Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to how good the air conditioner is in the new tundra.
My 96 tacoma would freeze you out.My 02 tundra is not as cold and and fan does not blow that much air ,takes a while to cool down even on recirculate.It gets hot here in the south east.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The two that I have driven have worked very well. Better than the AC in my 05 Tacoma.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Compared to my last Silverado, its a meat locker in my Tundra. Right now in South Florida its about 95 degrees outside and I keep my a/c fan on the first level and temp. on "low" and that is plenty cold for me.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I live in Western Arizona and it's all ready been over 100 degrees. I actually have to turn the fan and thermostat down in the truck because it gets too cold. It will be 6 months before I get to try the heater.............The Tundra's A/C is much better than my old 97 Silverado.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My 96 tacoma would freeze you out.My 02 tundra is not as cold and and fan does not blow that much air ,takes a while to cool down even on recirculate.It gets hot here in the south east.
The difference between the years of your two trucks coincides with the federal regaulatory changes in refrigerant that auto manufactures are allowed to use in vehicles. They used to be able to use something that did a better job of cooling (I think the old stuff was R12), but was terrible on the environment. Somewhere around year 2000, the Feds outlawed the original stuff, and now what's legal for use is something (I think it's called R134 or ???) that doesn't quite cool as well, but is also far less destrucive on the environment.

The differences in cooling ability are noticable between the two coolant types, and I'd imagine that's the difference you've observed. In my experience, it was too much of a difference, maybe 5F.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The differences in cooling ability are noticable between the two coolant types, and I'd imagine that's the difference you've observed. In my experience, it was too much of a difference, maybe 5F.[/QUOTE]

Hit the nail on the head. I had an R12 vehicle 'converted' to R134. With the R12, it could fast freeze pizzas, after conversion, it would keep you safe from heat stroke..... barely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in Western Arizona and it's all ready been over 100 degrees. I actually have to turn the fan and thermostat down in the truck because it gets too cold. It will be 6 months before I get to try the heater.............The Tundra's A/C is much better than my old 97 Silverado.
:tu: last week, outside air temp was 101. Set to auto, 76 degree, seemed like it reached the set temp very fast.........certainly faster then the Ford.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
That is good news. Living in Vegas, the a/c gets a work out for sure. Also, like the pass/driver split. Hoping to get truck this week, am looking forward to checking out all of the features first hand.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Compared to my last Silverado, its a meat locker in my Tundra. Right now in South Florida its about 95 degrees outside and I keep my a/c fan on the first level and temp. on "low" and that is plenty cold for me.
I also live in South Florida. It's freeking hot and my truck is my refuge. Takes about 45 seconds for the big CrewMax to burn the sweat off me.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It works great. No better, no worse than my 01 Chevy. It hasn't been over a 100* here yet, but will be far too soon, then I'll really know how they compare.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I live in memphis right and we get some muggy delta heat coming off the mississippi. This weekend it showed 92 on the temp read out and I bet the humidity was 100%. When you stepped out of the truck it was tough to even breath but the ac worked great I would say comparable to my wifes rx.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I live just down the I-65 from you. Mine is cold as a witch's ---- in brass brazzierre... You might want your dealership to check it for leaks!!!:devil:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Mine blows out icecubes...no issues.
LOL! mine too. my wife loves havin' the dual climate control, cuz' she's ALWAYS cold, lol.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Not as good as my 2005 Silverado but on par with my 2005 Superduty. The Tundra has a large front windshield and all that glass with a dark dash makes the cab heat up very quickly when parked in full sun (Southwestern desert dweller here). The Siverado has less glass and sun impact but the Superduty has lots of glass too. It takes longer to get the Tundra cab cool than I would have expected but okay for longer drives.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mine doesn't seem as cold as some of you described. I haven't been able to get 'cold' and the other day in the 90's it seemed like I really had to crank it to keep it comfortable. It seems to take a bit to cool down too. Should I have it checked? I have nothing to compare it to since my old truck didn't have ac.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I live in AZ to. Its hot as all hell!!! Even more so now because the monsoon is starting and we now have the humidity to go with the heat. My AC is perfect! :tu:

·
Registered
98 Posts
It has been mid 90s with high humidity all week here, and my Crewmax a/c works great. The fan is much quieter, yet stronger than my 00 Tahoe, which like many GMs I've owned, developed an annoying squeak early in its life at low speed settings.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mid 90's here plus humidity about the same. AC will still make your teeth chatter...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts