Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use the garden hose method as in the Haynes Manual or do you just drain and refill the radiator? Seems to me the garden hose water would get contaminates in the system as compared to using distilled water. But you cannot pressurize the distilled water to clean out the whole system. Also, do you losen the block drain plugs? I wasn't able to find the block drain plugs.

Scoob

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Pretty much what you said is true. Flushing with a hose does add contaminates that need not to be in there. I just drained the radiator and drained both block drain plugs on the motor. It took a while (probably 45 minutes) for all the old fluid to drain out.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Been using the garden hose method for years with no problems. I suppose if the area you live has hard water it might affect it, but so far no problems for me.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
I wonder what kind of fluid/water a Toyota Dealership would use when performing a flush. I am thinking hose water...

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have hard water and have to use a softner for my shower water. I am thinking if I could hook up a hose to my water heater, I'd get soft water that way but wonder if it's worth the trouble. I imagine a dealershop would have soft water if they are on city water.

Scoob

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
Might be worth the time to call the dealer. Ask what they charge to do the flush and what water source they use. Maybe you have a friend on city water that could let you use his/hers.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
You're welcome.

Some people will say strictly nothing but distilled water should go into the system because of the contamination factor. That is why I would want to know what the dealer is using. I am sure they have a machine that adds the proper percentage of coolant and maybe it has some type of special filtering device or something.

I would be leery of using hard water. I have well water and was thinking of flushing mine soon. Thanks for posting this because i will have to figure out how to make sure I get the cleanest water possible. I live in the sticks and the closest dealers are pretty far away. Plus, I am into doing servicing my self, with in my capabilities.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
You could do it the cheap way out and buy one of those Mr clean carwash things that filter the water from the hose end.
Never heard of that... is it just a little in line filter?

I have a small canister filter to filter out particles for my house water. I had a problem with fines in the system the second year after my well was drilled. No issues after that... the past 6 years. I have not even had to change out that cartridge. I could probably just run a hose off the kitchen sink or my laundry hookup to get the filtered water.

Don't know what level of contamination could cause failure in the coolant system.

Sounds like some research is in order. :D

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have one from awhile ago. Its nothing more than this attachment that goes on the end of your hose and it has a filter cartridge in it. Its by no means powerfull, but the thing is you use it to wash your car b/c the filter gets rid of contaminates and you dont have to towel dry.

It does work believe it or not, but im not sure if they still make them.

But in all honesty, I been using straight up gardenhose water for years with no issues at all. Im sure by now something woulda come back or blown if it was such a big deal.

·
Registered
306 Posts
If you are that concerned about failure from contaminants and hard water... Try this: Flush it with "hard" but at least filtered through an inline filter water. Then rinse some distilled water through the system. Fill with Distilled water and coolant...

Obviously just distilled water would be better, but when you don't have a choice... In an emergency I've used canal water as replacement coolant without an issues later on. I did do a quick water hose flush and fill...

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,546 Posts
What water you use for the flush doesn't make a whit of difference as long as it's clean. The amount left in there after a refill is insubstantial. If you are concerned, after hose-flushing, pour a few gallons of distilled in before you refill and let it drain.

Note that "soft" water has a fairly high saline level, so you should figure out what dissolved solids are present that make your local water "hard". Various types of dissolved solids, like phosphates, are actually added to coolant by the manufacturers to enable certain benefits such as corrosion resistance, etc.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you flush it out like the Haynes manual says and use hard water, you are still going to have some in the heater and the block. If you just want to flush the radiator, that is different, you can just drain it, add distilled water drain it, then fill up with Toyota coolant and you are ready to go. I for the life of me cannot locate the block coolant plugs.

Scoob

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
I am thinking if I could hook up a hose to my water heater, I'd get soft water that way
most hot water heaters have a drain connection on the bottom you can put a garden hose onto. won't be a lot of pressure, but it will work.

i've been flushing coolant systems for years with the garden hose hooked up to a prestone inline flush valves spliced into the heater hose....flushes core, rad, and block. never any problems and some of the cars were high hp cars (mustang and chevelle).

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
If you flush it out like the Haynes manual says and use hard water, you are still going to have some in the heater and the block. If you just want to flush the radiator, that is different, you can just drain it, add distilled water drain it, then fill up with Toyota coolant and you are ready to go. I for the life of me cannot locate the block coolant plugs.

Scoob
See attached...

Look on page EM-123

Attachments

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Finally :) i couldn't find mine as per Haynes manual diagram :( i flushed with garden hose and refilled with pure concentrate, but due to high amount of water left in the system only got 1 gal of concentrate in so its not 50/50 and its bugging me. wanna do it right way asap.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
what is "engine under cover"? as far as i understand the plug suppose to be on driver side under the exhaust manifolds? tried to look there with the mirror but couldn't find it :( So you suppose to get to it from up underneath the truck?:confused:

1 - 20 of 65 Posts