Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '02 tundra with unpowered antenna that has come loose. My dealership says I need to remove the right front wheel and wheel well cover to access the underside of the antenna to tighten it. Is there anyway to easily access it without removing the wheel?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an '02 tundra with unpowered antenna that has come loose. My dealership says I need to remove the right front wheel and wheel well cover to access the underside of the antenna to tighten it. Is there anyway to easily access it without removing the wheel?
I just did this over the weekend and didn't need to remove the wheel at all. I replaced the antenna assembly as the previous owner of my truck must have gone through a car wash or something with it; damn thing fell apart when I took it out of the truck.

The part is ~$40 from the dealer. To fully replace it you pull the radio/hvac controls as well as the glove box and passenger side kick panel. I managed to get to the assembly itself by removing the mudflap, trim piece over the wheel well as well as the first 3 clips/screw mounts on the inner wheel well cover. You have to look up and in a bit to see the assembly and have a long arm to get to it, but it can be done. Make sure you buy some extra clip things from the dealer ($0.94/ea at mine) as I am quite sure there is no way to remove them without breaking them.

Here's the instructions I followed (although there are a couple things I did differently that seemed to make the process easier)...
This will take a couple of hours to do, this is what I did;
remove the face plate for the radio head unit( pull the temp knobs and there is screw under them)
Pull head unit out of the mounting tray to acess antenna lead .
Tie a pul wire/string to the antenna lead (fishing line works good)
follow the lead towards the right side fender you will find you need to open glovebox and remove the lead from a retainer clip on top of the glove box (this was installed by a person with micro hands)
pull the lower right foot well kick panel.
turn the steering wheel full left lock.
remove the inner right fender well cover( this is where you will need the extra plastic snap plugs).
now you can pull the lead out to the fender, now remove the collar nut on the antenna base.( use painters tape around the antenna base out to about 2 inches to protect the paint.
now pull the antenna straight up out of the fender complete with the lead.
cut the pull string tie on to new antenna lead and rev. install.
on the install you will have to feed it thuough the inner fender well ,to kick panel and over the glove box one step at a time and do not force it there a lot of sharp structure angles in there and can ruin your day.
It is a tight fit going over the glove box but after that is done you have mastered the hard part.
Tightening the antenna collar to the base is touchy you will need a small wrench #6 or #7 metric and something to hold and turn the collar, I used a snap ring plier with 90 degree tip. You can't use much force or you will break the collar. And yes it will get loose again over time even with Loctite applied to it.
Have fun ( now I rate this in the #3 beer range of difficultly, dealing with inner fenderwell and working the cable in and out is the hardest part).
Hope this helps.
One thing I did that may or may not apply to you is remove the 4 Wheel Drive Computer when you take the kick panel off. Once that is out of the way you can reach right in to the firewall and get your hand to the hole where the antenna feeds through from the assembly that is under the fender. It was just held on with a bolt; just removed that and moved the unit out of the way (didn't even need to unplug it).

Hope this helps!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts