Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be purchasing a 2007 Tundra Limited soon and have ordered it with the Code "5J" option back-up camera.

Today I test drove a Limited with this option and was not impressed! Conditions here were not ideal though. We have alot of snow on the ground or in areas where you might be backing up which made it almost impossible to see anything and the contrast made it just a blur of dark colors.

If anyone else has this option please give me any positive or negative feedback. I am questioning if I want to pay the $695 for it or find a aftermarket option.

Thanks KF

·
Registered
137 Posts
I test drove a limited DC with the backup camera option. But the camera was linked to the indash DVD navigation system. The results were clear, easy to see, and pretty accurate as to distance.

Is there a significant difference between the results from the DVD screen and the other option placing the screen above the rear view mirror?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I've got it without the NAV system, and I'm not impressed. Generally I can't see the tiny screen unless I move way forward, the angle is just wrong. There's too much glare on it from my normal driving position. Also the contrast under most situations hasn't been good enough to even tell what was behind me.

When the light is just right though it's been nice to be able to see directly behind the truck. It's just that's been rare so far.

That being said I have yet to try it for hooking up to my boat, since the boat is snowed in, so maybe once boating season is around I'll be glad it's there.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Its not just the snow, although that doesn't help. Its the cold. They don't work as well in the cold. They even mention this is the owner's manual. I like them a lot and would not hesitate to get one.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I've got it with the Nav system. I think it's pretty impressive. The fish-eye picture is good, even in low light situations. However, I have to be careful while backing up because I still find myself being mesmerized by the camera picture instead paying more attention looking out the windows.

As a footnote; I wasn't planning on getting the whole Nav/backup camera option on my new truck (I think it's about a $1,600 option). It just happen to be on the only Tundra I was interested in when I bought it. Now that I've had it for awhile, I'm okay with it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Does anyone know how the camera hooks up to either display? Would it be possible to get the camera without Navigation and hook it up to an aftermarket Navigation system?

I don't have any experience with the navigation system in the tundra, but I think Toyota navigation systems in general are overpriced and not as good as aftermarket, so this would be the ideal thing to do if it's possible.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses!

I do think the cold and it maybe being a little dirty had some to do with it.

Has anyone tried it at night. I would think without sevre sunlight and good bright back up lights on, that it should show how well it really does work.

Do wish to screen was a little bigger though. Cannot justify going all the way to the nav. option just to have the camera though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I am almost certain the backup camera will work with an eclipse unit. The parent company of eclipse makes the navigation units for toyota, and in the past they have had the same exact plugs in the back. I would imagine it is as simple as getting the camara (TRDsparks.com has it for $230) plugged into the factory wiring since all trucks are prewired for it, and then plugging the eclipse unit that supports a back up camera into the factory wiring, and it should work. You can get an eclipse unit for as little as $800 if you look around and then $230 for the camera, dowload a torrent of the up to day navigation software, and you should beat the toyota price for the option. In the gulf states region you would save 1800, since they charge nearly 3k for the option.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for all the responses!

I do think the cold and it maybe being a little dirty had some to do with it.

Has anyone tried it at night. I would think without sevre sunlight and good bright back up lights on, that it should show how well it really does work.

Do wish to screen was a little bigger though. Cannot justify going all the way to the nav. option just to have the camera though.
Have the dbl cab limited w/DVD NAV...Backup camera works well, the color is pretty good. Notice at night if you don't have some ambient light it is hard to see. The lights above the cab offer some light, however with the tail gate up it does not benefit from the light. Haven't experienced the glare others have mentioned......yet.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I love the camera as it has come in very handy a few times. Even at night I am able to see whats back there just from the reverse lights. I learned how to backup trucker style....window down and arm hanging out :cool:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hell, at night is when it works best. Think about the lighting issue... what happens when you put the truck into reverse aside from the back-up camera coming on. You have two very nice white lights shining exactly where you are about to go.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I am almost certain the backup camera will work with an eclipse unit. The parent company of eclipse makes the navigation units for toyota, and in the past they have had the same exact plugs in the back. I would imagine it is as simple as getting the camara (TRDsparks.com has it for $230) plugged into the factory wiring since all trucks are prewired for it, and then plugging the eclipse unit that supports a back up camera into the factory wiring, and it should work. You can get an eclipse unit for as little as $800 if you look around and then $230 for the camera, dowload a torrent of the up to day navigation software, and you should beat the toyota price for the option. In the gulf states region you would save 1800, since they charge nearly 3k for the option.
*bump* Can anyone confirm this? ;) I forsee a 07 Tundra in my future and would like to know. :ts:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had the OEM system with little monitor up by the rearview mirror installed after purchase. The Toyota camera is made by Panasonic and is integral to the tailgate handle/mechanism. The whole handle mechanism is replaced in the process, not just the bezel. Tailgate removal becomes more complicated by the wire loom added for the camera. Before removing the tailgate you would have to climb under the rear of the vehicle and remove the camera wiring plug between the bumper and spare tire followed by popping out the square plastic grommet under the tailgate area of the rear bed. Then it's conventional tailgate removal. I don't know may folks who remove their tailgate on a regular basis (save gooseneck/5th wheelers) so this shouldn't be a big deal and it is doable if the time comes.

I too have better results seeing the screen clearly if I lean forward and toward the center of the truck. This is not the best body position to be in while reversing a vehicle. When wearing my non-polarized sunglasses the image is even less clear. Also, if you wear polarized lenses you might loose the whole picture at certain head positions similar to any LCD display-type product (unconfirmed as I have not tried polarized sunglasses yet). So based on this and previous commentor Toyota must have got the screen view angle off. The injected molded plastic monitor housing that pops in aft of the mirror (replacing the sunglasses holder) doesn't fair in well and therefore leaves a little gap and uneveness along the edges and the color is not exactly perfect but good enough not to notice. It's the plastic part as molded so little can be done to improve the fit.

On another camera note, it's too bad Toyota doesn't allow the screen to activate in Neutral or Drive under 1 mph so you don't loose sight of your trailer during the hitching process if case you jockey back and forth.

All in all I am disappointed in the quality of the display while satisfied with the quality of the camera and the angle of view. But then again this is all part of being an "early adopter" of a new vehicle model. I am torn as to whether I would go to the effort of having it installed again. After all, it's really cool to be able to watch the touchless carwash machine boom come down behind the vehicle as you wait with your foot on the brake in reverse.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well, I drove on yesterday with the back-up camera. I've driven several with the Nav system and have been very impressed. I'm not quite so impressed with the stand-alone option. The screen is so small that its hard to make out detail. It is MUCH worse with polarized sunglasses and when backing from sunlight into shade.

If I were buying my own, I'd probably still get it, but would recognize that its only use is for hooking up a trailer. Other than that, its too hard to use.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
So, isn't it good for just glancing at it for a half-second before backing out of a parking space just to make sure there isn't a kid, bike, or something else back there behind the tailgate?

·
Registered
742 Posts
So, isn't it good for just glancing at it for a half-second before backing out of a parking space just to make sure there isn't a kid, bike, or something else back there behind the tailgate?
Personally, I wouldn't get it for this application. YMMV

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've got it on my truck. I don't have the DVD Nav system so I have the little LCD above the rearview mirror. It functions well and looks good, but as other posters have already said, you have to lean WAY forward to see the LCD. I can't believe that they didn't make the LCD angle adjustable in any way. Without leaning forward I can barely see anything--making it pretty useless, IMO.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't have to lean forward in mine but I'm only 5' 9" so my seat maight not be back as far as some. I find it serves my purposes well. I can back right into my boat trailer hitch without any help. It also has helped me when backing out of parking spaces in narrow lots. My only complaint is the thing with the polarized glasses. have slip my glasses down on my nose or I can't see very well. The fish eye camera just has to be gotten use to.

·
Banned
888 Posts
I dont understand someone "needing" such an option :confused:
Dont all Tundras come with three(3)some have (5) mirrors and a back glass ?

:confused:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I dont understand someone "needing" such an option :confused:
Dont all Tundras come with three(3)some have (5) mirrors and a back glass ?
It's one of those "if you have to ask, you just won't understand" things.

I suppose I don't "need" it. Heck, it's like when you've got a big load in back and you loose your rearview mirror and can only use the side mirrors. Yeah, it's doable with side mirrors alone but who can argue that having the center rearview mirror included is a far safer scenario.

My new Tundra's rearview camera is my first. After 3 months of use I wouldn't own another truck without it. It took some getting used to at first, but it makes a huge difference to me when backing out of a parking space in my longbed DCab. I also monitor it for any of my toddler nephews or nieces that may have strayed into my path between the time I've walked around the truck and get in and start the motor. The large tailgate all the way back of the 8' bed makes it completely impossible to see past about 20' behind the vehicle so the camera makes it all the much better. Heck, with the huge bed behind me I can barely see the tail end of a 20' flatbed when it's attached and a 16' is completely invisible except in the side view mirrors.

The #1 reason? You've just got to try to hook up a trailer with one. It's every bit as good as you standing next to the tongue the same time as you back up. Unbelievable. Better than having a helper back there giving hand signals (that is when you are lucky enough to have somebody around who knows how to direct you). Where has this technology been all my life? I'm going to get fat not having to jump in and out of the pickup going back and forth as I hook up trailers. And no more yanking steering-axle farm trailer tongues back and forth trying to get a trailer pin in.:tu:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts