Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 DC XSP and was wanting to get some 6.5 door speakers. I have heard nothing but great things about the Polk Momo mmc6500 and mmc650. I was going to run them with a JL 300/4 and was wondering what you all thought or if anyone has these speakers or amp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got the 6.5 Momo component system and I've yet to hear component speakers that sound better. I think you'll really be impressed by them. I recently changed my amp from a audiobahn to a alpine with a tad bit more power and they really rock. Very impressive all the way around!

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've been told by three different polk salesmen, that the momo line is overrated. Polk is a quality speaker, but with the momo your paying for a designer name.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your help. i looked at Crutchfield to get some idea of what they cost and i thought it was high so i did some searching online and found that i can save about $240 for both sets. would you buy the Momos since that is so much cheaper

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I have not heard their car units but I found Polk home speakers to be more of a classical/softer music speaker. When you listen to rock they tend to sound shrieky with no bass. This was a few years back though.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have MB Quartz in my car and I have yet to hear any other component speakers that comparable to it. :tu:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Polk is a great brand, I like the sound of the MB Quartz or Boston Acoustics better.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have not heard their car units but I found Polk home speakers to be more of a classical/softer music speaker. When you listen to rock they tend to sound shrieky with no bass. This was a few years back though.
Polk home speakers come in junk, mid line, and upper tier. I've got a 7.1 set of RTi/CSi/FXi's and they are a quality speaker. The towers alone weigh 66lbs each. These speakers really cry out for a powerful, high quality amp. If one tries to drive them with a surround receiver, they'll miss the boat and think the speakers are crap. That is true with car speakers as well. The speakers are only as good as the amp and pre amp behind them - especially if they are a demanding speaker with a low spl rating, and difficult resistance (ohm rating).

·
Registered
237 Posts
i think door speakers are overated go get a good sub and and some cheap door speakers so you can hear the treble(and then tell your buddys that the door speakers are nice) and it'll sound 100x better and nobody except people with 3 grand+ systems will be able to tell the difference

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
If you want a real sound upgrade you have to start with the head unit! The source of the music! If it isn't extreamly clear, your just 'changing' the sound with the speaker change. Not nesisarily any better. An amp after a stock head unit is alright, but it's just amplifying unclear sound. You notice the difference when the volume is up.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i think door speakers are overated go get a good sub and and some cheap door speakers so you can hear the treble(and then tell your buddys that the door speakers are nice) and it'll sound 100x better and nobody except people with 3 grand+ systems will be able to tell the difference
Your out of your mind.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Your on the right track by starting with speaker replacement first.
If you're set on the momos I would say get them.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I have a 2006 DC XSP and was wanting to get some 6.5 door speakers. I have heard nothing but great things about the Polk Momo mmc6500 and mmc650. I was going to run them with a JL 300/4 and was wondering what you all thought or if anyone has these speakers or amp.
Not to big a fan of the polks, but they're not all that bad for the money. Really depends on what YOU ultimately like and what sounds good to your ears. Changing the speakers is the right first step towards better sound in your truck along with sound treatment/deadening for the doors.

I personally like the Diamond Audio seperates with the soft dome tweeters - they're very neutral and do very well with all kinds of music. They have a decent amount of low end.

I'm very allergic to nasty sounding treble from tweeters - one word of caution: stay away from anything that doesn't have a seperate adjustable crossover or anything with a metallic dome tweeter.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Like thumbster said: apply sound deadner.
It would be foolish not to do while you've got the door apart.
Put some on the metal door itself, as well as the plastic door panel.
Also tape up any wires/cables that will rattle once you add bass.

·
Registered
83 Posts
stay away from anything that doesn't have a seperate adjustable crossover or anything with a metallic dome tweeter.
This is ignorant, sorry. Saying a metal dome tweeter is bad is plain silly.

I have used countless sets and have found a good metal dome DOES NOT have to be harsh. The best detail/presence and staging come from metal domes.

My last 2 sets were Focal Utopias (Titanium) and currently, SEAS Lotus Reference (aluminum). Nothing will make me go back to soft domes, unless price is an object. For low/mid price sets, then yes, you have a better chance going w/ a soft dome.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got the 6.5 Momo component system and I've yet to hear component speakers that sound better. I think you'll really be impressed by them. I recently changed my amp from a audiobahn to a alpine with a tad bit more power and they really rock. Very impressive all the way around!
Tell me more about your headers. I have the TRD cat back duals and don't want to mess them up. Will these retro fit the TRD's? Thanks

2006 DC
TRD 18" wheels
TRD SS cat backs
XTerrain 275/55's
DeeZee Nerf's
Kolbalt truck box
crappy stock stereo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts