tires. You might even have to reapply before each pass, which the starters may not appreciate.
Good to know I've got the nannies figured out. Do you know where I can get some Trac Bite/VHT?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For me with street tire I never could get traction but the best way for me was to feather it just like you said and not get to eager to put your foot down all the way, with all nannies off with street tires.
Thanks.
put it in 4-Lo.
LOL I could probably spin all 4 wheels if I did that and then hammered it from a stand still!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I think I might of guessed your time wrong!!!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I might of guessed your time wrong!!!
Why?
just put that thing in 4wd and walk away from the competition.it's not as if you did it all day long.a few passes aren't going to hurt anything.
550 pound feet is a lot of torque for a chain to handle!! It only took one picture of a grenaded transfer case to convince me 4wd has no use on dry pavement.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I checked some SCer runs and seen how low they were.

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
just shorten your rear end and put a mini tub or like 14.00 wides back there or just buy two cheater slicks and throw them back there on crap rims so you can drive to the track

1 - 20 of 48 Posts