Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had to replace a RED OPTIMA battery before on there car or truck? If so, how long did the battery last?

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
The only 1 I ever had a problem with was 5 years old. It just died, mostly my fault.
I dont drive the stang as much as I should to keep it charged and forgot to trickle charge it. Other than that, Never had a problem.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Suppsedly lots of problems with Optimas. I use Odyssey. Used it in my 4 runner previosuly for 7 years and it was still going stron.

·
Premium Member
2,365 Posts
The red top I have in my 69 Torino has been in use since 1997 (seven years). I run a "Battery Tender" charger on it during the winter when the car hibernates. I'll be replacing the original battery in my 2000 Tundra with an Optima in the Tundra before the snow flies. :tu:

Larry

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies.

Sounds like 7 years is the common # here.

·
Registered
237 Posts
talk to some audio installers for cars. Most of them will steer you away from Optima as there is better, cheaper, more reliable stuff out there.

I am not saying all of the Optimas are bad, and I am sure a lot of people have some that are working just fine. But Several of the audio guys I talked to showed me piles of Optimas that had problems after a few months.

It may or may not be the norm, but I didnt want to bother with it.

·
Tundra Racing Development
1,070 Posts
My entire family runs the Optima red top, that has to say something about it.
Tundra, Altima, 99 Passat, 03 Passat, 99 Eclipse, 98 ZX2 and not to mention all my past cars. I stand behind Optimas performance 100%.
Maybe it has something to do with getting them all from the dist off Miramar.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Optimas are garbage.

I am still an optima dealer even though I don't sell them anymore. For every 10 I sold I probably got 9 of them back within the first 2 years. They wouldn't hold a charge. I doesn't seem to matter red/yellow/ or blue. I had a yellow deep cycle in my own wrangler that was junk before it was 2 years old. It wouldn't hold a charge if you let it sit more that 2 days without starting. For those of you who don't believe me, wait until you have to try and warranty your battery. I still have 4 at my shop that I can't get optima to adjust that are all less than 3 years old.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Ok, this is a crosspost, but I think its good to post it here as well:

The battery I got (Odyssey Marine Battery) will pretty much be overkill for you. I am running a lot of power for my car stereo (almost 2000 watts), backup sensors, etc. The car audio place told me I either had to run 2 batteries or 1 of the Odyssey batteries. The batteries are made by Hawker who supplies the batteries to the US Military.

I had a Odyssey battery in my old 4 Runner. It was tiny. It looked like a motorcycle battery. It ran a 650 watt stereo system and the difference in bass resposnse from when I changed from an acid battery was incredible and my lights stopped dimming when the bass hit. It was going strong on year 8!!!!!! I think I paid $90 for it installed. I was so impressed with it that I IMMEDIATELY ditched the stock Toyota Battery when I bought my currenty Sequoia and replaced it with the ODYSSEY even though nothing was wrong with it. It was one of the first things I did.

The one I have in my Seq (what I own now) is the PC1700. Its a deep cycle marine battery. Those will always run more.

The numbers reveal the PC1700's capabilities. Hawker rates the largest member of the Odyssey line at a conservative 1175 cranking amp (their website now says 1700 amps!!!!) . This is 200+ (I guess that makes it now 725 amps more powerful with the new info!) amps more than similar dry- or gel-cell batteries. Best of all, for those of us forced to use single battery systems, the Odyssey has a 156 minute reserve capacity. This measure indicates the time the battery can support a 25A load to 10.5V per module.

The Odyssey also discharges/recharges durably, charges quickly, and requires no maintenance. Hawker designs in a three to eight year service life, depending upon usage. their battery can be discharged to 100% a full 400 times, or 500 times if only discharged to 80%. For serious winch users, that represents a tremendous advantage over conventional batteries. With charging characteristics similar to those of a Ni-Cad battery, the Odyssey can be charged to 95% in under 20 minutes.

Odyssey combines in one box the characteristics of two batteries. It can deep cycle as well as provide serious cranking power. These batteries are capable of providing engine cranking pulses of 1700a for 5 sec as well as 400 charge/discharge cycles to 100% depth of discharge (DOD). A typical battery can do one or the other, but not both. With other batteries such as Optima, you must decide between a deep cycle or a high power starting battery, but Odyssey does both.

The cranking power of a Odyssey battery is double to triple that of equally sized conventional batteries, even at low temperatures.
Also with simple constant voltage charging, there is no limitation on the inrush current. This means you can charge your battery with as many amps as your charger, alternator, stator, or generator can put out as long as it doesn't exceed 15 volts. Lead acid, gel cell, and other AGM batteries can only accept 10amps per hour during charge.

The structural design of the Odyssey is another advantage for off-road enthusiasts. Hawker designed the battery from the ground up to withstand severe vibration, shocks, and impacts. The sealed, metal-jacketed drycell design allows mounting in all but inverted positions.

The Odyssey is a fully sealed, rechargeable deep cycle battery. Unlike a gel cell, the Drycell uses an absorbed electrolyte design with glass mat separating positive and negative plates. These batteries utilize pure lead tin technology, invented and patented by Hawker Energy over two decades ago. This proprietary design prevents drying that occurs in conventional 'valve-regulated lead acid' batteries. The design also eliminates positive terminal corrosion. With this design, Hawker Energy's batteries avoid the two most common failure modes for conventional batteries, drying and corrosion.

I paid $200 for my battery installed. The install was easy...thats because I had my car audio guy do it! It weighs almost 60 pounds!!!!

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/ - check out their site.

IMHO these batteries blow away Optimas. You can get smaller batteries that cost lest than the model I bought and perform better than the OPtima's you are bying at Costco. And I have NEVER heard of a defective Odyssey battery yet (unlike Optima..just talk to high end car audio shops, a lot of them won't use Optimas because of the failure rate). A lot of times people get caught up on a familiar name when there is much better stuff out there. The familar stuff (ie. Optima, PIAA, Zaino, etc) may be OK, but there is better stuff out there. Just because you are not familiar with it, doesnt mean that it doesnt kick @ss

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
I had one in my Mustang for 12 years before it leaked acid from the positive post. No problems what so ever.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Which model do you like for the 06 Tundra's? The PC1500?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
YES! The Optima Red Top Battery in my 1992 Toyota Pickup 4cyl with air conditioning, lasted 9 years. I bought it in December 1997 and replaced it in January 2007. In its last months it was getting weaker but still started the truck in the winter. I ran the battery completely down a good number of times from leaving the headlights on at work; after getting jump started I drove it on the freeway to recharge and had no problems, this throughout the life of the battery. The previous Interstate battery lasted a little over 3 years, the orginal a little less than 3 years but this was entirely in Arizona. My Interstate and Optimas were spent entirely in Denver, Colorado. The 2 wheel drive truck was driven on some pretty bad roads that I thought would pop the bolts of of the frame on body construction so yes, the anti-vibration feature of the Optima was put to use. My main reason for buying an Optima was that I needed a "clean" battery that would not corrode the terminals as I have the power lead for my security system attached to the battery. In the entire time I owned the battery it never leaked and there was never corrosion on the terminals so it lived up to its promise. I replaced it with another Optima Red Top and I won't buy anthing else.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I had one in my Mustang for 12 years before it leaked acid from the positive post. No problems what so ever.

WOW!! Bringing back a thread that is 4 years old. Nicely done :yo: :heh:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just my two cents worth on Odyssey which make Diehard Platinum PM31. The Diehard in my truck is less than 10 months old and won't hold a charge and it is the second one of these in 3 years the first died at 18 months. The second one was regularly charged and conditioned on a Digital charger made for agm batteries. I think Odyssey either suck or the supposedly great die hard platinum is a huge piece. I bought a red top to replace and will back that up with a yellow in the near future. I guess only the future will tell if the redtop is junk as well

·
Registered
102 Posts
Had red top for 2 years now with zero problems, only had it die once but that was after 5 hours of the radio blaring with sub going without the truck running (kinda a test to see how long it'd last) other than that holds up well considering 4-5 times a week im using it to jump start tractors and combines on the farm, ive been very happy with it

·
Registered
1 Posts
In 2002 I bought a brand new Mitsubishi Diamante that came with a Diehard battery that lasted 4 years. I replaced it with another Diehard after 5 years and almost 200k miles. In 2010 I bought a brand new Rav4, 6-cyl, full loaded. Its battery, don't remember the brand, died 5 years later in 2015. I replaced it with an Optima red top. The next month will be its 5-year anniversary. It doesn't give bad signs yet, we'll see. These cars were well maintained and mostly driven highway miles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts