Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may have been brought up before but I couldn't find anything recent.

What were the deciding factors between 4x4 and 4x2 for you? I would really like to get 4x4 but the additional cost and additional fuel cost is a lot to pay for peace of mind or any "what if scenario"...

:ts:

·
Registered
35 Posts
It was a no-brainer for us. We live on a dirt road and when it rains we have to have 4x4 to get in and out. A 4x2 wasn't an option, at least not until the county gets us some rock on the road. Id look at how many times in the last year you really needed it and is the extra cost worth it? We get a big snow (maybe 4 to 6 inches, so not that big) mabye once or twice a year so it helps in that reguard too. It all depends on where you live I guess. If I lived in town, no, I wouldn't spend the extra. I'd just stay home another day after a snow until the roads cleared. The 4x2 folks that think they can just go go go no matter what the weather make it dangerous for everyone.....but good for my father's wrecker business.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
lol, I actually think someone posted this yesterday. But for me going with 4x2 was an easy choice. I live in Florida and there is no snow here, and I wouldnt think of taking a truck like this down a narrow wooded trail with risks of scratching. With the ALS it pulls my 18' boat out a saltwater ramp with ease. The gas milage is better and they both sit at right about the same height anyway.

If you really dont need it its alot to spend for only using it once or twice a year in a warm, flat climate.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've always chosen 4x2 based off price. I live in Kansas so there's a few days of the years it would come in handy, but I can still get around without it. I just have a hard time paying that extra amount for something I never use, but if I was rich I'd have it :rolleyes:

I guess the day I HAVE to have it and don't, I'll change my mind. That day hasn't gotten here yet. The one thing that almost had me going for it this time, was everyone around here that likes my pickup for sale won't buy a 4x2. :cool:

·
Registered
435 Posts
I know this may have been brought up before but I couldn't find anything recent.

What were the deciding factors between 4x4 and 4x2 for you? I would really like to get 4x4 but the additional cost and additional fuel cost is a lot to pay for peace of mind or any "what if scenario"...

For me, it was a no-brainer too. I use my truck as a daily transportation vehicle and it's mostly urban driving to work and back home. I got a CrewMax because I need family hauling more than I need cargo hauling. But I need a truck (something with a bed on it) to take care of those weekend chores. I don't do any off-roading other than hunting, and even then I'm pretty much on a gravel or dirt road, which is no problem for a 2-wheel drive. I would put it in 4-wheel drive maybe once a year and even then probably no more than 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
699 Posts
4x4 all the way! I live where we get alot of snow! sometimes over a foot in one shot. I pull a 27' boat sometimes I need it to pull out of those slippery ramps, I atv and snowmobile so you just never know where you need to pull them out of the mud or snow. I dont hunt yet but I'm thinking of getting into it so 4x4 all the way. It should be an easy decsion for most people if you have owned a truck before, I owned on two wheel drive truck and sold it 2 months later.

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I absolutely agree. You go anywhere you might get stuck you get the 4X4. You should know, one way or the other, by now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had no choice but to get 4WD. We have over 35 miles miles of road on our ranch, and we require 4WD to be used 12 months of the year. About 1/3 of my total miles are in 4WD.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Up here in eastern Washington a 4x4 is about all you can get. I haven't seen any 4x2's available at any of the dealers here.

Jim

·
Registered
595 Posts
It depends on your needs and your wants. We tow a trailer off road a couple times a month. We may "need" 4x4 once or twice a year, but it's nice to have when you don't want to get stuck towing a trailer. It costs more up front but you get most of that back come resale time. You won't get back the extra money you spent on gas though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The only time I would use 4x4 would be on the beach when we go fishing. I kind of want the 4 wheel drive, but its not worth the extra cost, plus the gas mileage hit you get when you will use it less than 1% of the time you drive your truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
We go to the mountains during ski season - it just makes it a little easier to drive on the packed snow in the passes.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
I have property in Utah that takes 18 miles of dirt road to get to. Any rain or melting snow, and it is slicker that snot. But, I can pick and choose when I go up to the property, so I am thinking maybe looking at 4x2. Although, like others have said, 4x4 is there when you need it. I will make a 'game time' decison based on what my local dealers can get in for inventory. 4x4's are hard to find right now in the Southern Nevada area.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Well in my case it just wasn't necessary. And I really don't live by the rule, "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". You either need it or you don't in my humble opinion.

I owned nothing but 4wds from the age of 15 to 43. Why, because they were cool. At the age of 43 I switched to my current 2wd 03 Tundra and have not looked back. I don't go off road, tow a boat, no ice no snow, no hills, no nothing, therefore no need for it.

If you need 4wd or just want it, get it. But in my case and in my case alone it was not necessary and now I do enjoy the extra 1 or 2 mpgs which is nice with the uncertain price of gas from day to day. Not to mention in this day and age of leveling kits, IFS front ends and electronic shift buttons, you can't tell the difference between and 2wd and a 4wd anymore anyway if it is the cool factor you want. But again if you think you need it, get it. But in my case after nearly 5 years with 2wd, I haven't missed 4wd one bit. Good luck in your choice.

Sammy

·
Registered
479 Posts
Where I live,we often have winter storms that make our roads a mess.Add that in with the fact that I drive fields and trails that are often full of snow or are muddy,and the decision to buy a 4x4 was easy.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so around 5:30 today I changed my order from a 4x4 DC Limited to the 4x2....and I've been feeling so bad for the past few hours I just emailed my sales guy and asked him to change it back to the 4x4 model (8352). I'm gonna stick with the 4x4 even though I don't "need" it for any particular reason. Not TOO much more and slightly better re-sale value...why not?

I really hope my salesman doesn't hate me...this is about the 7th time I've changed my order :eek: but I don't think it actually gets processed until mid-month.

Thanks everyone for the advice/input.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yea, I've got 4x4 envy too.
But the wife's Sequoia is 4x4. Comes in handy on Winter cross country trips. Here in the Central Valley of CA, 4x4 is not needed for city life. If we need to make a trip over the mountains in the winter, we will take the Seq.
There, gas and dollars saved (and better towing capacity)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Ok, so around 5:30 today I changed my order from a 4x4 DC Limited to the 4x2....and I've been feeling so bad for the past few hours I just emailed my sales guy and asked him to change it back to the 4x4 model (8352). I'm gonna stick with the 4x4 even though I don't "need" it for any particular reason. Not TOO much more and slightly better re-sale value...why not?

I really hope my salesman doesn't hate me...this is about the 7th time I've changed my order :eek: but I don't think it actually gets processed until mid-month.

Thanks everyone for the advice/input.
It's your money. Who cares what he thinks! He will get a sale and commission either way. That is better than you walking away completely as he would get a big fat goose egg.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It was easy for me. I traded in a 4x4 that got 8-10mpg, had to pull myself up into it, and I never really even used the 4x4.

·
Super Genius
920 Posts
For over 30 years I swore that 90% of truck owners had 4x4 but never needed it and rarely used it. I also felt that most of these people never really needed a truck at all.

Then in 2001 things changed for me. We got a big house with lots of land. It wasn't a ranch and I don't do much outdoor work but a lot of factors added up to change my outlook: frequent delivery charges from Lowes, weekly garbage trips to the dump, occasional snow or ice at home, vacationing up north with lots of ice or snow, driving under heavy rain on slick pavement, helping friends move, moving myself, etc. Eventually I realized that I needed a truck whether I wanted one or not.

We got a 2002 Tacoma 4x2 and I was still of the opinion that 4x4 was a waste of money. I figured the lower price and better MPG made it a no-brainer. Well after running that truck for 5 years I learned more lessons and now I just recently realized that 4x4 is the better choice if you can afford it.

The MPG is not really a factor since you can drive the 4x4 in x2 mode for better fuel economy when desired. The lower price is not that much of a savings over 5-7 years as long as you can afford it. Your resale value is higher and the truck is easier to sell by far. Even if you think you will never need it, as I did for many years, there are going to be at least a few times when you could use it and will wish you had it. Pulling another vehicle or something else out of the mud, driving on snow or ice or heavy rain, driving up a steep driveway or road or other obstacle where some of your wheels are spinning, pulling a boat out of the water on a slippery ramp, etc.

Even after getting my 2007 Tundra DC Limited 4x4 I was wondering if I would really ever use 4x4. Then just a week later I was backing up a steep driveway which had some wet leaves at the top. The rear wheels started to spin despite several passes so normally I would have pulled out and turned around, or given up. In the new truck I just switched to 4-Hi on the dash, pulled down about 30 feet to engage, and backed up as planned with absolutely no spin at all. Then the other night we were caught coming home during some heavy rain. The roads were slick so instead of worrying or going slow as a grandma, I just put it in 4x4 and drove home in confidence at safe but normal speeds.

Yep, no regrets on 4x4 now at all. Every truck I get will be a 4x4 from now on, unless I go broke adding gadgets to the Tundra, in which case I may have to sell it and start looking for a Festiva... :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts