Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I check my air pressure about once a month. Last month the rear passenger side was a few pounds lower than the rest. Then, checked again Saturday, and it was low again. Took a look and there it is, a screw in my tire right between the treads. I swapped for my spare, no big deal.

I'm going to get a tire shop to plug or patch it later when I can, but thought I'd ask you guys how you feel about tire plugging. I myself always felt uneasy about it, had a bad experience once on a heavy work van but that was a bald tire. What do you guys say? Also, is there more than one way to plug a tire?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have plugged tires myself and never had an issue. If you plan to off-road a lot you may want to consider a patch from the inside and this of course is if coinage might be a little tight.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
being in the construction biz, i have plugged tires for lots of years. it's easy to do and i've saved a ton of money. never had a problem. if you are plugging within the tread area, then you should be fine. and while this is a no-no, i even plugged a tire (michelin) right in the middle of the sidewall and drove it another 30k miles once. :td::td: this was not the smartest thing i ever did and i was fortunate to not have had trouble out of that tire again. back then i was bullet proof... or so i thought. i won't do that any more. i carry a plug kit and mini air compressor with me all the time. you just never know when you or someone else might need it. plug in, plug out, plug on!

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I had a plug in a front and rear tire in my wife's Santa Fe. We drove it
another 55K miles without any problems before getting new tires.

John

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I have never had an issue with patching tire's, I usually want at least 3 fingers width from the sidewall. Each shop is usally a lil different in their procedures I know Costco does the two step( plug and patch).

·
Registered
211 Posts
I always use plugs. Never had any problems. Sure beats having to take it to a tire shop to dismount, plug, mount and balance.

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
We patch the 10 ply tires on all our work trucks unless it is in the sidewall, then they get tossed and replaced. i have patched many a tire and am very comfortable on a street or AT tire but will not patch or plug a high speed tire so those of you with Corvettes are safe as you should just replace your tire.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Plugged ~15 tires trough my lifetime. Not a single one has failed. Its all about preparation. Don't do it on wet tire, or if you need two strings to do it. I always let air out completely, clean the hole, put glue in the hole and on the string, wait 5 min then plug, then another 15 minutes, then cut, inflate and "fuged about it".

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have just recently learned how to plug tires, super easy to do and I even used a kit from Wal Mart/Slime. The tires ended up going a lot longer with no issues at all.

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
Patch when you can, plug when you can't.

·
7,925 Posts
I have lost count of the number of times I have had tires plugged. I always seem to pick up nails and screws on job sites or at the dump which are right through the tread. My most recent was a six inch nail through the sidewall of my right rear tire which I am pretty convinced was vandalism. Even the guys at the tire shop said it would have taken a hammer to get the nail in through that location. Now I have to buy four new tires since they are too worn to replace just one.

Getting really tired of having my truck vandalized by cowards.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i always plug my tires with no issues so far. had a slow leak on one after a year, replugged and it's fine now. i can plug and air back up a tire faster than I can jack up my truck and put the spare on.

·
Registered
640 Posts
A good rope plug.......in the tread of several mitchelins.....the plug is HARD to get in , but they stay and hold up good, and "if" done right, they don't leak......I'm out in the sticks , so I have a kit for tractor, lawnmower, atv, and car and truck.......one good kit at Gulf Coast auto will do all but the tears.........I have pluged and driven that tire 40,000 more miles.

As always my .02

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've plugged tires for years. I keep a kit on my work bench. My family was leaving on a shopping trip one Saturday morning and was pulling past me (I was doing something in the yard) down the driveway. I heard the tell tell click click click of something in a tire. I found a nail in a rear tire and had it fixed with a plug and them on their way within minutes. They never even got out of the van. I've got a plug in one of my Michelins right at the tires shoulder with 30,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi, i have heard at 1 time way back when, it was against the law to plug a tire.
so i patched it, due to the fact the gas station wouldn't plug it, only patch.
well i had no plug kit, so i was stuck.
well needless to say the patch fell off & i got a flat.
within a few days.
since than & even before i always plugged my tires.
they lasted longer than the tires.
so i have a few kits. just in case.
i plug clients tires all the time. never once did i ever have a issue.
gorilla

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I plug my tires all the time. I know some tire shops will not plug a tire that already had a plug in it because its a safety issue.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I plug my tires all the time. I know some tire shops will not plug a tire that already had a plug in it because its a safety issue.
yeah, tire shops are funny. seems no two of them have the same policy about plugging tires. some of them won't plug tires if the hole is too close to the sidewall either. safety issues. or increasing revenues. best to have your own plug kit and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts