Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my tundra used, looking to hook up a brake controller, no idea if i have the "towing package" or not. :confused:

·
Lifetime Member
241 Posts
I beleive that 2003 was the first year that provided the factory wiring for the electric trailer brake controller, I think that's what you are asking.

Do you have 7 pin round (RV style) connector mounted to the left of the hitch receiver? If you don't have that, you definetly don't have the wiring form there to the driver's side kick panel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i only have a 4 pin connector. :(

Looks like it's going to be a pain to hook up the 7 pin connector and the brake controller. :td:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Check to see if you have a transmission cooler. It is a square, black looking object that will be in-front of the radiator. If you do, then you have the tow package for the 00-02 Tundras.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
Check to see if you have a transmission cooler. It is a square, black looking object that will be in-front of the radiator. If you do, then you have the tow package for the 00-02 Tundras.
Err, um, nope, not a good indicator. All '00-'02 Tundras had the external tranny cooler...whether or not they also had what passed for a tow package in those model years. It wasn't until the '03 models that that only the ones with the tow package got the external tranny cooler. But the '03 and newer with the tow package also got the 7 pin connector at the hitch.

If Sigr6 has an '02 or older with a 4 pin connector, he may very well have what Toyota sold as the tow package on his model. But that still doesn't do him any good for towing a trailer that requires a functioning 7 pin connector (complete with brake wire and possibly 12V power wire)...he will indeed have to do the extra wiring for these functions himself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts