Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a 96' Tacoma. After owning this for 11 years my yearly registration fee is down to under $100. I live in CA and I'm about to purchase an 07' DC V8 4x2. I know the new registration is based on weight and some other things. Anyone have the breakdown on this. I'm thinking my new registration is going to somewhere over $500. and will gradually go down in time.

How does the Dealership come up with the DMV fee for each vehicle? When they give you that cost can you also call DMV to make sure your not being overcharged or is it a pretty standard procedure and on the up and up? Thx.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Some of the DMVs have a ballpark price on the internet and some you can email and they will tell the price.

$50 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wow thats a deal....

i havent gotten mine yet but iv heard in Colorado they charge close to 1.5% of the purchase price... so i think im looking at ~$525....my WRX the first year was $400

·
Registered
7 Posts
The largest amount that you pay for vehicle registration in California is for the Vehicle License Fee (VLF). That portion is based on the value of your vehicle. So obviously, when you buy it, you'll pay the most, and the more you pay for the truck, the higher the VLF. Then it will go down from year to year and finally bottoms out at some point.

The "registration fee" is around 30 dollars and there are a couple other small fees if I recall correctly.

You could probably get all this info at the California DMV website.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The largest amount that you pay for vehicle registration in California is for the Vehicle License Fee (VLF). That portion is based on the value of your vehicle. So obviously, when you buy it, you'll pay the most, and the more you pay for the truck, the higher the VLF. Then it will go down from year to year and finally bottoms out at some point.

The "registration fee" is around 30 dollars and there are a couple other small fees if I recall correctly.

You could probably get all this info at the California DMV website.

I called DMV and spoke with someone who gave me a rough breakdown.

Based on Purchase of $32k

VLF - Vehicle Lic. Fee - $209.00
Weight 5k - 6k - $154.00
6k - 7k - $204.00
Reg. Fee - $31.00
Transfer to my name - $15.00
Plates - $18.00

So I come up with $427.00 - $477.00

They don't charge you for the vaseline. Ouch!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I called DMV and spoke with someone who gave me a rough breakdown.

Based on Purchase of $32k

VLF - Vehicle Lic. Fee - $209.00
Weight 5k - 6k - $154.00
6k - 7k - $204.00
Reg. Fee - $31.00
Transfer to my name - $15.00
Plates - $18.00

So I come up with $427.00 - $477.00

They don't charge you for the vaseline. Ouch!

you should fell lucky...i just got off the phone with colorado DMV and mine is going to be $701.00 !!!!!!!!! looks like they are going to charge me for the vaseline but not going to use it

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
It varies so much state to state, you might as well be in a different country when you ask that question. Oh wait a minute, you're in California, so you are in a different country. :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
In NC mine cost: Registration $15.00, Title Fee $40, HUT [highway use tax] $945.42 [this is a 3% sales tax]. I transferred a 7000 pound plate from an F350. Now annually, I will have to pay a county property tax of approx $200 based on some "book" value of the vehicle that will decrease over time and annually I will have to renew the license plate for approx $50 covering the 7K weight. Of course, every time I fill up I pay "gas tax" on each gallon which varies from state to state.

I thought CA had a "tax revolt" some years ago - did it help????

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you should fell lucky...i just got off the phone with colorado DMV and mine is going to be $701.00 !!!!!!!!! looks like they are going to charge me for the vaseline but not going to use it

How did they come up with $701.00? Are you buying a loaded limited that over $40k. I could see how that would jack up the vehicle license fee.

I'm not sure what these other guys are talking about? I'm talking about the new registration on a 07' DC 4x2 V8 Tundra. Not some old beater that's 10 yrs old.

I'd still rather pay a few bucks more and be in CA then a few bucks less and be in Texass.

·
Registered
110 Posts
texass lol...

I have no idea how they came up with that...i assume the same way yours was based on weight and purchase price.... i bought a SR5 double cab loaded for 35K....i think colorado is just on the high side for plates

·
Registered
352 Posts
How did they come up with $701.00? Are you buying a loaded limited that over $40k. I could see how that would jack up the vehicle license fee.

I'm not sure what these other guys are talking about? I'm talking about the new registration on a 07' DC 4x2 V8 Tundra. Not some old beater that's 10 yrs old.

I'd still rather pay a few bucks more and be in CA then a few bucks less and be in Texass.
$98.42 to register a 07 DC 4x4 limited.
And I'd rather pay more and be in Texas than pay nothing and live in Cali. again. Cost of living there sucks.
Jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
now that the thread has been hijacked..i'll continue it :) no one can complain...we pay taxes on top of registration here in nebraska. i only have an approx. price for tax/title/registration....it will be around $2100 total :cry: mine is due on the 13th..the vaseline and "warm ups" have begun ;-p.

·
Registered
352 Posts
now that the thread has been hijacked..i'll continue it :) no one can complain...we pay taxes on top of registration here in nebraska. i only have an approx. price for tax/title/registration....it will be around $2100 total :cry: mine is due on the 13th..the vaseline and "warm ups" have begun ;-p.
Are you talking about the new vehicle sales taxes that everyone pays or is this something you pay every year?

Jim

·
Registered
347 Posts
I paid $420 here in Calif. The dealership charged me $430 and just sent me a check for $10.

·
Registered
113 Posts
OK, I am sure I am not the only one that had to look that up.
Protectorate:A relationship of protection and partial control assumed by a superior power over a dependent country or region.
Cheers.:)

·
Registered
302 Posts
On the rv.net site I have read posts about the "least expensive" states to live in. Seems that TN and perhaps SD were near the top of the list. Of course, many of the rvnet folks are just looking for a place to buy plates for their toys - their toys travel to many other places such as beautiful CA on their way to baja or beautiful TX on their way to other places in Mexico.

About CA taxes, I read some time ago that Federal Gov't retirees who had worked most of their careers in CA were moving to Nevada to retire for reduced taxes and CA was trying to force them to pay CA income taxes on the portion of their retirement income derived from working in CA. Maybe Nevada is a protectorate of CA??????

1 - 20 of 24 Posts