Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
yeah, people are disgusting these days...its ridiculous what people will do to make some quick money. hope your cat stays where its meant to be on your truck and hopefully the cops find the scum bags..

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
This has become a popular crime and Tundra Trucks seem to be some of the easiest to remove.
Here is an example of what these are worth. I just turn in 5 catalytic converter that I've had sitting in my garage for years, two were large Ford F150 cats, the others universal replacement cats that have very little value. I netted $350.00 mostly from the two big cats.
Good news, with the world economy taking a nose dive. The value of these should be dropping, making thieving less tempting. :spy:
Mike

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
It's got me fairly worried, considering that Its only like an hour form where I live.
Just keep your engine running at all times. They're hard to steal if they are scalding hot.

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Here in Indy the metal theft became such a problem that you now have to have a file of your information at the scrapyard you do business with. Construction sites no longer use copper pipe, air conditioners are secured with steel cables behind chain link fences, and aluminum gutters and siding vanishes off of houses in the middle of the night.

There is a sheriff's deputy at the yard during operation hours. You have to provide your photo ID, they check your license plate and inspect your load very thoroughly. Anything that doe not come across as 100% on the up and up gets pulled and checked against a running database of reported stolen parts. State law.

This all came about because some clown stole several hundred manhole covers and sewer grates one night and then tried to drive a semi-load of them across the scales at a scrap yard. The state could not have cared less if it had been my catalytic converter but when it came to their property the bill passed into law in record time.

Even so, I still think that the worse the economy gets the more desperate some people will get and theft seems to be the underground living of choice. At least now if something does come up missing one phone call alerts all the scrap yards in the area and they are pretty good about catching these guys. If a scrap yard gets caught not inspecting incoming loads they can get shut down. If they knowingly buy stolen parts they can lose their license altogether.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Ya, its a big problem here in orange county, CA. I just had my cats engraved with the last 6#'s of the vin, then spraypainted bright orange.

This was all done for free, by the Anahiem police dept.

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
my neighbor got his heating oil siphoned last week. a couple thousand dollars worth of fuel ripped off.

people are s**t.
He doesn't have a lock on his oil tank cap?

·
Registered
138 Posts
He doesn't have a lock on his oil tank cap?
neither do we. how is that supposed to work?
"hey guys, i got to take off for a bit, going to go unlock my heating tank so the oilman can fill it..."

or maybe the oil people supply the locks?

in most parts of Alaska, people leave the front door unlocked.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Peaches- My friend owns a car lot down off Miramar and had 13 of them stolen in 1 night. My friend in your neck of the woods San Marcos had 3 stolen from cars at his shop. A girl I kow had her car stolen and when they found it only the cat was missing???

The good news is my other friend with a Shop in San Marcos said the price of these converters dropped in half recently. He used to sell bad/used converters for about $100 and now only $50. So maybe the risk will be less worth it to these scumbags.

PS I live in Murrieta:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts