Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a brand new 2004 Tundra access cab sr5, and will take delivery on it tomorrow. I set out yesterday to buy a Chevy Silverado because today more than ever i think its important to support the local and buy ameerican. That being said I bought my truck from a friend who owns 2 dealerships, Toyota and Chevy. And in the back of my mind I wanted the Tundra but did not think i could afford one brand new...low and behold she made me an offer that was too good to pass up on the Toyota. But yesterday when i was telling another someone about the purchase he really made me feel like crap because i did not buy american...what can i say to this arguemnt...how many americans built my truck? :confused:

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Tell them that the Toyota Tundra is made here in the USA by Americans for Americans. Tell him that there are more foreign parts in his Chevy than the Tundra. Tell him that his Chevy could be made in Canada or his Dodge in Mexico. Tell him that he needs to get his facts straight and learn more about our global economy. You can also say that you work very hard for your money and that you demand nothing but the highest quality products.

Tell him that today companies like GM, FORD, Chrysler, and Toyota are really international global companies.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Tell your so called friends you will "buy American" (whatever that is) when the big 3 build quality vehicles.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would say don't come with me if you don't like my TUNDRA!!!

With several well placed expletives!!

But I am not very diplomatic!!! lol

·
mandzach
1,263 Posts
V8 made all the good points but let me add this -

Dont bother explaining yourself to anyone -its your life, your money, your choice. If that dosnt keep them from bothering you then whip out the NADA book and look at resale values for a 3 year old chevy 1500 vs. a 3 year old Tundra -that should settle the debate real fast.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks...all are valid points. I'm not one to ever feel the need to explain myself to anyone...I was more looking to justify it to myself. I plan on putting a small american flag "made in the USA" window sticker on it. Just didn't want to tell someone it was made in the US when it wasn't. Now I just hope I can sleep tonight waiting for my truck to be delivered :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Better resale value, quality vehicle - very dependable, reliable, etc. - built in the USA - other trucks have reliablility issues - also note that Toyota stock trucks are considered amongst the top 4 wheel drive vehicles coming out both stock, and to mod, to that of other vehicles. Good clearance, approach angles, etc. (For instance the Tundra Double Cab 4wd has one of the highest clearances of any truck). You can also note that maybe you like the looks too? Looks play a big role in why people buy somethings too.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
American made!!!

I'd ignore them based on all the prior posts. Your money, your choice. After that I'd grab a map with BIG RED STAR on Princeton Indiana and ask him to explain which "Foreign Country" it's in. I'd also grab a map of Alabama and show where the engines are now made (I think it's Hunstville but search to be sure) and then ask him to do the same thing for his "American" car. Offer to pick him up when he needs a ride as his is in the shop being fixed with a HUGE SMILE on your face (Or maybe not and say your too busy and he should get an "amercan" laoner). Then follow the whole conversation with something like "B!TE ME if you don't like it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You could also tell him that if you did buy a Dodge, Ford, or Chevy/GMC, that you would have to relocate your house closer to a dealership because of the frequent servicing required. Tell him it was so bad you're worried about your domestic courtesy car breaking down too.

If he's adamant, tell him if he's paying, you'll drive any vehicle he wants you to!

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan on saying that the Truck WAS made in the US, and after owning a SAAB, I have made enough phone calls to tow companies and repair shops to last me a life time.(Not to mention having to depend on others for rides) so ford dodge and chevy where not on my list!! :D

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
I'd say jump in and I'll take you for ride in an American built Toyota then tell me what you think.

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
i just laugh it off, joke in a southern accent about my "tie-otie" and then mention that it's built in america, by americans, serviced in america by americans, and built to quality standards that were invented by an american (and used by the japanese b/c ford, dodge and gm were too stupid to give 'em a try).

buy american...buy a tundra :D.

-sean

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,613 Posts
If he's so concerned about buying American, or specifically "North American", he might want to take a look at his cell phone, microwave, car stereo, digital camera, VCR, DVD player, and big screen TV. If he's got a computer, he may want to rip the hard drive out because chances are some of the spindle parts holding his drive platters together are produced a good distance off our fair shores. After he's sat in his living room reading a harlequin romance novel for 20 minutes while the big game is on because he decided to globally boycott everything non-American, he may have a change of heart.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would tell your friend that blindly buying American, just because it's American was part of the problem of American cars being so poorly built in the 70's and 80's. U.S. automakers had no incentive to built quality products until Honda and Toyota, among others, starting selling tons of well built cars over here.
We tend to forget how crappy cars/trucks were in the 70's and 80's, and that Chrysler damn near went under. If it wasn't for people demanding (through their purchasing power) that American makers catch up to the foreign makers, we'd still be driving crappy cars.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Why on earth would you hang around with someone who would make you feel like crap based on how you spend your money? Man, I'd be finding some new friends. That's weak...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Like I said before...most of it is justifying it to myself when we have people overseas dying for this country, and families devistated by the loss of jobs overseas. :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
tm311 said:
Like I said before...most of it is justifying it to myself when we have people overseas dying for this country, and families devistated by the loss of jobs overseas. :cool:
I think you'll find the Japanese & German car makers have brought jobs into the USA and it's the domestic car makers that are exporting jobs.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
tm311 said:
How about you take that a step further. Yes, people are dying overseas for our country. And what does our country represent, and what are they fighting for. Freedom, freedome to chose, to speak, to compete in a world market. It's not any different to allow foriegners into this country, and then higher them for a tax break, or at a lesser wage then an equal US citizen...but companies, and farming industry have been doing it for decades.

The trend to ship jobs out is disturbing, and is hitting home for me, my company is building a 10 million dollar facility in China. These are US, aerospace, good paying jobs that we will not see again. The only way we can help retain these jobs, and compete is to work smarter, and harder. Many Americans and unions have no incentive for this...we have to change.

We also need to make intelligent decisions, and buying a Tundra is surely one of those. If your feeling a need for justification, keep the Tundra, and donate the $2000. you'd pay for lost time, resale value, and additional repairs to a US charity of your choice. This way you keep the superior product, and contribute to the good of your country....and still prob. come out ahead. A win-win. :tu:

BTW....if you want to display where your truck was built...this will help show it off....and this is surely built in the USA...by me! I will assure you you wont find this in China...or anywhere else.

http://www.ppdbillet.com/images/ppd-v8-usa-cover-800.jpg

Kevin

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't forget to mension crash tests!

A guy here at work is a Ford freak, he has a 2001 F-150 and always tells me to sell my "jap-scrap" and buy a good truck...well, one day I reveiled the 40 mph crash results to him proving his "Oh-mighty" Ford is a death trap as it was the worst of all. Dodge is 3'rd, GM2'nd, and the Tundra looks like the only one that is still fixable! Anyway, this guy at work is a little more careful with his wording now :D

I bought the Tundra cause it is the best overall truck for me...and I am a Toyota fan as well :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts