Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Toyota Seqouia with inoperative rear window and latch assemby (with broken plastic handle).

I read the threads discussing how you OPEN the rear liftgate by rolling down the window and prying up trim panels.

What if your WINDOW is inoperative, too? How do you open the read door from inside?

I've tried the bent metal through the outside access slot but I believe the latch assembly is stuck. I cannot feel any push bar inside that access hole.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
You have to remove the interior trim panels to gain access to the lock mechanism from the inside. It's the only way. It sucks. I've had to do it before.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed.
I started with the trim panel on the right side of the rear window (sitting inside the rear facing the window). I inserted a flat blade screwdriver under the bottom of the trim, just above the door panel. That position allowed me to get leverage on the bottom plastic button that I couldn't get trying from the glass side. Once the first, lowest button released, the rest soon followed. I then did the same of the left side.
As someone else said in earlier messages, you do NOT need to remove the trim at the top of the window.

I then followed instructions to disassemble the panel to gain access to the inside.
I inserted a long crescent wrench extension into the left Handle nut access hole after removing the rubber grommet and was able to press down on the lever that pulls the steel cable and the latch opened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts