Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched everywhere and can't find any instructions on removing the upper half of the dash of a 2006 Tundra Double Cab. Does anyone know how to do it? I found some screws above the glove box and above the gauges, but the dash won't budge. Please help, thanks!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ouchies! Why do you need to remove the top half of the dash? I assume you mean the bit that faces the windshield, where the defroster vents exit the dash?

I'm not sure how to get at that - I've had everything but that off of my '04 at one point or another. The only thing I would suggest, though, is that you be very very careful around the passenger side airbag!

·
Forum Admin
8,219 Posts
There are a dozen screws and bolts and clips that need to be removed or dislodged to remove the dash. If you give me until this afternoon I can post a diagram of where they all are. Don't have it on me at the moment.

IIRC...
there are a few bolts under the steering column. remove those. remove panel.
clipped in shroud around the tach and speedo gauges. dislodge those. remove shroud.
screws under that shroud. remove those. remove speedo cluster.
screws behind vents in center instrument cluster. remove those.
clipped in center instrument cluster. dislodge those. remove cluster.
remove glove box.
bolts under & over glove box. remove those.
remove ash tray.
bolt(s?) behind ash tray. remove them.

There are probably more, but that's all I can fathom at the moment. Also, this may be excessive (some of the aforementioned may not need to come out). Hey one more idea, try searching for "dash removal" or "instrument panel removal". You may get some pics in the results.

Good luck dude. :tu:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I want to remove it, or at least pry up the passenger side, because there is an XM antenna installed on top of the dash on that side that runs down and behind everything and I need to replace it with a different one since I changed out my headunit.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks guys. I want to remove it, or at least pry up the passenger side, because there is an XM antenna installed on top of the dash on that side that runs down and behind everything and I need to replace it with a different one since I changed out my headunit.
when i ran an antenna for my gps, i pushed the wire between the windshield and the dash... it was invisible. then i ran it down the kick panel.

·
2,875 Posts
Have you considered removing the glove box for access on that side? That is what I did to mount my gps antenna under the dash.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hmm. I mounted my Sirius antenna above the third break light, on the roof. I ran the cable in thru the edge of the lens housing, across the roof above the headliner, down the D pillar and under the carpet to the center console, which is where I mounted the reciever and interface for my Clarion head unit. A ton of work taking all that apart, but it is nice and clean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I need to remove the existing antenna and pulling it up doesn't work, it feels like it's taped in or something. Best Buy installed it a few years ago so I'm not sure what they did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well I need to remove the existing antenna and pulling it up doesn't work, it feels like it's taped in or something. Best Buy installed it a few years ago so I'm not sure what they did.
I've been told by Best Buy installers they also remove equipment that has been installed by Best Buy for free. Like, if you were selling your car and wanted your system in your new car .If you have your recite for the install,it might be worth the trouble to check it out. Good Luck,Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts